My Garrison ToD fedora & extra Indy stuff

S. Dakota Jones

Today I received an email from David at www.garrisonhatters.com, saying that my fedora had been shipped on Saturday*squeal*...low and behold an hour after getting the email it was at my door!

This is the hat box that was inside the shipping box. I'll be holding onto this for any shipping storage that may come up. It also has David's label in the corner.
1404156536.jpg~c100

Here it is upon opening, crown down with "fresh hat smell" filling my nostrils
1404156538.jpg~320x480

Here it is after the first attempt to put the looser pinch in it. I'm afraid to put too much on it but in some ToD shots it appears to have a tighter pinch...I'll probably pick a scene and then sit down and work for that. With and without flash.
1404156568.jpg~320x480
1404156532.jpg~320x480

side shot
1404156553.jpg~320x480

Here it is next to my Todd's Raiders "Downtowner" for comparison. Garrison on the left and the Todd's on the right.
1404156541.jpg~320x480

1404156544.jpg~320x480

1404156550.jpg~320x480

I tried to get them side by side but don't be fooled the Todd's really is a bit bigger than the Garrison but not as bad as it looks in the pic. The Downtowner is pretty stiff so I tried to push it down flat to better show the height difference.
1404156551.jpg~320x480

The ToD was a little snug when I first put it on but I've been wearing it for a couple hours now and it feels great, def ain't coming off in this Oklahoma wind lol. I believe it felt more snug at first because my melon is a bit more oval shaped. The Garrison is very nice and soft compared to my Todd's and feels a lot lighter on the head. It is also more proportionate to my head than Todd's but considering one is mass produced and one is completely custom, it makes sense. Overall, I LOVE this hat and will probably get a Streets of Cairo from David in the future.

Thank you David for making my hat and Thank you Mr. Fusion for pointing the way :whip:

jsarino

The hat looks great! Just out of curiousity, how tall is the crown on the Garrison vs. the Todd's?

S. Dakota Jones

I'll see if I can measure it. I'm about to leave for a month to go to 2 schools and have been packing and getting paperwork squared away before I leave. I'll probably measure it and after I get situated, let you know ;) .

I need to take some pics of all my Indy stuff anyways :p

S. Dakota Jones

The rest of my stuff

OK, finally got some pics taken now that I'm back home. Jsarino, I'll work on those crown measurements lol.

Here's the stand where most of my gear sits in the corner near the front door. This living room also works as my somewhat prop room/man cave.
20140805_181513.jpg~320x480

Here's an all Raiders setup.
20140805_181630.jpg~320x480

All ToD
20140805_181800.jpg~320x480

The only thing that pulls double duty is the jacket.

My meager Prop collection/display. I have a new stand ordered for the Han Solo blaster so it can be on it's own. The rack it's on is sturdy enough but distracting with it on there. The idol is solid resin with gold paint and weighs a ton lol. Still need a good headpiece and Grail, Grail diary to finish.
20140805_181321.jpg~320x480

20140805_181341.jpg~320x480

20140805_181420.jpg~320x480

These two are my favorite shots. Inspired by an avatar of someone on a movie prop site.

20140805_182247.jpg~320x480
20140805_182050.jpg~320x480

A breakdown of my gear.

Raiders:
Jacket - Todd's, that was heavily weathered and washed by the previous owner. I love it.
Mk VII - A real mkVII bag with Todd's bagstrap. In it is a pair of Todd's gloves(weathering done by me).
Gunbelt - Also Todd's, with his adjustable whip holder. I need to get another one as this one is a little short. It fits just fine, but there's not much of a 'tail' since I ordered the right length lol.
Fedora - Todd's Downtowner model. Working to accurize and weather it to match the jacket and MkVII. I want to give it a more Streets of Cairo or near the end of the movie look.

Temple:
Fedora - Garrisonhatters ToD model
MkVII - Todd's repro bag and "Makeitjones" strap.
gunbelt - a cheapo "for now" belt bought at target(IIRC), with a "Creasencorral" double strap whip holder. I know, not screen accurate but holds the whip better than other single strap whip holders.

Not shown:
Wested shirt
Todd's repro pants(these things are soo comfortable)
Alden 405's.
web belt - surplus web belt.

