Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #551
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
You misread that. Koepp is the one saying that he dumped all his ideas on Spielberg.

Or better yet:

Quote:
INT: Noir lit upshot office. One Man, shrouded in cigarette smoke is taking into a corded phone. His voice is rasped, panicked. Desperate.

Koepp
I know you’re mixing and prepping and doing interviews,
do you have the head space for this? You may be trying to
do air traffic control in your head right now.

Spielberg
Let me worry about the air traffic control, you circle and chatter.

Keopp
OK, here you go.

Keopp spends the next three days dumping Indy V into the vast brain that is Steven Spielberg.

Keopp
There’s a remarkable amount of head space.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #552
IndyForever
IndyFan

That's even worse then SS is dumping a shopping list just like KOTCS & asking Koepp to join those together into a filmable story. Its so obvious they have no overall real direction just a desire to make one more movie with Harrison & better than KOTCS.

I hope it does justice to the character and is closer in tone to TLC than any of the other movies.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #553
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyForever
That's even worse then SS is dumping a shopping list just like KOTCS & asking Koepp to join those together into a filmable story. Its so obvious they have no overall real direction just a desire to make one more movie with Harrison & better than KOTCS.

I hope it does justice to the character and is closer in tone to TLC than any of the other movies.

I don't know if I want them to aim for the TLC tone, since that's exactly what they aimed for with KOTCS. I'd rather they either aim for Raiders' tone (less goofy comedy than TLC or KOTCS), or perhaps even better, just go for an all-new tone, like they did when they made TOD. Considering how much older Harrison is now, aiming for something new might make the most sense, rather than trying to re-capture something he was doing 30 years ago.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #554
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
I don't know if I want them to aim for the TLC tone, since that's exactly what they aimed for with KOTCS. I'd rather they either aim for Raiders' tone (less goofy comedy than TLC or KOTCS), or perhaps even better, just go for an all-new tone, like they did when they made TOD. Considering how much older Harrison is now, aiming for something new might make the most sense, rather than trying to re-capture something he was doing 30 years ago.

100% agree.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #555
Silvor
IndyFan

I find it interesting when I see people prefer the darker style from Raiders compared to the lighter vibe from the later films. I assume it's because that's the first one they saw?

Personally my first Indy was either Temple or Crusade (I actually can't remember) so to me Indy is supposed to be a bit lighter than he was in Raiders, which to me made him a bit too dark and brooding at times.
It actually felt a little out of character to me when I saw Raiders for the first time (I actually watched it last).

I remember that the original plan was for Indy to be more hard and gruff but they seemed to soften him up a bit from that even in Raiders, and by now the lighter more comedic Indy has 3 movies, so in a way he's more established as that than the darker moody Raiders version.

It's going to be very interesting to see which way they go with Indy 5.
I actually wouldn't mind if they went with a more serious tone for Fords last one.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #556
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvor
I find it interesting when I see people prefer the darker style from Raiders compared to the lighter vibe from the later films. I assume it's because that's the first one they saw?

Personally my first Indy was either Temple or Crusade (I actually can't remember) so to me Indy is supposed to be a bit lighter than he was in Raiders, which to me made him a bit too dark and brooding at times.
It actually felt a little out of character to me when I saw Raiders for the first time (I actually watched it last).

I remember that the original plan was for Indy to be more hard and gruff but they seemed to soften him up a bit from that even in Raiders, and by now the lighter more comedic Indy has 3 movies, so in a way he's more established as that than the darker moody Raiders version.

It's going to be very interesting to see which way they go with Indy 5.
I actually wouldn't mind if they went with a more serious tone for Fords last one.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want an Indy movie without any humor. It's just that I felt TLC and KOTCS got a bit goofy at times, with Indy falling down stairs, tripping over bicycles, saying "wubble yous" etc. The character we saw in Raiders and TOD had some funny moments, but the style of humor was different, and it was one I slightly preferred. Maybe, as you said, it's because I saw Raiders and TOD first, so to me, the more slapstick version of Indy felt out of character.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #557
Moedred
Administrator

http://collider.com/frank-marshall-j...ones-interview
Frank Marshall:

Quote:
Q: I definitely want to jump on another subject really quickly, at the Star Wars Celebration over the weekend they were talking a little bit about how Disney is talking about an Indiana Jones movie universe. Did you see those quotes?

MARSHALL: I have not seen those quotes.

Q: I guess someone at Lucasfilm was talking about how it could be like an Indy movie universe, so there could be movies that exist in that world of Indiana Jones, and I was gonna ask you if you could sort of clarify that or is this coming out of left field to you?

MARSHALL: Itís coming out of left field. It makes sense that they want to, now that they have the universe, that they want to turn it into something like they have with Star Wars. So itís not surprising but they havenít had any discussions with me, so I donít know.

Q: Anything Harrison Ford is involved with Iím all in, and the fact that you guys are talking about doing another Indiana Jones excites me. What can you tell people about where youíre at in that development process?

