John Williams confirmed for Indy IV...

Ste2652

Eric Solo said:
100 years from now he will be celebrated like Beethoven, Mozart, etc.

I sincerely hope so, because 'genius' is the only word I can think of to describe him and his work...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
He's also up for Lincoln and Harry Potter 7... not retiring any time soon!
http://fsm.rciwebhosting.net/board/posts.cfm?threadID=44398&forumID=1&archive=0
I hope Speilberg shoots an image like the ride into the sunset to last well into the credits, which will possibly be the only place he really cranks up the raiders march. I just wonder, what will be the song's bridge? Previously it was Marion's theme, Short Round's theme, and the keeper of the grail... all indicative of the main relationship Indy formed in the movie. Okay, it will be Mutt's theme... I just hope it doesn't sound like something from Grease. I bet he's studying his Russian composers right now, and may even have conceived tunes years back...

sarah navarro

:D I love Russian style music ex. composer Modest Mussorgsky(which I love right now), so im very excited about the new Indy score.A scary Russian theme for the villians,John Williams is definitly gonna be talked about in the next 100 yrs!Hes just as good of a composer as Beethoven ,Mozart etc.maybe even better,hes a freakin music master,it doesnt get as good as John Williams .

...John Williams your my idol:eek:

commontone

I love John Williams' work, but sorry, he's not Beethoven or Mozart. He's certainly brilliant at matching film with utterly appropriate, unique, memorable themes. He's a sincerely gifted man, one of the very best film composers ever. And yes, he's made some great contributions outside of film (the Olympics, for one).

But he's not a savant, or a so mind-bogglingly brilliant man that he's driven a little crazy by his genius, as Mozart or Beethoven were. Having read about those people, they were simply at another level, beyond what most human beings can hope to be.

John Williams will be talked about in 100 years though, for providing the music to so many cultural touchstones. I do love him. Just have to state my position :)

sarah navarro

Just an opinion,all I listen to is Classical music and sometimes I think...If John Williams was alive back then would he of been just as famous (savant)?I think maybe ...maybe John Williams hasnt gone crazy yet because he takes his pills.:)

sarah navarro said:
Just an opinion,all I listen to is Classical music

Ew, how can you get by on just one genre of music? Diversity makes the world go 'round. That includes diversity in music. I try and find one album from every genre (and no there's not just 5 genres... there are hundreds of musical genres) that I like. Why limit yourself? Keep an open-mind. Experiment.

sarah navarro

Its mostly what I listen to, I do like others but mostly classical anything orchestral.I like some rock i guess ,not any of the screaming death metal or emo stuff ewwww .I like some rap more than rock sometimes but I am in a symphonic band so thats what I enjoy I hope to become a professional muscian someday like in the L.A philharmonic.:)
Why you dont like classical?

by the way I get told that all the time;) I really dont enjoy the other stuff I dont know whats wrong with me.

sarah navarro said:
Its mostly what I listen to, I do like others but mostly classical anything orchestral.I like some rock i guess ,not any of the screaming death metal or emo stuff though .I like some rap more than rock sometimes but I am in a symphonic band so thats what I enjoy.:)
Why you dont like classical?

Who said I don't like classical music? I love classical music. I love many, many, many forms of music. I listen to genres that you likely didn't even know existed...

sarah navarro

ResidentAlien said:
Who said I don't like classical music? I love classical music. I love many, many, many forms of music. I listen to genres that you likely didn't even know existed...
I changed up my Quote if you didnt notice,sorry no offense...
Jeebus

sarah navarro said:
I changed up my Quote if you didnt notice,sorry no offense...
Jeebus

Heh. I see.

I'm currently listening to Stan Brakhage's old radio program, "The Test of Time." He plays these wonderful old noise recordings and chants and all sorts of insanely obscure recordings then discusses the importance and concepts behind the recordings.

What's wrong with you? You probably just don't have the exposure... no problem; better yourself by exposing yourself. It's not a crime to not be exposed to different things. It is though a shame not to do something to correct that.

Though I should probably clarify my point cause that last message sounds condescending on reflection.

I myself always experiment with different things be it music, literature, film, or art of any sort. That's how we grow. I feel it's very important to stay aware and remain open-minded. Sticking to one thing is fine and dandy... but limiting. Why limit yourself when there's so much out there? Allow yourself to grow. That was my point.

sarah navarro

I try but it never seems that I dont like anything!It kinda sucks dont teenagers usually like all different types of music?im the only one most of the music out these days is crappy emo screaming stuff,which everyone seems to love.
I can tell you some music I HATE : Country ,Death metal,Emo,and synthesized movie scores they sound cheesy,freestyle jazz.
I always try not to limit myself ,im just so in love with it.and when i said thats all i listen too i didnt mean it literally,but thats what i like the most.

sarah navarro said:
I try but it never seems that I dont like anything!It kinda sucks dont teenagers usually like all different types of music?im the only one most of the music out these days is crappy emo screaming stuff,which everyone seems to love.
I can tell you some music I HATE : Country ,Death metal,Emo,and synthesized movie scores they sound cheesy,freestyle jazz.
I always try not to limit myself .

