What books would Indy have on his shelves?

Dr.Tyree

I was thinking this would be a great hypothetical compilation for the Raveners...

-- We saw glimpses of Dr. Jones' bookshelves and classroom, but what titles would be in his library?

They'd have to have been available in the time period of the films, and exist in our reality, too.

Why? Because this little exercise would be a fun way for us to generate a virtual list, and maybe even read up on what Indy would read "In Universe"... (y)

So...here are some possibilities for the bookshelves of Dr. Henry Jones Jr.:

1) A Cyclopaedia of Universal History, by John Clark Ridpath (1880-4)
2) Travels in the Interior Districts of Africa, by Mungo Park (1799)
3) Journals, by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark (1814)
4) West With the Night, by Beryl Markham (it would have been new during the war, in 1942)
5) Travels, by Marco Polo (1298)
6) Roughing It, by Mark Twain (1872)?
7) Journey Without Maps, by Graham Greene (1936)
8) Brazilian Adventure, by Peter Fleming (1933)
9) Gród Prasłowiański w Biskupine w Powiecie Znińskim, by Józef Kostrzewski (1938).
10) ...of course, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, by his old friend - T.E. Lawrence (1926)

...that's just a start...archaeology texts, maps, journals, etc... to come...?

Let's see what we should add!

The Drifter

I know that Indy would be an academic and have tons of leather-bound tomes on many subjects, but I could also see him enjoying pulp.
I would bet that he has many copies of Weird Tales Magazine and enjoyed Robert E. Howard and HP Lovecraft's tales therein.
He would most likely read Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs also.

Maybe he also has a few copies of Oriental Tales Magzine laying on his coffee table, and he gets a good laugh from the stories. Why? Because he lived to see many strange things there and could write a book of his <b>true</b> tales!

Stoo

Dr.Tyree said:
10) ...of course, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, by his old friend - T.E. Lawrence (1926)
Without a doubt!(y) I have my grandfather's 1936 edition w/dustjacket and have never read it entirely (it's BIG) but cherish it all the same.

Some more to add would be:
"Lost City of the Incas", by Hiram Bingham, 1948
"Danger, My Ally", F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, 1954
"Kon-Tiki", by Thor Heyerdahl, 1950
"Aku-Aku, the Secret of Easter Island", by Thor Heyerdahl, 1958
"The Money Pit: The Story of Oak Island and the World's Greatest Treasure Hunt", by D'arcy O'Connor, 1978 (Yes, Indy lives that long!:p)

I could also picture Indy plunking down and reading some Sherlock Holmes tales.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
but I could also see him enjoying pulp.
I would bet that he has many copies of Weird Tales Magazine and enjoyed Robert E. Howard and HP Lovecraft's tales therein.
He would most likely read Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs also.
You are more right than you may realize.:) Two books we know that he has read for sure are:

"Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout", by Victor Appleton (Edward Stratemeyer), 1910. In the "Princeton, 1916" episode of Young Indy, the viewer is actually IN Indy's head as he reads from the pages. Cool sequence!

"From the Earth to the Moon", by Jules Verne, 1865. Indy says he loves this book in "Winds of Change".

Also, here's a (sort of) related thread:
What Movies Do You Think Indy Would See in the 50s?

The Drifter

Stoo said:
You are more right than you may realize.:) Two books we know that he has read for sure are:

"Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout", by Victor Appleton (Edward Stratemeyer), 1910. In the "Princeton, 1916" episode of Young Indy, the viewer is actually IN Indy's head as he reads from the pages. Cool sequence!

"From the Earth to the Moon", by Jules Verne, 1865. Indy says he loves this book in "Winds of Change".

Also, here's a (sort of) related thread:
What Movies Do You Think Indy Would See in the 50s?

Thanks for the information Stoo!
I never knew that Indy has read those books. I wish I could have afforded the Young Indy dvds. There is so much Indy lore that I fear I shall never see.

jamesdude

imagine Henry Jones Sr. giving Indy this book as a practical joke:

9780470337325.jpg

Indy: "What the hell are you trying to say DAD!"

Morning Bell

Given his lifestyle, I would think something like King Solomon's Mines would be a good fit, as well as many other classics.

In Peril At Delphi it mentions him reading Ulysses by James Joyce.

Junior Jones

Stoo said:
I could also picture Indy plunking down and reading some Sherlock Holmes tales.

Young Indy was a big fan of Sherlock Holmes. At least he claimed to be when he met Sir Arthur Conan Doyle a few days before boarding the Titanic.

Insomniac

BOOK: Tibetan book of the Dead
By: Unknown

BOOK: The Open Mind ; the Oppenheimer lectures
By: J. Robert Oppenheimer
WHY?: Shows Oppenheimer's viewpoints about atomic weapons and their related fields and insight into Oppenheimer himself.
(Kingdom of the Crystal skull)

BOOK: Lost Horizon
By: James Hilton
Why: Reminds him of his adventures and how folklore can be reinvented into a good read. (Ending is like Last Crusade ending)

indyrocks1936

probably Jules Vern too...

he would probably have Jules Vern's Journey to the Center of the Earth!:whip: I'm reading it right now! it's pretty good!

Indy's Fist

Chariots of the Gods by Eric Von Daniken. Indy contacts Von Daniken to let him know that the aliens may be interdimentional. He also sets up an introduction with Harold Oxley!:D

Goonie

Well since me met Howard Carter, I think he would have
"The Tomb of Tutankhamen" by Howard Carter on his shelf.
(it's on my bookshelf)

And maybe in 1957 prior to meeting up again with Marion, he had a few issues of Playboy on his shelf, or under his bed...;)(y)

Truman Michelson

Truman Michelson was an ethnologist with the Bureau of American Ethnology from 1910 to 1938. His specialty was Algonquian linguistics and culture.

Michelson, Truman. 1921. "The Owl sacred pack of the Fox Indians." Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin 72. Washington: Smithsonian Institution.
Michelson, Truman. 1925. "Accompanying papers." Bureau of American Ethnology Annual Report 40: 21-658. Washington: Smithsonian Institution.

Jones, William. 1917. Ojibwa texts. Volume 1. Ed. Truman Michelson. Leiden: American Ethnological Society Publications 7.1 (Vol. 1
Jones, William. 1919. Ojibwa texts. Volume 2. Ed. Truman Michelson. New York: G. Stechert.
(y)

Goonie

Dr.Tyree said:

Picked up this one today and added it to my library, the 1938 edition for $10. (y)

Goodeknight

XanaduMel said:
i always thought that he would own "war and peace" by Leo Tolstoy, im reading it now actually, its really good(y)

Didn't Tolstoy give young Indy a family bible or something? Not a huge fan of young Indy, so I haven't seen them more than once or twice. So he may have read Tolstoy's Bible.

Also:
Sir Alan Gardiner's Egyptian Grammar - first published in 1927 and still a primary text
Gardiner's Egypt of the Pharaohs
Geovani Batista Belzoni's Narrative of the Operations and Recent Discoveries Within the Pyramids, Temples, Tombs and Excavations in Egypt and Nubia, (1820) --- Fantastic adventure story from an early antiquarian --- I read an original copy in the rare books library at the American University in Cairo. It was reissued a few years ago and can be found cheap on Amazon. I highly recommend it. http://www.amazon.com/Travels-Egypt-Nubia-Great-Adventures/dp/8854402133/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277914721&sr=1-1