MARSHALL: Iím excited too, itís my favorite franchise that Iíve worked on and certainly did a lot of landmark things for me on Raiders. Weíre still way early in the process, weíve hired a writer, David Koepp, and Steven [Spielberg] is out filming another movie now and the rest of us are on our current projects. So itís in a very, very infant, beginning stages so thereís really not much to report.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #558
Raiders112390
IndyFan

I have a question:
Why did they announce Indy 5 so soon? As I recall, we had tons of rumors, but no official confirmation of KOTCS being in production until January 2007 - only a year and a half before it came out. I am like 99% certain I remember there being the official announcement around early-mid January of that year, and before that, we only had whispers, rumors and speculation. And cameras had only just started rolling, or were about to, when we got the news.

So the question is, why, when we're not even really in pre-production even, we're in the early concept phase - they don't even have a firm script yet, just a ton of ideas - Why announce it when it's three years away from release, and two years away from even being filmed? Why put a firm release date down when there probably isn't even a first draft script or even a story synopsis written?

I don't mean to sound morbid, but a lot can happen between today and the film's shooting year, 2018. This year, and last, have been pretty brutal in terms of celebrity deaths, and Harrison isn't getting any younger. Again, I'm not trying to be morbid, just realistic.|

Also, why push it so far down the road? Is 2018 really the earliest Spielberg and Harrison will be available to shoot this thing? As I see it, Steven began shooting one film this year, and will probably wrap production early next year. He has his long awaited other project which he'll film next year - but shouldn't Indy 5 take precedence in the lineup, given the ages of everyone involved and the fact that it's more important financially? If so, we'd have Indy 5 a year earlier at least. It'd be a two year wait rather than three.

Last edited by Raiders112390 : 08-07-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #559
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I have a question:
Why did they announce Indy 5 so soon? As I recall, we had tons of rumors, but no official confirmation of KOTCS being in production until January 2007 - only a year and a half before it came out. I am like 99% certain I remember there being the official announcement around early-mid January of that year, and before that, we only had whispers, rumors and speculation. And cameras had only just started rolling, or were about to, when we got the news.

So the question is, why, when we're not even really in pre-production even, we're in the early concept phase - they don't even have a firm script yet, just a ton of ideas - Why announce it when it's three years away from release, and two years away from even being filmed? Why put a firm release date down when there probably isn't even a first draft script or even a story synopsis written?

I don't mean to sound morbid, but a lot can happen between today and the film's shooting year, 2018. This year, and last, have been pretty brutal in terms of celebrity deaths, and Harrison isn't getting any younger. Again, I'm not trying to be morbid, just realistic.|

Also, why push it so far down the road? Is 2018 really the earliest Spielberg and Harrison will be available to shoot this thing? As I see it, Steven began shooting one film this year, and will probably wrap production early next year. He has his long awaited other project which he'll film next year - but shouldn't Indy 5 take precedence in the lineup, given the ages of everyone involved and the fact that it's more important financially? If so, we'd have Indy 5 a year earlier at least. It'd be a two year wait rather than three.

Couldn't agree more.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #560
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sartorius
Couldn't agree more.
The mod staff couldn't agree more.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:55 AM   #561
Finn

KotCS was announced on Dec 30th 2006. So yeah, that was a less than a year and a half since the film hit the screens.

This one was announced three full years beforehand. That's pretty damn peculiar indeed.

As for Mr. Ford's age... perhaps we could just apply Occam's razor? The reason they don't act like this thing is age-critical because it is not age-critical. The role they've planned for him does not hinge on him being in as good a shape as possible.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #562
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
That's an excellent point, Finn. Maybe it isn't all that critical- I think it may be more puzzle based (sounds like I'm talking about a video game!) or maybe in the vein of modern Doctor Who action not as full on physical but still has action however a stronger mystery and intrigue based focus.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:30 AM   #563
Finn

Or he's not meant to feature the entire time.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:34 AM   #564
Attila the Professor

Perhaps it's an industry change? I don't recall seeing these years-in-advance release calendars, to this extent, in years past.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:10 AM   #565
Silvor
IndyFan

That Frank Marshall quote almost makes it sound like Disney is just leaving Indy 5 to Frank and Spielberg to do with as they see fit and then concentrating on the future of the franchise in the, well future :P (I know there are lots and lots of arguments about why this is unlikely, just one way to read it).

Personally I think the not being concerned about Ford's age thing is just that Ford is as old as he is and they write the movie for him, so of course the age won't be a problem. They (Frank and Spielberg) know Ford and probably have a good idea of what they can get away with him doing.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:46 AM   #566
Mungi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvor
Personally I think the not being concerned about Ford's age thing is just that Ford is as old as he is and they write the movie for him, so of course the age won't be a problem. They (Frank and Spielberg) know Ford and probably have a good idea of what they can get away with him doing.

