Prague, August 1917

Stoo

Not one of my favourites but there is one part I really love. Indy puts oranges
in the pantyhose to make a bola and when he uses it to grab the pole there
are some cool whip sound effects.:whip:

A redeeming quality of this series is the multitude of great characters
sprinkled throughout every episode. "Prague" has some great ones.

One or two shots were reversed/flipped which I noticed because of the
buildings in the background. You can also tell by looking at Indy's hat
and his clothes in one of the scenes near the Charles bridge at his
contact's stand/kiosque. (I think it's when they first meet.)

I went to Prague a few months and it's everything people always say it is.
Absolutely beautiful!

Flannery10

I'd say, that this episode (Prague, not Paris) could have been fixed, just by some Old Indy bookends, in which he says, that everything was just a dream or they could have come up with some other explanation. But without any explanation at all, it's ridicolous.

metalinvader

Flannery10 said:
I'd say, that this episode (Prague, not Paris) could have been fixed, just by some Old Indy bookends, in which he says, that everything was just a dream or they could have come up with some other explanation. But without any explanation at all, it's ridicolous.

Or a bookend where Indy is telling this story as an April fools joke.:p

Flannery10

Certainly a good idea, metallinvader, but it would have made people even unhappier, because then it would have been obvious, that every story was just told by an old man, who probably added one thing or another to make it more interesting or make him look better. Every story was how Old Indy told them and probably not how he experienced them, something I never cared about, but other people did, and that's another reason why the series failed, I guess.

Crack that whip

Adamwankenobi said:
I like Radioland Murders

Oooh, another total Lucasfilm fan, I see! Much as I hate to say so, Radioland Murders is definitely lesser Lucasfilm, for me - though still not enough to have kept me from seeing it in theaters. More than once.

You write fan fiction, right? Perhaps for major fangeek bonus points, try writing some Indy fanfic in which he continues to encounter actual historical figures - and make them Preston Tucker, Yukio Mishima and Wolfman Jack...

Adamwankenobi

Crack that whip said:
Oooh, another total Lucasfilm fan, I see! Much as I hate to say so, Radioland Murders is definitely lesser Lucasfilm, for me - though still not enough to have kept me from seeing it in theaters. More than once.

You write fan fiction, right? Perhaps for major fangeek bonus points, try writing some Indy fanfic in which he continues to encounter actual historical figures - and make them Preston Tucker, Yukio Mishima and Wolfman Jack...

LOL! Good idea. At the moment though I'm interested in writing fan fic based on those recently-released YIJC third season synopsi. ;)

TalonCard

Prague was pretty crazy, it's true. But then again, so was having Indiana Jones, Elliot Ness, and Ernest Hemmingway involved in a crazy car chase in Mystery of the Blues. There was a better lead-up to it, sure, but when you think about it, that's almost as surreal as anything in Prague. :D

Man, I love this show...

TC

fommes

Strange, I actually like this one. It's the Kafka one right? I don't mind the comical bits, I thought it was a nice 'farcical' variation on Kafka.

tupogirl

I enjoyed this one immensely:). But I just saw it for the first time this year and I've been a fan since day one. I do like the sillier episodes. Plus this one actually reminded me of movies made during that time period, old Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin ones. And being what a big film lover Lucas seems to be, it makes sense.

***http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxjNOECdxTI This is a clip from The Butcher Boy, Keaton's first film, made in 1917:). ***

Stoo

Going to Prague again tomorrow (woo hoo!) so I watched the Young Indy episode tonight to see if I could do anymore location spotting.
Anyway, on the DVD I noticed that when Indy's annoying partner is stuck in the closet his mouth says, "I have to go to the bathroom!"
but the actual dialogue is, "I have to go wee-wee!" (My "Chronicles" version is from Austrian TV so I can't determine if this change was
made for the DVD or if the original version is the same).

I think the point-of-view in the long shots of Indy on the telephone pole don't exist as it is obviously an elaborate composite shot.

Met Tim Mcinnerny who played Kafka last Thursday, was gonna be in a film with him but he dropped out at the last moment due to illness. Nice guy though

Flannery10

Jeremiah Jones said:
Met Tim Mcinnerny who played Kafka last Thursday, was gonna be in a film with him but he dropped out at the last moment due to illness. Nice guy though

Sounds interesting. What film are you working on and did you guys talk about Young Indy?

Only briefly met him at the read through, then he dropped out. Its called Foxes on the Underground and its a fairly ambitious student film

Le Saboteur

*bump*

Just saw this episode again on DVD, and I'm not surprised that there's a lot of ire against it. Of all the episodes so far, this one is probably the hardest to swallow. Even the Barcelona companion piece on Espionage Escapades is still grounded in reality despite the extremely farcical nature.

Prague takes it a step further by stepping out of farce into Theatre of the Absurd. Or, since Kafka is the historical presence, Fiction of the Absurd. Once the viewer has that framework, the episode is rather brilliant -- the absurdity of the situation is heightened by the absurdity of Indy going up against the Austro-Hungarian Empire's bureaucracy. It also manages to capture Kafka's fatalistic tendencies by intimating that the situation is only going to repeat itself in Berlin: a lone man caught up in the bureaucratic whirl of crushingly impersonal forces.

For those of you who are interested in further reading, you should check out Albert Camus, Nikolai Gogol, & Eugene Ionesco. Jean Genet, Tom Stoppard, & Samuel Beckett are excellent examples for anybody who's interested in Theatre of the Absurd.