Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Finn

Staff member
Mod note

For all the general talk concerning the LucasFilm/Disney deal that doesn't directly have to do with the production of the new Star Wars movie, go here, please.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59411
First theory out of the gate: Damon Lindelof writing, Brad Bird directing.

Rereading this thread, there sure were a lot of fans who were sure of themselves, that this would never happen. Remember the early days of the internet when fans behaved like that? They're long past now. It all seems so silly in retrospect.

Dr. Gonzo

Goonie said:
That is the one person I don't want to have a go at it...
Star Wars is "fantasy"... Nolan's films are, well, I don't want to say gritty... or reality... but perhaps "grounded"?

Having Nolan direct a Star Wars film would be like Arnold Schwarzenegger teaching a class on proper pronunciation of english.

And besides I'd prefer a Michael Caine free Star Wars.

Dr. Gonzo said:
That is the one person I don't want to have a go at it...
Star Wars is "fantasy"... Nolan's films are, well, I don't want to say gritty... or reality... but perhaps "grounded"?

Having Nolan direct a Star Wars film would be like Arnold Schwarzenegger teaching a class on proper pronunciation of english.

And besides I'd prefer a Michael Caine free Star Wars.

this barrage of nonsense is why I hate the interwebs...god, I miss the full one page of hollywood speculation in ancient Starlog magazines.

Montana Smith

Imagine Nolan making Star Wars 'real' again.

It would be just the like the original trilogy, but without Ewoks.
yess1.gif

Nolan to direct Han Solo at Stars' End. It could be the first proper prequel. i.e. Bollux instead of Bollocks.

Bollux-DB.jpg

Montana Smith

Hamill and Fisher knew about Star Wars sequels last year

Original stars met with George Lucas to discuss the projects, but didn't know about Disney deal

But he says that he did not know anything about the planned deal between Lucasfilm and Disney.

?Last August, he asked Carrie and I to have lunch with him and we did,? he told Entertainment Weekly.

?I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the 'Star Wars' TV series that I?ve heard about - or the 3-D releases.

?So when he said, 'We decided we?re going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,' I was just gobsmacked. 'What? Are you nuts?!'

?[Lucas] was just talking about writers and the fact that he wouldn?t be directing. I guess he wanted us to know before everybody else knew. He said, ?Now you can?t tell anybody!? Even now I?m nervous about saying anything. I just don?t know!?

Hamill, who may or may not have a role in the forthcoming films, added that he's come round to the idea.

?I can see both sides of it. Because in a way, there was a beginning, a middle, and an end and we all lived happily ever after and that?s the way it should be - and it?s great that people have fond memories, if they do have fond memories.

?But on the other hand, there?s this ravenous desire on the part of the true believers to have more and more and more material. It?s one of those things: people either just don?t care for it or are passionate about it. I guess that defines what cult movies are all about. We?ll see.?

The first new 'Star Wars' film, the seventh in the series, is due for 2015.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/hamill-and-fisher-knew-about-star-wars-sequels-last-year.html

kongisking

I'd love to see Hamill come back, for three reasons:

1) Hamill deserves to be given work again. He's proven that he's a very talented voice actor by playing the Joker in various Batman projects, and it would be great to see him reprise the role in a Yoda-like role as the new head of the Jedi Order.

2) The new trilogy must focus on a Skywalker, in some capacity. They are the focal point of the entire franchise, it's simply required.

3) Damn it all, I've read so many interviews with Hamill, and he just seems like the most wonderful, funny, likable dude. So I just want to see him on film again out of support. :D

Montana Smith

I just want my Hot Toys Bespin Luke figures.
impatient1.gif

kongisking said:
I'd love to see Hamill come back, for three reasons:

1) Hamill deserves to be given work again. He's proven that he's a very talented voice actor by playing the Joker in various Batman projects, and it would be great to see him reprise the role in a Yoda-like role as the new head of the Jedi Order.

2) The new trilogy must focus on a Skywalker, in some capacity. They are the focal point of the entire franchise, it's simply required.

3) Damn it all, I've read so many interviews with Hamill, and he just seems like the most wonderful, funny, likable dude. So I just want to see him on film again out of support. :D

It is a shame that his career was eclipsed by Harrison Ford's. Rogues are more fun than celibate Jedi.