Exactly. May I quote this:
Quote:
Spielberg: "As Harrison matures so does his character and yet he did so many of his own stunts in ĎThe Force Awakens."

"He keeps himself in such brilliant physical shape that I donít believe when 2018 comes around, which is when Iím slated to direct the fifth installment coming out in 2019, I think Harrison is going to be able do a lot of what the script is asking him to do."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2683824

By the way: If you compare Last Crusade and Crystal Skull, Ford was more physical active in the LATTER. He didn't have to jump and run in Indy 3, since he did a lot of action on a boat, on a motorcycle and on a horse. Even if he would do only as much as back then in Indy 5, I think we would be more than happy.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #567
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Or he's not meant to feature the entire time.
That is my hope.

In a previous post in this thread I submitted that Disney might actually have been better off waiting much longer to announced Indy 5.
However, if their plan is to introduce a younger actor shown in flashback scenes, then it would explain the logic behind an early announcement.

Keep old fans happy by letting them know right from the start that Ford will be part of it, while giving themselves plenty of time to find the right guy to introduce in Indy 5, then star in future prequels.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #568
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
That is my hope.

In a previous post in this thread I submitted that Disney might actually have been better off waiting much longer to announced Indy 5.
However, if their plan is to introduce a younger actor shown in flashback scenes, then it would explain the logic behind an early announcement.

Keep old fans happy by letting them know right from the start that Ford will be part of it, while giving themselves plenty of time to find the right guy to introduce in Indy 5, then star in future prequels.

That approach makes the most sense, really.
And if they have Harrison Ford and the younger actor together at the next couple of Comic-cons, it would definitely help audiences get used to the idea.
I know some people consider it practically blasphemous to suggest Harrison is getting too old, but Disney needs to think long-term about this, and sadly, nothing about Harrison Ford can really be considered "long-term" any more. Bringing in a new actor while Harrison is still there to endorse him will, I think, work better than bringing in a new guy after Harrison is gone. So Indy 5 is the time to do it.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #569
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
That approach makes the most sense, really.
And if they have Harrison Ford and the younger actor together at the next couple of Comic-cons, it would definitely help audiences get used to the idea.

With Harrison's age, though. They could have waited a 1/2 decade and the problem would solve itself.

(yes, that's a bit of sarcasm, deal with it)

Where's Wooderson when we need him.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #570
Johnny Nys
IndyFan

But is it really so weird in the world of today to have a release date tapered on it so far in advance? Disney has been doing that for a while now, announcing release dates of all their movies for the next 4 years. They did in October, they did it again in April, ... So isn't Indy just one of many? They have 4 other movies slated for 2019 so far.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #571
Pale Horse

Very true, Johnny. Very true. And I like your approach.

That said, does anyone know of a modern (tentpole) movie these days that isn't foreshadowed by a release date.

I can't think of one that didn't at least get a years notice.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #572
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Nys
But is it really so weird in the world of today to have a release date tapered on it so far in advance? Disney has been doing that for a while now, announcing release dates of all their movies for the next 4 years. They did in October, they did it again in April, ... So isn't Indy just one of many? They have 4 other movies slated for 2019 so far.

I think the more confusing thing is why isn't this movie the priority for Spielberg. This movie is supposedly for the fans so you'd think he'd make it before that new Mark Rylance movie.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #573
Moedred
Administrator

Will J.J. Abrams ever direct one?
Quote:
I don't think so. First of all, they certainly don't need me. Secondly, I really do feel like, as someone who has been a very lucky recipient of other people's original ideas, and getting to sort of help shepherd them and be part of it, I'm looking forward to helping be a part of creating some stories that maybe one day someone can talk about rebooting. But it's been, with Mission: Impossible and Star Trek and Star Wars, and, frankly, now with Westworld too, which is a totally different thing, I do feel like it would be nice to work on something that doesn't necessarily pre-exist.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:42 AM   #574
Mungi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sartorius
I think the more confusing thing is why isn't this movie the priority for Spielberg. This movie is supposedly for the fans so you'd think he'd make it before that new Mark Rylance movie.

Why shouldn't he make a small movie between two big ones? He has so often been doing different projects at once and the script for Indy 5 won't be finished when he's shooting "Edgardo Mortara". The script will have to be done until the end of 2017 to start pre-production. I can't see how they could do that earlier, so it doesn't make a difference whether he's doing something else in the meantime or not.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:05 AM   #575
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Very true, Johnny. Very true. And I like your approach.

That said, does anyone know of a modern (tentpole) movie these days that isn't foreshadowed by a release date.

I can't think of one that didn't at least get a years notice.

James Bond 25. It's supposed to come out in 2018 yet no release date has been claimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Will J.J. Abrams ever direct one?

J. J. Abrams should stay as far as possible from Indiana Jones. I don't want to see a full-of-homages remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Closed Thread