TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #726
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Yeah, I don't really buy into the "soft reboot" idea. Some things are just binary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I also hope they don't kill Indy off at the end.
Spielberg has said point-blank that he would not. Then again, I recall Harrison Ford stating point-blank that Indy wouldn't have a child in Indy 4 (I think this was in the 2002-2003 arena). I also recall Spielberg saying point-blank that he and Janusz Kaminski would "swallow their pride" and honor Doug Slocombe's lighting style in the fourth movie. They certainly keep us guessing!
Old 12-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #727
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Yeah, I don't really buy into the "soft reboot" idea. Some things are just binary.

What you "buy" and what is, are two different things.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #728
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

We're not talking about the Pythagorean theorem here. We're talking about arbitrary, internet-coined subset categories for slotting movie sequels in. It's no cause for peevishness.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #729
Face_Palm
IndyFan

That doesn't change the fact that the Force Awakens is a reboot.

Any future Indy sequels can also be reboots without throwing continuity down the drain.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #730
Pale Horse

Reboot, Soft-Boot, Remake, Copy, Xerox, ect

It's all the same. There's only so many ways to tell a story.

King Solomon knew that when he wrote there's nothing new under the sun. He did that before Christ was even born.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #731
Attila the Professor

I don't get why they'd call The Force Awakens (which I liked) or Jurassic World (which seemed fine) soft reboots when they could use terms everyone understands to call them what they are: remakes disguised as sequels.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #732
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Too many differences to be a remake. Finn is a character whose story arc is non existent in the original trilogy for example.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #733
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Let's not forget the Hollywood Reporter's quirky neologism in an interview with Iger before the announcement: it's going to be a... requel.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #734
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Too many differences to be a remake. Finn is a character whose story arc is non existent in the original trilogy for example.

I have thoughts on this, but I'll take them to the thread we have for that movie.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #735
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:

Spielberg has said point-blank that he would not. Then again, I recall Harrison Ford stating point-blank that Indy wouldn't have a child in Indy 4 (I think this was in the 2002-2003 arena). I also recall Spielberg saying point-blank that he and Janusz Kaminski would "swallow their pride" and honor Doug Slocombe's lighting style in the fourth movie. They certainly keep us guessing!

Indy would've been better off without a child to be honest. I've always liked the Saucerman version of the script. Some marriage of that, with the City of Gods script, would've made for an epic movie. Both involve no son. I would also have preferred Marion not to come back. Not because I dislike her; I just think Indy should have a different girl every movie.

Speaking of Marion, am I alone in wanting to see Indy V take a dark turn? Recall one of his influences, Bond, and Vesper. It would be interesting if the subplot of the movie was revenge (whereas the subplots of LC and KOTC are rescue). Revenge for Marion's death. He and Marion are in the process of finding an important artifact together in the beginning, and this man intercepts them, in a fashion similar to Belloq (always one step ahead), and in the ensuing battle for the artifact Marion gets shot. Indy is able to get out of there alive, and chases this guy of his own accord across the world. In the end, he kills the guy, and gets the artifact, looks at it, and for the first time, tosses it away to history. We see him at the end come home and hang up his hat. Something like that. The hung up hat could be the final shot of the film - something more definitive for Harrison's Indy than the ending of LC (where he could perhaps have many more adventures, off in the wide blue yonder) and KOTCS (Which allows for more adventures since he explicitly takes his hat from Mutt).
Old 12-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #736
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

I think killing off Marion would be tacky, and I doubt Spielberg would sign off on it in any event.

Mutt, on the other hand...
Old 12-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #737
Attila the Professor

Quote:
I think killing off Marion would be tacky, and I doubt Spielberg would sign off on it in any event.

Mutt, on the other hand...

I defer to the YIJC experts to say whether Mutt marrying a woman who Indy and Marion treat as a daughter, Mutt then dying, and the daughter-in-law then remarrying can account for the canon established in the George Hall segments.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #738
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

There's no telling whom else Indy knocked up in the twenty years he and Marion were apart.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:33 AM   #739
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

Wouldn't be happy with the fridging of Marion. That's pretty lazy screenwriting, right there.

But then again, Indy was already fridged last time around...sort of.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #740
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I don't want to see them kill Marion or Mutt off. I think there are sufficient ways to set them aside and have Indy be the main focus.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #741
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Agreed, they only need to be sidelined. Killing them off feels cheap.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #742
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I defer to the YIJC experts to say whether Mutt marrying a woman who Indy and Marion treat as a daughter, Mutt then dying, and the daughter-in-law then remarrying can account for the canon established in the George Hall segments.

I think that's unfortunately stretching credibility. To be honest, based on her looks/voice etc, I always thought Indy's daughter in the YIJC was a child he might've had Willie. She just looks and sounds like her. Nothing like Marion. But then, in the early 1990s, Indy was supposed to marry another woman, not Marion. I'd love if the George Hall segments were put back into the YIJC, and honestly if they were re-released as a typical show with the original episodes in their proper order...But I think sadly Lucas either destroyed the negatives of George Hall, or made his alterations to the YIJC to the original negatives, basically overwriting Hall out of the negative itself (the way he is said to have recut the original 1977 SW negative with his new additions on it, making any future "untouched" release impossible).
Old 12-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #743
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
I think that's unfortunately stretching credibility. To be honest, based on her looks/voice etc, I always thought Indy's daughter in the YIJC was a child he might've had Willie. She just looks and sounds like her. Nothing like Marion. But then, in the early 1990s, Indy was supposed to marry another woman, not Marion. I'd love if the George Hall segments were put back into the YIJC, and honestly if they were re-released as a typical show with the original episodes in their proper order...But I think sadly Lucas either destroyed the negatives of George Hall, or made his alterations to the YIJC to the original negatives, basically overwriting Hall out of the negative itself (the way he is said to have recut the original 1977 SW negative with his new additions on it, making any future "untouched" release impossible).