S. Dakota Jones

Thank you, and yes it is. There are more and closer pics of it in the Firefly thread if you're interested(shameless plug):hat:

I used to have more props(some completed and some not) but had to let them go unfortunately. I also have a Han Solo gunbelt that sits in the other corner. I'll try to take some pics of that and get them up.

Mods: Is there a way this thread could be retitled to "My Indy stuff + extras" or something similar? I can't edit the first thread to change the title.

Last edited:

Drones33

S. Dakota Jones said:
Thank you, and yes it is. There are more and closer pics of it in the Firefly thread if you're interested(shameless plug):hat:

I used to have more props(some completed and some not) but had to let them go unfortunately. I also have a Han Solo gunbelt that sits in the other corner. I'll try to take some pics of that and get them up.

Mods: Is there a way this thread could be retitled to "My Indy stuff + extras" or something similar? I can't edit the first thread to change the title.

I`d love to see some pics of your Han Solo gunbelt. I`m currently on the look out for a decent Han Solo Blaster, seen a couple on ebay. One is a resin kit, the other is a painted toy by the look of it. I may have to try to get my hands on a replica Mauser and take it from there. Difficult to get hold of in the UK though. Where is yours from, looks great?(y)

jsarino

S. Dakota Jones said:
OK, finally got some pics taken now that I'm back home. Jsarino, I'll work on those crown measurements lol.

Still waiting. ;)

S. Dakota Jones said:
There are more and closer pics of it in the Firefly thread if you're interested(shameless plug):hat:

Plug away my man, plug away. :D

S. Dakota Jones

Hahaha, finally got to the measurements J, thanks for being patient.

Todd's downtowner, I tried to get it as flat as possible since it's so firm but got it done. It came in at 5 3/4" from the counter surface to the top of the center of crown and 5 1/2" from the ribbon to the top of the crown.

Garrison ToD was 5 1/2" from the counter surface to the top of the center of the crown and 5" from the ribbon to the center of the crown.

Working on more blaster and Han gunbelt pics, should have them up shortly.

S. Dakota Jones

Ok, took some pictures finally.

First up is the blaster, and now I've got it on an actual stand. This poor bad boy has been spent most of it's life in storage, normally in the holster and packed up. It hasn't really been on display much and has taken a bit of a beating on the finish(moreso than the "years after Hoth/Bespin" I was going for). One of these days I will strip it back down and start over and refinish/reweather it lol. I also have a few new parts I have to install that have been researched and discovered.

As far as what it's made of: I've had it(completed) since winter '02. It is a denix based gun sine an MGC is waay outside my budget. I would buy a real C96 mauser for the prices an MGC goes for and convert a live firing one(I'm not crazy, it's been done 2-3 times that I know of lol).

Anyways, it is an ALL metal replica other than the wood grips. No resin on this baby. The Revel engine V8 parts and the m19 scope were cast from brass. The scope is hollow and there are "lenses" in it and you can see through it. No reticle or anything inside the scope though. The mount and all hardware is of course, metal. These parts were aquired through a group buy build I was a part of at that time.

Onto the pics:
ESBHanside-1.jpg~320x480

ESBHanrear-1.jpg~320x480

ESBHanfront-1.jpg~320x480

20140822_181439.jpg~320x480

The gun rig. Except for my Luke ESB lightsaber(real graflex), replica, this is the oldest prop item I own. It is an early MP filmcraft http://www.mpfilmcraft.com/mpfilmcraft/Han.html rig I bought in early 2001. Back then, he was the only one doing these and yes it still fits lol actually its a little on the loose side to be honest lol.

This too has seen it's share of neglect( :sick: ). The leather could use a dye job on it as it has lost a lot of the darker reddish brown color, most noticeable around the holster. Matt weathered it for me when he made it(the "stains" you see). The buckles are in the ESB configuration and at the time I had mine made, he wasn't doing the circle piece. This was recently purchased and added by me because I had gotten out of the prop game for quite a long time before getting back into it last year, mostly due to getting my Indy stuff lol.

Ok, I'll shut up, onto the pics.
20140830_181619.jpg~320x480

20140830_181651.jpg~320x480

20140830_181635.jpg~320x480

The belt "tools" are also a recent addition. Purchased and finished them over the summer. All are resin pieces of their found parts and finished/painted by me. I don't have such a steady hand ugh, need to redo the "comlink" on the far right. Don't have the droid caller that goes on the "C" clip on the non holster side. There are resin replicas out there as the kobold flash that was used are pretty rare and expensive to buy if/when you find them, but there might be a better replica being made that I'm kind of holding out for...but I may spring for a resin one as the kits are simple and I like putting them together. I'm not a tenth a craftsman as a lot of the other prop builders out there are but I can put a few things together lol.

