Haitian Voodoo/The Living Dead for Indy V?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
AndyLGR said:
Its puts me in mind of the Army of the Dead Indy novel, which I thought was terrible.

Indeed it was, but that's mostly because it was a boring slog through the same jungle for nearly the entire narrative. An Indy film wouldn't be that.

Z dweller

Duaner said:
I would be 100% opposed to the idea of voodoo/ living dead/ zombies. The whole zombie craze thing is getting really old and I would hate to see Indy venture down that path.
Completely agree.

Jonesy9906753 said:
this idea could surely be an improvement from KOTCS.
Very few ideas wouldn't.

Jonesy9906753

Raiders112390 said:
No 1970s. There's no reason to place it in the '70s.

I'm assuming you didn't get the joke? :p

Z dweller said:
Very few ideas wouldn't.
aliens.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Raiders90

Jonesy9906753 said:
Overall I think you are right,but hear me out here. I agree that if it steers too far in the direction of the hammy Blaxplotation/Bond structure, it wouldn't stand on it's own.But i'd say that if the concept of black magic in that region can be explored from a serious angle, the story has potential. The more you involve Indy with a mythology he doesn't fully understand, the more it adds interest and suspense to how he gets from A-Z in the story.

The only way I can see it working is if Indy went full on pulp horror (even moreso than TOD) and worked it into the story in a way that hasn't been done before in film. Even then, I can see such a film having a very polarizing reaction, much like the last one. Even though it is an interesting idea. I also echo the concerns expressed above that it could be too close to Temple of Doom.

I believe that Indy has to literally meet God in some way in the next film. He's discovered the Ark of the Covenant, the Grail, Sankara Stones, and seen that we're not alone in the universe. This is Indy's last ride, and definitely Harrison's last. I remember years ago, before KOTCS, people talked about having the Garden of Eden or other such Genesis related stories be the forefront - I think we need to go in that direction. One of my modern day pulp heroes (Gotrek from the Warhammer Fantasy universe) finally meets his destiny in the last novel - he doesn't die, as he always hoped he would. His fate instead is to become a God; to battle the forces of evil and keep them at bay for eternity. Some sort of amazing leap like that - if done right - not making Indy a God, but having him finally meet 'God' in some way without killing him (but also making it such that Harrion's Indy can't go on further adventure) could be a wonderful send-off. Would tie it back to the idea of using the Ark to talk to God that Belloq suggested in Raiders, and the implication in LC that Indy is a neo-Knight, chosen by God.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
That sounds just like the ending for Madoka Magica (a magic girl anime I'm rather fond of and it's an ending that's been used in a couple of other mangas too).

I'm willing to bet on the Garden. I'm also curious as to whether they'll look to other pieces that haven't been used.

Back on topic, Haitian Voodoo was used for the Indy novel- Army of the Dead. Sad to say wasted potential there. I think having a magical element similar to that and the stuff in ToD would be a great step in the right direction as it would be away from aliens and technology.

Raiders90

Violet said:
That sounds just like the ending for Madoka Magica (a magic girl anime I'm rather fond of and it's an ending that's been used in a couple of other mangas too).

I'm willing to bet on the Garden. I'm also curious as to whether they'll look to other pieces that haven't been used.

Back on topic, Haitian Voodoo was used for the Indy novel- Army of the Dead. Sad to say wasted potential there. I think having a magical element similar to that and the stuff in ToD would be a great step in the right direction as it would be away from aliens and technology.

Re: The Garden - maybe have the ending work in some way that Indy - who maybe has lost Marion and Mutt in some tragic way and has nothing left - decides to remain in the Garden of Eden. Some sort of afterlife statement. He'll always be alive, but he can't leave. Remember the moment where the Grail Temple was collapsing and Henry seemed tempted to remain behind? Play on that somehow, but with Indy.