best file sharing programme?

adventure_al

what is the best file sharing programme?

like limewire etc? and they are legal as long as I don't download anything which is copyright, correct?

Finn

Staff member
adventure_al said:
and they are legal as long as I don't download anything which is copyright, correct?
Depends on where you are, but mostly, yeah.

I find LimeWire rubbish mostly, too much fake files and such. Only good for mainstream music, but since that's copyrighted material it's really not something worth trying if you wish to be a "good boy".

eMule and its variants employ a lot of files and you're bound to find the thing you're looking for. However your accessibility to the files is mostly in conjuction to your own shares. I'm personally not comfortable with that.

Torrents are good for bigger stuff and my personal favorite, because you only share the thing you're downloading. The downside is accessibility by popularity. Also, apart from people who make indie films and like to mess around with alternate OS distros, I've still to hear about a torrent user who's not using the method for something questionable.

If you're simply looking to move a specific file from user to another and not looking for what other people boldy have put on display, a standard FTP client on both ends will do the job. Safe and discreet.

So that's pretty much it. I'm not going to go into further details esp. concerning the three first methods, since I'm a big fan of people finding out about stuff like this themselves. Simply because most of the time people will utilize their newly-found talents in a quest for quick entertainment in the grey area.

Gary2880

Sorry to ask a silly question. but what would you want to be downloading off those sites that isnt copyright?

Finn

Staff member
Gary2880 said:
Sorry to ask a silly question. but what would you want to be downloading off those sites that isnt copyright?
They're not "sites" but "networks", but other than that... damn good question.

adventure_al

i cant really find anything on bit torrent. i was just going to look for some freeware, thought i could maybe download some of the old sega games too save me gettin my megadrive set up when i want to play. i cant really find anything, no music vids (only obscure indie ones. although it probably wasnt that legit what i was looking for) old movies too usually become available for download as well but none of these are on bit torrent whats the deal with that? is it only certain sponsored stuff on bit torrent?

Finn

Staff member
You can find old console ROMs all around the web, you don't need any p2p software. Can't of course pinpoint you to any, but Google shoud suffice.

As far as music vids go... try YouTube.

95% of the stuff that's being shared in torrent websites is more or less legally dubious. The technology itself is safe (and legal). It won't leak any nasties into your system unless you deliberately download them.

adventure_al

thanks Finn(y)

I'll give it a good look on google then.

Youtube is good for the music vids but I was looking for somewhere I could actually download them. My girlfriend bought me one of those fancy mp4 players and I've not had the use out of it yet. However im sure I'll find something.

No Ticket

It's funny. Once upon a time I used to download music. These days I actually buy it and never download it for the most part... I might go to the band's myspace or to youtube to listen. Weird. I think I'm one of the last people to do this.

All that being said. Limewire does suck. Torrents kick ass.

indifan101

All that being said. Limewire does suck. Torrents kick ass.[/QUOTE]

I kinda disagree. I think limewire is better. For me anyways

No Ticket

indifan101 said:
All that being said. Limewire does suck. Torrents kick ass.

I kinda disagree. I think limewire is better. For me anyways[/QUOTE]

You can download entire albums with torrents... sometimes with the artwork included so you can print it out. Not that I'd do that, but I know you can do it.

And I've seen such things as collections of songs, in the form of hundreds of mp3s that you can download all at once. Such as a list of Rolling Stone's Top 100 songs of all time or something like that.

Limewire is probably better if you just want a single song... but as I said, I don't download songs really these days. I just buy the albums anyway.

Finn

Staff member
adventure_al said:
when i download something it seems to work on my pc but only the video seems to get transfered to mp4 player. no sound. any ideas why this could be?:confused:
The portable doesn't recognize the audio encoding.

Two things might help. Try saving the files as MPEGs (from the drop menu). Or, if you insist on saving as AVIs, go Options -> Preferences -> Default AVI codec -> mpeg4. Either way should get the audio to be saved in a method the player can decipher.