Was the Indiana Jones toyline made for kids or fans?

Nurhachi1991

Yeah and if you think about it these Nazis are from 1936 pre WW2 so they were still bad but not like after 1938 when Kristallnacht occured. I'm not trying to defend them in anyway shape or form Nazis are all scum but hearing one yell Schizer after Indy throws one out of a truck just makes you feel all warm inside.

Kooshmeister

I think it's half and half. The Crystal Skull figures like Mutt, Irena and Dovchenko would be mostly for kids seeing the new movie; the characters from Raiders, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade meanwhile are targetted more at collectors in my opinion.

I think because, the Crystal Skull characters are from the new movie. After kids see the movie, if they like it, then they're going to want to buy the characters they just saw. The characters from the older films will most likely be trivial to them.

Longtime fans of the older films, meanwhile (I speak mostly for myself) will likely be interested in the characters from Raiders, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade, and want to buy them before they buy Crystal Skull characters.

Therefore in my opinion it's a toyline that's going out of its way to appeal to both kids and longtime adult fans alike, offering the same quality toys to both groups, and from what I saw of them at Wal-Mart today they're off to a great start. Sure, kids aren't interested in them now, but after Crystal Skull comes out, dollars to donuts says they'll be snapping up the characters from that film in droves. I could be wrong about this, but, eh, the kid in me wants to believe that every kid likes the idea of owning plastic versions of characters they just saw in a movie they liked, and that kids will want to re-enact an Indy/Dovchenko fight the same way we, as kids, re-enated the Indy/Mechanic fight way back when....or wanted to, if you were like me and never got the toys; born as I was in 1983, I missed the release of the vintage toyline, but grew up with the Indy films nevertheless, and I've spent my whole life wanting toys of them so I could redo this scene or that scene. :)

It's all dependent, of course, on whether enough parents actually take their kids to see Crystal Skull, and whether the kids actually wind up liking it. So here's hoping the movie is the hit we all want it to be, otherwise these toys (and the ones planned but yet to be released, like Henry Jones and Vogel for instance) will be all we grown-up fans will ever see for a long time.

Last edited:

blueseattle

Kooshmeister said:
I think it's half and half. The Crystal Skull figures like Mutt, Irena and Dovchenko would be mostly for kids seeing the new movie; the characters from Raiders, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade meanwhile are targetted more at collectors in my opinion.

I think because, the Crystal Skull characters are from the new movie. After kids see the movie, if they like it, then they're going to want to buy the characters they just saw. The characters from the older films will most likely be trivial to them.

Longtime fans of the older films, meanwhile (I speak mostly for myself) will likely be interested in the characters from Raiders, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade, and want to buy them before they buy Crystal Skull characters.

Therefore in my opinion it's a toyline that's going out of its way to appeal to both kids and longtime adult fans alike, offering the same quality toys to both groups, and from what I saw of them at Wal-Mart today they're off to a great start. Sure, kids aren't interested in them now, but after Crystal Skull comes out, dollars to donuts says they'll be snapping up the characters from that film in droves. I could be wrong about this, but, eh, the kid in me wants to believe that every kid likes the idea of owning plastic versions of characters they just saw in a movie they liked, and that kids will want to re-enact an Indy/Dovchenko fight the same way we, as kids, re-enated the Indy/Mechanic fight way back when....or wanted to, if you were like me and never got the toys; born as I was in 1983, I missed the release of the vintage toyline, but grew up with the Indy films nevertheless, and I've spent my whole life wanting toys of them so I could redo this scene or that scene. :)

It's all dependent, of course, on whether enough parents actually take their kids to see Crystal Skull, and whether the kids actually wind up liking it. So here's hoping the movie is the hit we all want it to be, otherwise these toys (and the ones planned but yet to be released, like Henry Jones and Vogel for instance) will be all we grown-up fans will ever see for a long time.

Same story here. I even had dreams of getting new Indy figures. I liked Star Wars, but I was always an Indiana Jones fanatic. I even double majored for a History degree to be Dr. Jones one day if I wanted to.

Having these figures is a dream come true.

Now, if they would just make Back to the Future figures.

Crayfish

blueseattle said:
Now, if they would just make Back to the Future figures.

Done.

Pick up the minimates. I have and they are AWESOME!!!!

Sure..not 3 3/4"...but they will do for right now.

Kooshmeister

In regards to the Back to the Future MiniMates, I'm holding out for the other three bullies (Match, 3-D and Skinhead). Biff needs his buddies!

Crayfish

Kooshmeister said:
In regards to the Back to the Future MiniMates, I'm holding out for the other three bullies (Match, 3-D and Skinhead). Biff needs his buddies!

I wouldn't hold out since they won't be made. The series 3 four figure set and exclusive end the BTTF minimates. Sorry.

I wish they would expand the line but DST wants to move onto other movies including Clint Eastwood's westrens (ironically featured in the BTTF movies), Platoon, Silence of the Lambs, and Desperatley Seeking Susan.

Back on topic....I think they made this line for the kids who have been exposed to Indiana Jones because of their parents...much like I did for my boys. I do hope the obscure characters get made...but I have a feeling it will stick with bigger mainstream figures. I...for one..think we will only get two waves per movie.

Wugmanmax

I have 3 kids, two of them boys and they are 4 and 5 1/2. I have showed them *most* (we skip the gruesome parts) of the three Indy movies and they absolutely LOVE them. When they found out figures were coming out they freaked out. They want them all. They want the Swordsman, the German soldiers, Sallah, everything. I don't have the money to buy them all, but we'll at least end up with a few. :D I want an Indy for my desk at work, but so far we have had a hard time finding the deluxe Indies we want. I want the temple trap and my oldest son wants the Indy w/horse. We have seen everything else but those ones. I have also noticed that the figures are selling out at several stores. There are not enough strictly "collector-types" around to account for that. Kids and just general Indy fans must be buying them too.

Kooshmeister

Crayfish said:
I wouldn't hold out since they won't be made. The series 3 four figure set and exclusive end the BTTF minimates. Sorry.

Nutmuffins. Why do I always like second-tier characters that stand little to no chance of becoming toys? :(