20140830_181645.jpg~320x480

20140830_181715.jpg~320x480

Hope you enjoyed.

ETA:

Drones33 said:
I`d love to see some pics of your Han Solo gunbelt. I`m currently on the look out for a decent Han Solo Blaster, seen a couple on ebay. One is a resin kit, the other is a painted toy by the look of it. I may have to try to get my hands on a replica Mauser and take it from there. Difficult to get hold of in the UK though. Where is yours from, looks great?

As far as the replicas out there, I would either go with MP like mine, even though they are spendy OR a newer cheaper one is now made by Todd's http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/han-solo-costume/han-solo-holster-rig/ . I haven't seen one in person but it looks good and is pretty reasonably priced. The people I know who have bought them have really liked them. If I didn't have one, I would probably buy on from Todd before any one else. Also, Anovos http://www.anovos.com/collections/star-wars/products/star-wars-han-solo-hoster-rig-set , is a new official licsensee who also makes them and they DO have access to all the archives and have been making their products with as close to the same materials as the originals as they can...and it's also why their stuff is spendy. I want to get one of the Han ESB costumes but...ouch.

As far as the ebay ones are...well buyer beware but of course if you like it and it works for your collection, get it and enjoy. I know there are many things out there I either don't buy or what I do get is "good enough" because some of that stuff is just too expensive and even for props..sometimes "idealized" looks a ton better than the actual item.

Last edited:

micsteam

Thanks S. Dakota Jones for sharing your Indy and Han Solo items !!! I checked out mpfilmcraft's website and had no idea the difference in the holster rigs or better yet the blasters from movie to movie !!! He's very detailed and talented, maybe one of these days ..... :hat:

S. Dakota Jones

Thanks, glad you like them! I have a couple of lightsabers too and I have a long awaited piece that I am counting down for:confused:

Honestly, if I was to buy one now, I would go with the ANOVOS one. Not only did they have access to the actual gunbelt from the archives but the set they are offering comes with all the buckles and belt tools to create ANY version you want. I don't recall if it comes with the droid caller or not but even if it doesn't, the company will produce one at a later time or there are a few good makers out there.

Drones33

That's a thing of beauty. When I first saw Star Wars as an eleven year old, and for many years after, Han's blaster was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Always wanted one, and after seeing yours I'm inspired; adding one to my collection is my new quest.
Thanks for posting the photos.

Ever seen this? Adam Savage ( of Mythbusters ) builds Solo's DL-44 blaster...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sCReGjfZ_A

S. Dakota Jones

Droopydoos.com makes some really good resin blaster replicas. I have been thinking about getting g one of their stormtrooper blaster kits. They are also located in the uk and they are offered as kits so they take some work, but just needs some effort.

Thanks for posting the video, I had not seen that one. I did watch the one where he made his own bullwhip.

Teneas

I have an order with David right now. Past the estimated time for completion, and so very little communication. So anxious!!! I know that his work is good from what everyone says, and just can't wait to get my hat. Not a fan of no communication though.

Love your ToD hat! I have a ToD on order from Steele and Jones.

David is making a custom fedora for me though. :)

S. Dakota Jones

Thank you, I love it too!

Mine took a little longer too, but he is also a one man operation and he got swamped a few months ago after a death in the family. I still want one of his "Streets of Cairo" fedoras.

Steele and Jones makes some fantastic stuff. I really want to jump on board with their ToD jacket they're working on but just can't right now, maybe early or mid next year I'm hoping.

jsarino

S. Dakota Jones said:
Hahaha, finally got to the measurements J, thanks for being patient.

Todd's downtowner, I tried to get it as flat as possible since it's so firm but got it done. It came in at 5 3/4" from the counter surface to the top of the center of crown and 5 1/2" from the ribbon to the top of the crown.

Garrison ToD was 5 1/2" from the counter surface to the top of the center of the crown and 5" from the ribbon to the center of the crown.

No worries! I was trying to get an idea of crown heights...looks like both ended up then as the same height as HF's fedora. I keep forgetting to measure my Akubra Fed IV Deluxe, so I've been a bit tardy myself. :p