Indy = Han Solo

Raiders90

It seems to me that in Temple and LC, Indy becomes less like "Indy" and more like Han Solo. Like a sort of edge or darkness is forever lost from his character; he becomes more ''goonish''--like Han Solo.

Finn

Staff member
But... what is Han Solo? The greedy mercenary seen in ANH or the goody-two-shoes freedom fighter as shown by ROTJ?

LostArk

Nah, I think he was always the same person and never acted out of character, counting Kingdom in it too, of course.

TheMutt92

The Man said:
The Han Solo we see in Episode V owns Indiana Jones.

Er, discuss...

The Man has a point here.

It could actually be argued that the Han Solo seen in ANH is similar to the Indy we see in ROTLA (charismatic, not a care in the world), as well as the Han seen in ROTJ is similar to the Indy in LC and to an extent KOTCS (slightly more relaxed, more joking). While the Indy in TOD and ESB share no similarities what so ever.

But back on The Man's point, the Han in ESB is perhaps the most characteristic version of the character. Here Han winds up fully devoting himself to the rebel cause, and in the end sacrifices himself for it and the love of his love. I think the argument in Han's favor as a better character has more to do w/ the fact that SW is more connected in its installments than Indiana Jones, which is episodic.

I don't know if this post makes any real sense, just blabbering off random thoughts as they come to me... :p

Lance Quazar

ANH Han = TOD Indy

"I'm in it for the money." = "Fortune and glory."

ESB Han = ROTLA Indy

"I know." = "Trust me."

ROTJ Han = LC Indy

"That bad, huh?" = "Happens to me all the time."

Bonus points. Fill in the following -

KOTCS Indy = _________

"Sinking your teeth into those wubble u's." = "Mesa okey day!"

Indy4fan

I made/discovered this long ago
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9gERrH0wNZ0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9gERrH0wNZ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Darth Vile

TheMan said:
The Han Solo we see in Episode V owns Indiana Jones.

As much as I think Han Solo is great (and as much as my preference is for Star Wars over Indiana Jones), I'd have to say that Indiana Jones is a more iconic character and has more potential for character development.

TheMutt92 said:
The Man has a point here.
It could actually be argued that the Han Solo seen in ANH is similar to the Indy we see in ROTLA (charismatic, not a care in the world), as well as the Han seen in ROTJ is similar to the Indy in LC and to an extent KOTCS (slightly more relaxed, more joking). While the Indy in TOD and ESB share no similarities what so ever.

But back on The Man's point, the Han in ESB is perhaps the most characteristic version of the character. Here Han winds up fully devoting himself to the rebel cause, and in the end sacrifices himself for it and the love of his love. I think the argument in Han's favor as a better character has more to do w/ the fact that SW is more connected in its installments than Indiana Jones, which is episodic.

I don't know if this post makes any real sense, just blabbering off random thoughts as they come to me... :p

You are not blabbering, you make perfect sense. Although IMHO, ANH Han Solo is the definitive version (as he goes a bit too girly for my liking in TESB).