If you grew up in the eighties, post here!

Indy's Fist

I was born in 1973 so yeah I'm a kid of the 80's.

Masters of the Universe
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek

These are some of my favorite things. Strangly I was never taken with tech like so many others here were. I had an Atari 2600 & a VCR but that was it. Even to this day I'm as old fasioned as it gets. I still have my home phone, dial-up internet, books, etc.

roundshort

Another 1973er here.

Great thing about that time period were the great late 60's and 70's reruns that were on with current programing. Oh, and the plaid pants . . .

roundshort said:
Great thing about that time period were the great late 60's and 70's reruns that were on with current programing. Oh, and the plaid pants . . .

Absolutely! I wasted more hours of my childhood watching stuff like Cannon, Barnaby Jones, It Takes a Thief, Bonanza, The Wild, Wild West, The Rockford Files, and Quincy (to name but a few) than is recommended. I routinely pilfered these shows' plots for my own terrible stories and action figure "epics", that my best friends and I created.

Now, unless you buy the DVDs, those shows aren't around on TV anymore. :dead:

sandiegojones

I was born in 1979 so I'm an 80's kid. G.I. Joe, He-Man, Transformers, Star Wars and Indy! Raiders was the first movie I ever saw. I remember getting ice cream cones at the Thrifty's after school (I shoplifted some G.I. Joe figures there too which I am ashamed to admit) and going to Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor with my sister to buy Garbage Pail Kids cards and candy cigarettes.

The 80's were great! Much more optimistic times than now (at least in Southern California). I think it was the last great time to be a kid. We still went outside an played back then, even if we did have an NES or Atari system. Saturday mornings were fun! I'd have a bowl of Fruit Loops or Trix (maybe some Mr. T cereal too). I remember all of the commercials. Remember the McNugget guys? The Noid? Where's the beef? My Buddy! (y)

My childhood was great until 1990 an I moved from San Diego to Riverside. It seemed like I moved across the country, but it was only an hour an a half away. When you're really young an can't drive that can make you feel really isolated.

Were you watching Mike & Mike this morning Canyon? They had 80's day. It was pretty cool!

By virtue of being born in 1971, I guess my childhood overlaps a bit. I remember the 1976 Bicentennial, the Presidential election of 1976, Jimmy Carter, Disco, The Six Million Dollar Man, Star Wars' premiere, etc. My childhood nostalgia extends from 1976 to roughly 1985, when I realized things weren't like they "used to be." My memories from the late 1970s are quite vivid, but I can't really consider myself a 1970s kid, can I? I essentially "grew up" being fully aware of the 1980s, though I like to make the argument that the eighties didn't really begin until 1981; 1980 still seemed like the seventies to me. But then every decade has stylistic and cultural overlap, doesn't it? The seventies didn't truly begin until 1975 in some ways...but that's grist for another thread...

drjones

Awesome thread, Canyon, thanks for having this one!! I'm an 80's kid too (born in 1971). Man, lots of memories:

Knight Rider
The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi
The Great Space Coaster
C-3POs Cereal
Indy Trilogy (obviously!)
Van Halen (favorite songs to this day are "Jump" and "Dreams" among others)
Max Headroom
Saturday morning cartoons (why don't they have these for kids anymore???)
Boston:Third Stage

I could name a whole lot more but I won't. I loved the eighties, it was such a simpler time to me, and the world wasn't quite like it is now. I miss it. But at least we all have our memories. :)

This might severely damage my subsequent "hipness quotient", but Summertime and comic books reminds me of the early 1980s and so does the music of Duran Duran. There's an Indy connection of sorts, as a few of the band's videos were filmed in Sri Lanka and their song, "Hungry Like the Wolf" has some Raiders-esque scenery, especially the cantina when Duran singer Simon LeBon tips a table over. It looks just like the Cairo bar where Indy and Belloq have their face to face. But anytime I hear Duran Duran songs, I think of my childhood days in those long-ago early eighties, especially the songs from their RIO album. Believe it or not, but in 1983-84, Duran Duran were second in popularity only to Michael Jackson in his Thriller period. The girls went crazy for them, and we guys thought the songs and videos were cool.

