Superman: Man of Steel

How should the Superman franchise continue?

• Let Singer's franchise continue

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Let Millar's revamp take place

Votes: 32 52.5%

• Total voters

TheMutt92

Got this off superherohype.com.

Millar Has Director & Producer for Superman Revamp?
Source: Superhero Hype! July 2, 2008

Back in October of 2007, Mark Millar (Wanted) said he was going to pitch Warner Bros. Pictures his vision of the "Superman" franchise. Now, just a few days ago, he told the Daily Record he is taking it a step further:

But Mark's big dream is making a Superman movie.

He said: "Since I was a kid I've always wanted to reinvent Superman for the 21st century.

"I've been planning this my entire life. I've got my director and producer set up, and it'll be 2011. This is how far ahead you have to think.

"The Superman brand is toxic after that last movie lost $200 million, but in 2011 we're hoping to restart it.

"Sadly I can't say who the director is, but we may make it official by Christmas.

"But fingers crossed it could work out, that would be my lifetime's dream."

Millar later clarified on his message boards:

That Superman news is interesting, isn't it? In the interests of clarity (because I'm sure this will be picked up somewhere) a very well known American action director heard about my love of Superman, approached my and asked me to team up with he and his producer to make a pitch for this. We've been talking for several weeks now and, if this is going to happen, we'll know by Christmas. He has huge pull at WB so fingers crossed. But this is nothing more than a huge US name pulling me into his fold and making me part of a package."

Back in March, Bryan Singer said he was still developing the sequel and in April, Legendary Pictures' Thomas Tull described a sequel in which we'd see "Superman as more of an angry god." We'll have to wait and see how this all turns out.

So what do you think: should Singer continue his franchise, or should Millar's revamp be allowed to take place? Personally, I would've rather had the revamp take place before Superman Returns took place (though I do like Returns and admire Singer continuing off Superman I and II). But since Returns happened first, I think Singer should be given a second chance.

Lon

I'll refrain from voting until I know what Millar's idea is. JJ Abrams also wanted to revamp Superman and his idea was terrible.

Lon said:
I'll refrain from voting until I know what Millar's idea is. JJ Abrams also wanted to revamp Superman and his idea was terrible.

So the world is forced to endure Abram's re-invention of Star Trek. Abrams is a hack.

deckard24

I'd like to see the series continue! As for Singer I don't know, he really dropped the ball with SR, and after coming off of X-Men 2 that was a big surprise. They should never have made it as a remake and continuation of Superman 2, and the casting ie. Kate Bosworth was terrible! Brandon Routh I thought did a great job, and I hope he's brought back. Unfortunately for him, Singer's direction of him and the film could cost him a career. He's done nothing really since then, when for a brief span he was the next big thing.

If they were to bring back Luthor, I'd vote for Jeff Bridges, who in Iron Man(albeit playing a different character) was more convincing as Lex Luthorish then Spacey. Besides Luthor, the film needs a villain who could really mess up Superman and do some damage, ie. Doomsday or General Zod. Let's hope they go that route!

Montana_Jones

Need to realise Superman I, II and Returns are practically the pre-Crisis Superman mythos. We need a post-Crisis Supes finally. Meaning both Jonathan and Martha Kent are still alive and well, Krypton is different, more diverse use of Kal-Els powers, larger "S" shield, Clark Kent not a bumbling moron, Lex Luthor a business-tycoon and other stuff.
Perhaps Singer will finally have the ultimate Superman movie. Tons of action with Supes use of all his powers fighting a horde of bad guys. This series doesn't need to be overly reliant on Lex Luthor anymore compared to the Christopher Reeve films. I wanna see Superman fight Darkseid, Mongul, Metallo, Parasite and other villains.

But devils advocate, The Flash (Wally West), has a far more diverse and superior line-up for his Rogues Gallery. So in actuality, I'd much rather see a THE FLASH film. Captain Cold, Heat Wave, Captain Boomerang, Mirror Master, The Trickster, Tar Pit, Pied Piper, Gorilla Grodd and others. Ryan Reynolds could be the perfect Wally West.

agentsands77

The franchise needs a revamp. The way SUPERMAN RETURNS left the story is just terribly awkward - no really great franchise will be able to pick up from there. There are better ways to handle the characters than Donner or Singer managed to do.

TheMutt92

agentsands77 said:
The franchise needs a revamp. The way SUPERMAN RETURNS left the story is just terribly awkward - no really great franchise will be able to pick up from there. There are better ways to handle the characters than Donner or Singer managed to do.