Yes, but there's so much more music than that.

And for the record, I ADORE Free Jazz. I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of Free Jazz in fact. So chaotic--it's like the ultimate deconstruction and destruction of the human psyche. I love all forms of jazz save for that contemporary "smooth jazz" stuff. Eww. Kenny G be damned. :p

I dislike Emo... that's the one genre I have to break my own rule for. There is not one redeeming album in that entire mess of a "genre." Mainstream marketable crap. It's a trend that will pass. Give it a few years.

I'm a large fan of Progressive/Symphonic Rock and Metal...

But what you mentioned is all just recent stuff. Popular stuff. Trust me, there's far more music out there than what you hear on the radio.

PM me if you want a nice run-down... I'm sure I can find some wonderful symphonic rock albums to suggest...

Shortie

I agree that Williams will be remembered. He created the classic horror song (Jaws), the classic action song (Raiders March) & the song oof evil (Imperial March). Some of the most recognizable pieces of music.

No Ticket

ResidentAlien said:
Yes, but there's so much more music than that.

And for the record, I ADORE Free Jazz. I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of Free Jazz in fact. So chaotic--it's like the ultimate deconstruction and destruction of the human psyche. I love all forms of jazz save for that contemporary "smooth jazz" stuff. Eww. Kenny G be damned. :p

I dislike Emo... that's the one genre I have to break my own rule for. There is not one redeeming album in that entire mess of a "genre." Mainstream marketable crap. It's a trend that will pass. Give it a few years.

I'm a large fan of Progressive/Symphonic Rock and Metal...

But what you mentioned is all just recent stuff. Popular stuff. Trust me, there's far more music out there than what you hear on the radio.

PM me if you want a nice run-down... I'm sure I can find some wonderful symphonic rock albums to suggest...

I like and appreciate pretty much ALL forms of music in one way or another. It's the PIECE of music I either like or don't like, not the genre/style.

I am a very open-minded individual I would think. I approach most things with the thinking that it could be something new, exciting, refreshing, etc. introduced into a world of mediocrity. In other words, the old "new" things are now just "old" and I need something else.

Which is why I'm always ready to try new foods and watch new films or listen to a new band, etc.

No Ticket said:
I like and appreciate pretty much ALL forms of music in one way or another. It's the PIECE of music I either like or don't like, not the genre/style.

I am a very open-minded individual I would think. I approach most things with the thinking that it could be something new, exciting, refreshing, etc. introduced into a world of mediocrity. In other words, the old "new" things are now just "old" and I need something else.

Which is why I'm always ready to try new foods and watch new films or listen to a new band, etc.

Yep, exactly my philosophy. Keep experimenting because there's always stuff out that beyond anything you could imagine; it's those sparks of creativity, those haunting pieces of art that make life so worthwhile. Just because it plays on the radio doesn't make it good. There is so much music, so many films, so much art that never gets mass exposure. That stuff often is the most interesting because often those are the pieces that break conventions.

Kingsley

But you must learn to like new music, films, art.
Its very unlikely you will like something new instantly. It's a process and an investion that will finally be rewarded, with your mind and taste expanded.

Comfort plays a role against that, and sometimes I find myself trapped in comfort. The older I became, the comfortable I feel with what I already appreciate... danger! I think I'm getting lazy.(n)

Indie House

I'm sure John Williams will do a great job with the new score. I love his compositions and am a huge fan of his work.

I marvel, however, at how every post is singing his praises without any degree of hesitation. Yet Spielberg, the father of the trilogy we know and love, is at times given less than the benefit of the doubt as to his abilities to direct an amazing fouth installment.

I wonder how many would still love the score if there was no Raiders March reprise. Perhaps everybody's confidence in Williams is really a reflection of their certainty that the original music will play a role.

:hat:

Indie House said:
I'm sure John Williams will do a great job with the new score. I love his compositions and am a huge fan of his work.

I marvel, however, at how every post is singing his praises without any degree of hesitation. Yet Spielberg, the father of the trilogy we know and love, is at times given less than the benefit of the doubt as to his abilities to direct an amazing fouth installment.

I wonder how many would still love the score if there was no Raiders March reprise. Perhaps everybody's confidence in Williams is really a reflection of their certainty that the original music will play a role.

:hat:

I wasn't gonna ruin the mood...

...but I really dislike Williams. Since you were looking for people who did... that's me. I'm the odd man out. He's a perfectly competent composer... who cranks out the same stuff time and again. I find him trite and devoid of creativity. His scores are like old pulp literature. Cheap and entertaining... but not very good.