If Hamill came back there would be the question of also bringing back Harrison and Carrie. Then there's the Indiana Jones problem of presenting 'geriatrics' to a young audience.

They might, instead, focus on the children of Leia and Han. So we could have cameos from the original stars as a nod to the past.

Henry W Jones

Personally, I feel they need to push for story a generation or two ahead of ROTJ. Skywalkers yes, Luke, Han, Leia....no. They waited to long and I dont think its a good idea. They introduce a new generation of Skywalkers in the previous trilogies and I dont want SW EU anymore screwed up than it has been already

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Mark Hamill, Onion A.V. Club Interview

The A.V. Club: We would be remiss if we didn’t ask how you felt about the big announcement.
Mark Hamill: What big announcement? [Laughs.] The $4.05 billion announcement?

AVC: As someone who was at the epicenter of the Star Wars universe, how do you feel?
MH: Well, I’m happy for George [Lucas]. Obviously he’s thrilled that this happened. It’s a great surprise. I read it online like anybody else. I have mixed feelings about it, but I think Disney certainly hasn’t done badly by the Marvel universe. They’ve done well with the Muppets, and I guess they own Pixar as well. So, hey, it’s George’s toy box. He can sell it to whomever he’d like. It’s kind of sad to see what, in my mind, is a mom-and pop-operation… which is foolish, because I’m talking 30 years ago. But whatever makes him happy. The problem is, I don’t have enough information. If you’re asking whether we’re involved in [Episodes] VII, VIII, IX, I don’t have enough information, so I can’t make any comment at this point.

AVC: So you’re not getting back into shape, doing a bunch of crunches so you can fit back in your old costumes?
MH: They can green-screen my abs. But seriously, I don’t have the information. He’s told us a lot—he told us about wanting to continue the episodes last summer, but we were sworn to secrecy. And between Carrie [Fisher] and I, and Harrison [Ford] and George, I don’t know what’s on the record and what’s off the record. I don’t know who’s involved and not involved, and until I know more, I can’t really make an announcement. That’s why I thought, “Well that’s odd that we haven’t resolved all this before he makes his announcement about going with Disney.” Again, I’m not in the driver’s seat, he is. But it put us in an awkward position because nothing has been… I mean, we don’t have enough information to make any kind of announcement at all.

AVC: This is obviously a huge part of who you are or who you were, but it’s also Lucas’ baby.
MH: Well, first of all, when it was over, it was over. There was a beginning, a middle, and an end. I didn’t know he was going to wait as long as he did to do the prequels. And with the prequels, I just said I’m going to let it be. I don’t want to be someone that hangs around and says, “Well, in my day, blah blah blah.” It should be approached as an entirely new project. Now, if they invite me to visit the set, I’d love to, but I’m not going to ask myself. I didn’t, and I wasn’t. I never met any of those people. It was one of those things where it was over for me. Emotionally, it was over. That’s why we were so shocked that he decided to do what he’s going to do.

Read more (including about the Holiday Special) here.

Finn

Staff member
AndyLGR said:
Maybe supershadow wasn't so full of **** after all
Maybe I can **** rough diamonds next time I take a dump, if I try hard enough.

Dr. Gonzo

You heard it here...

very soon to be confirmed:

Screenwriter Michael Arndt has been hired to take the first pass at Star Wars VII.

He penned Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3.

Montana Smith

Dr. Gonzo said:
You heard it here...

very soon to be confirmed:

Screenwriter Michael Arndt has been hired to take the first pass at Star Wars VII.

He penned Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3.

When Yoda said there was another, it turns out he wasn't talking about Leia.

buzz_lightsaber_by_rain1940-d35vhrl%25255B6%25255D.jpg

Forbidden Eye

According to IMDB, he's also working on an adaptation of the comic book "Oblivion", The Hunger Games sequel, the Phineas and Ferb movie and another Pixar movie. I hope his creativity isn't getting stretched out.

AndyLGR

I think these sequels have the potential to generate even more hype than the prequels, i say that for 2 reasons. Firstly there's the talk that original characters like Luke and leia will make an appearance. I think the fans will find that news exciting, however the downside is we have seen little of these actors for the last 30 years, so we can't expect another gold bikini leia appearance or a youthful Luke leaping around.

Secondly the prequels were restricted in that we knew what had to happen, so the general story arc was constrained in that respect. These sequels are not tied like that, they can do anything they want.