Quite the opposite. I see a ton of places the franchise could go.

sandiegojones

I actually liked Superman Returns for the most part. As a sequel to the old films works okay, but it doesn't stand on it's own too well. I was a little let down initially because I expected more action. Still, a sequel to a 25 year old film wasn't the way to go ultimately. They could have just retold the same story from the original and just "updated" it a bit with perhaps a new villain and people would have been happy. That's all Batman Begins was. Same with the new Hulk film.

Also, I don't want to offend, but Superman did look a little gay in SR. Most guys I know don't like SR because they feel there's a gay vibe about it. His spit curl and designer suit were a bit too much and that fact that the director is gay doesn't help. Being an adopted homosexual jew probably gave Singer insight into the outcast mutants of X-Men, but I don't think it works for Superman. He was too melancholy.

The thing is that you cannot change Supes too much without ruining the character altogether. It'd be better if they made a period Superman film. Kind of like a live action version of the old Fleischer cartoons. That I'd love to see! They could even do the elseworlds tales. RED SON is an awesome Superman story about "what if" Kal-El's rocket had landed in the USSR instead of the US. Supes becomes Stalin's successor and Batman is an anti-communist freedom fighter trying to kill him. Lex is a government scientist trying to build his own super man for defense and the Roswell crash is the Green Lanterns! Also, Nixon is assassinated in '63 and Kennedy is the President after with Marylin Monroe as First Lady. I love it! I think people would be interesting in something that's very different. We've all seen the same stuff so why not take a chance?

Hopefully they get a quality director. Spielberg would be great (also for Captain America since it's a WWII period film) but he'd never do it I think.

Last edited:

agentsands77

I honestly think they should go the INCREDIBLE HULK route and do a "sequel to a film that never existed," take the core concept of ALL-STAR SUPERMAN and run with it. You could get a hell of a film out of that.

Niteshade007

I never saw Superman Returns, but what made it different from Superman (the Christopher Reeve one)? From what I can tell, it had the same characters.

Michael24

I was never a fan of the Superman movies, not even the original, or even really of Bryan Singer. So I went into Superman Returns with some heavy reservations, and I walked out having enjoyed every second of it. I'd like to see a sequel.

nezobiwan

Niteshade007 said:
I never saw Superman Returns, but what made it different from Superman (the Christopher Reeve one)? From what I can tell, it had the same characters.
'Returns' is what I consider to be the hypothetical 3rd part to Donner's original vision of the Christopher Reeve trilogy (siderailed by stupid fighting and consequential overtaking of Supes II with Richard Lester as director). It's worth seeing once if you liked the Reeve's Supes, but not really relevant or interesting otherwise. There are jokes, lines, and events that are referenced from the Reeve movies that are frankly lost on those who'd never seen those old ones.

A valant effort... but ultimately forgettable. No one will ever be as awesome as Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor...

"Otisburg??? OTIS-burg???"

And why wasn't Robin Tunney cast as the new Lois Lane??? She's a dead ringer for Margot Kidder, except waaaay cuter and less annoying. Kate Bosworth? Totally out of left field. (n)

The Man

nezobiwan said:
'Returns' is what I consider to be the hypothetical 3rd part to Donner's original vision of the Christopher Reeve trilogy (siderailed by stupid fighting and consequential overtaking of Supes II with Richard Lester as director). It's worth seeing once if you liked the Reeve's Supes, but not really relevant or interesting otherwise. There are jokes, lines, and events that are referenced from the Reeve movies that are frankly lost on those who'd never seen those old ones.

A valant effort... but ultimately forgettable. No one will ever be as awesome as Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor...

"Otisburg??? OTIS-burg???"

And why wasn't Robin Tunney cast as the new Lois Lane??? She's a dead ringer for Margot Kidder, except waaaay cuter and less annoying. Kate Bosworth? Totally out of left field. (n)

Kate Bosworth's casting was utterly inexplicable. Did they pick her name out of a hat? Parker Posey could have played Lois better...

TheMutt92

The Man said:
Kate Bosworth's casting was utterly inexplicable. Did they pick her name out of a hat? Parker Posey could have played Lois better...

I think Kevin Spacey recommended her from working on Beyond the Sea w/ her. Since that and Superman, they worked together on the movie 21.

They should have just taken Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum to the big screen since the torch was officially passed to Welling by Chris Reeve. Makes no sense to spend 5 years developing a dedicated fanbase and give the roles to someone else entirely. Talk about a slap in the face to the fans.