You do know that Stoo collected all the bookends and posted them up on Youtube right? Or have they been taken by Disney/Lucasfilm?

As for Indy's daughter- I say Mutt's wife who's comfortable enough to call him Dad. Alternatively could even be an adopted daughter or daughter of another wife. I don't personally think Willie though imo. In any case, I doubt that Disney would acknowledge those scenes as canon as Lucasfilm had already previously dumped it from canon with Skull and with the VHS and DVD releases. The Young Indy series as it stands in current form is canon or at least Spring Break Adventure is.

So there still might be the slim chance of a daughter as there needs to be a viable female lead but I just don't think so considering how successful the son was (yes that was sarcasm though personally I don't hate Mutt).

As for killing them off? No- you want to have a big crescendo end for the series. That would leave a sour taste is people's mouths frankly
Old 12-08-2016, 04:05 AM   #744
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I don't get why they'd call The Force Awakens (which I liked) or Jurassic World (which seemed fine) soft reboots when they could use terms everyone understands to call them what they are: remakes disguised as sequels.

Post of the year.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:09 AM   #745
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
(the way he is said to have recut the original 1977 SW negative with his new additions on it, making any future "untouched" release impossible).

Although it's apparently true that Lucas applied his "special edition" changes to the negative itself, reference quality prints of the original version still exist and can be used as a source for an HD upgrade. It's actually not uncommon for the negative to be unavailable in the case of restoring older films, although of course in this case what Lucas did was tasteless and avoidable.

More info here: http://arstechnica.com/business/2010/05/star-wars/
Old 12-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #746
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet
You do know that Stoo collected all the bookends and posted them up on Youtube right? Or have they been taken by Disney/Lucasfilm?

AFAIK they're still up. I just mean I'd love to see the original YIJC be restored and released, with the George Hall segments getting touched up and officially released. Stoo's collection is great - but I'd love to see the Hall segments at the same level of video quality as the rest of the series, and I think the episodic format was perhaps better than the "film" format.

Quote:
As for Indy's daughter- I say Mutt's wife who's comfortable enough to call him Dad. Alternatively could even be an adopted daughter or daughter of another wife. I don't personally think Willie though imo.

I can agree a wife of Mutt might call Indy "Dad." That's plenty common, and given that Indy is an elderly man, it's just respectful.

Quote:
In any case, I doubt that Disney would acknowledge those scenes as canon as Lucasfilm had already previously dumped it from canon with Skull and with the VHS and DVD releases. The Young Indy series as it stands in current form is canon or at least Spring Break Adventure is.

The one factor that still makes the George Hall segments at least semi-canon is the inclusion of his hand closing his diary at the end of the credits, even in the DVD releases.

Quote:
So there still might be the slim chance of a daughter as there needs to be a viable female lead but I just don't think so considering how successful the son was (yes that was sarcasm though personally I don't hate Mutt).

Honestly, the more it's talked about, the more I'm fine with the idea of Indy having a daughter in law join him on his last adventure. It'd make for an interesting dynamic to say the least.

Quote:
As for killing them off? No- you want to have a big crescendo end for the series. That would leave a sour taste is people's mouths frankly

I agree...I was just offering some interesting idea to perhaps induce a darker final chapter. Indy was too nice in KOTCS. I'd like some motivating force to push him back to his gruff anti-hero roots.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:37 AM   #747
Walecs
IndyFan

The more I listen to Rogue One's soundtrack, the more I wish Giacchino did the score for Indy 5.

Skull didn't have a particularly good score (if compared to other Williams' works) and I hated TFA's.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #748
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walecs
The more I listen to Rogue One's soundtrack, the more I wish Giacchino did the score for Indy 5.

Skull didn't have a particularly good score (if compared to other Williams' works) and I hated TFA's.

I agree that Skull was his weakest Indy score(and DEFINITELY agree TFA was his weakest SW score) but I want him to score Indy 5 over anybody else. Having someone else doing the score is the same as having someone other than Ford wear the fedora. Just...wrong.

It won't reach his peak sure, but even Kingdom's score has good variety and gets better on repeat listens. Rewatch this trailer which uses Kingdom's highlights.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #749
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Marshall recently had an interview with Moviefone

Quote:
I know that you're in the early stages of a new "Indiana Jones" movie. Can you give me a sense of where you are in the development process right now?

Just the early stages. David Koepp is our screenwriter and we're all talking, but there's really nothing down on paper yet.

What has you creatively excited about returning to that character?

Again, it's just the team. It's a wonderful team like we had on "Bourne." It's nice to have your friends that you've known. Look, I've known Harrison [Ford] and obviously Steven {Spielberg] and the whole group for 30 years now. So it's nice to have everybody back together as kind of a reunion.

Are you intrigued to see how Harrison rises to the challenge of reprising that role and the physicality of it at this stage of his career?

Listen, I watched him in "Star Wars [The Force Awakens]," and I don't think he's going to have any problem!
Old 01-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #750
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
Marshall recently had an interview with Moviefone

Naysayer mod here. Time to update that release schedule. "Nothing on paper" WTF?!
Closed Thread