Gear

InBanana Jones said:
This might severely damage my subsequent "hipness quotient"

Do you even read some of the stuff that comes from these forums?

And I include some of my own material in that "stuff"

RedeemedChild

I can't really say that I grew up in the eighties because I was born in 1988, yet I can say that being a child of the nineties I experienced things that grew out of the eighties such as SEGA Genesis and TMNT's.

mfisher

I was born in 75... so I am a product of the eighties..

And I find it funny that you started this thread out by referring to the VCR... that is actually why i became such a huge Indy nerd from back in the day... when we got our first VCR my parents only bought one VHS tape.. ( John Wayne's The Green Berets.. and I wanna say they paid like 60 bucks just for the friggin movie... movies were outrageously expensive back then)... so what we did is rent a bunch of movies and go to my uncle's house.. he had two VCRs linked up and could dub off movies.... ( I am pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out on this by now !!) ..anyway, Dad dubbed off a copy of Raiders because he thought I would like it.. and boy did I ! My brother would get so pissed at me because I watched that movie EVERY day one summer... next thing you know I was running all over the neighborhood in an old beat up and tattered felt hat my father dug out from the back of the closet... good times...

Other fun memories :
Kenner's Mask toy line
saturday morning cartoons
3 3/4" GI Joes
Friday night videos ( for those of us that did not have cable and MTV)
Trips to the comic book store ( I collected the Indy comics, my brother always got the GI Joe comics.. we both still have all of them in mint condition)

Jorbex

I was born in 1976; eighties child all the way!

My favorite toys were Star Wars, G.I. Joe and Masters of the Universe, but I also loved M.A.S.K., the Smurfs, Hot Wheels, and many, many others...

Ah, the memories! :D

indyclone25

i was a child of the 70's and 80's in 77 i was 11 when star wars came out and in 81 i was 15 when raiders came out. so for me a big movie and comic book nerd i was having the time of my life , i read comics of spiderman when he was meeting the black cat for the first time , and the xmen were being written and drawn by claremont and byrne. then of course i had the greatest of movies , from star wars to return of the jedi , indy trilogy , back to the future , and bladerunner , and then there was movies like rambo and conan the barbarian. so it was a fun time , listening to great music and watching mtv( when they actually played videos all day) it was a great time .

The Drifter

I was born in late '81. Most of my early memories revolve around the 80s and early 90s. I remember He-man, GI Joe, Transformers, the rise of Pac-Man, Q-Bert and Zaxxon. The Ataro 2600, NES, and the SNES.
I remember Saturday morning cartoons, and prizes in cereal boxes. Jelly shoes, big hair, glam metal, and slap bracelets. Cool velcro binders, the start of The Simpsons, TMNT, and ABC's TGIF.
Those were the good ol' days.

Indy's brother

sandiegojones said:
The 80's were great! Much more optimistic times than now (at least in Southern California). I think it was the last great time to be a kid. We still went outside an played back then, even if we did have an NES or Atari system. Saturday mornings were fun! I'd have a bowl of Fruit Loops or Trix (maybe some Mr. T cereal too).

I agree, I walked half a mile to school for 8 years, and once I got a skateboard at age 13, the entire city of Aurora, Illinois became my playground. The information age has kind of ruined it for kids. All these horrible man-bites-dog stories of serial killers and child molesters that we have such easy access to have made parents paranoid that there is an abductor hiding in every bush and around every corner. Gone are the days where it was normal to go home from your baseball game without a trophy...because you LOST. Commercials were a way of life, and you had to wait a whole week to watch your favorite cartoons! I still remember waking up before everyone else to get myself a bowl of cereal and watch the cartoons on saturday morning! I also remember sunday sucking badly because of it, too. After all, in comparison, waking up early to go be bored to tears in a stuffy church was a real let-down.

The Drifter

teampunk said:
What the heck, we didn't have any Hulamaniaks in here? No Macho Maddness followers?

I was a HUGE Hulkamaniac! I remember watching Wrestlemania 3 when he defeated Andre the Giant!