Harrison vs. Tom

Indys_favorite

Alright, this has probably already been thrown around and discussed NUMEROUS times, but I am new here..and I want to know what everyone thinks.
As I am sure we all know Tom Sellect was originally cast to play Indiana Jones. Make a long story short- CBS forbid it...so we got BLESSED with Harrison. Personally, like I have said in a previous thread- I wouldn't be AS big of an Indiana fan if it wasn't for the way Ford portrayed Jones. So the question is...Would you or wouldn't you be as big of a fan without Harrison? And why? What is better about Ford? Or what would have been better about Sellect?
I think it would have been lacking if we wouldn't of had that half smile that Harrison has. It?s an Indy....trademark.

(personal opinion- Harrison makes Indy)

Raffey

In my opinion, Tom Selleck is just a horrible actor. I hated Magnum PI and most of his roles he plays them the exact same way.

His best movie was Three Men and a Baby but he had to share screen credit with two other major male stars.

High Road to China was okay but didn't really have any *umph*.

I don't think I'd be much of an Indy fan if Tom played him.

swords

An now impossible, possibility.:D

Seriously though, he has that certain hero quality for the role. Quigly Down Under, and that 1983 film which was similiar to Raiders(forget the name, and darn it I never watched it) the role would have fit him like a glove. Circumstances,(Magnum P.I), or maybe destiny, forbid him the role.

But it wouldn't have made a difference to me, it's the idea of Indiana Jones Im fascinated with, not the actor who plays him(though Ford is fun to watch as Indy). And Sellect would have brought the same thing, it's just that Ford got the role.

fatima

I think we are BLESSED FOR HAVING HARRISON FORD as Indy!!!
No, I definelty don't think I'd be fan of Indy with Tom!
Harrison gives soul to that character...like I doubt where fiction is and where reality is, Indiana J. for me is a live character and Ford portraits it perfectly as none else would do...it's not possible for me to love Indiana J. trilogy more than I do, so Ford always!!!
That smile, that looks with his face expressions, his methods, his courage is so visible...to sum his essence makes Indy really believable.

I like Selleck

I think everyone likes Tom Selleck.

He is a good-looking, happy, easy-going guy who can't disguise that he is a good-looking, happy, easy-going guy. That may well be his downfall. "High Road to China" could have been so much better, but they simply did not know how to "layer on" the dramatic tension. When Lucas-Spielberg put Jones in a tight spot there are a dozen things going on all at once and they are all scary. Budget film makers don't do that. High Road to China tried to buy the audience with neat scenary and a thin plotline. Jack whatsis as a sidekick was lame.

It is hard to say. I think Selleck could have done better, but ultimately he may be too good-looking and larger than life to be "everyman" and he'd have to learn to grimace and act perturbed the way Ford has.

Canyon

I certainly don't think that Tom Selleck would have been good as Harrison Ford was. I think you can create a fantastic character, but if you don't have a charasmatic actor to play that person, then I don't think it works that well.

I have written something on this subject here:http://www.theindyexperience.com/popularity.shtml
(I'm not showing off, honest!)

I think you all know my answer...

but just in case you don't, I think Indy just wouldn't have been the same with Tom Selleck instead of Harrison Ford. I believe that there would be alot less Indy fans.

Canyon

Leia Organa Solo said:
I think you all know my answer...

but just in case you don't, I think Indy just wouldn't have been the same with Tom Selleck instead of Harrison Ford. I believe that there would be alot less Indy fans.

I'd also have to go with this as well.

fatima

Canyon, I've print what you post there at theindyexperience and it's so well said.....really! thanks for share that with us!

Canyon

fatima said:
Canyon, I've print what you post there at theindyexperience and it's so well said.....really! thanks for share that with us!

Fatima, thanks. (I wasn't being showoffy, I just thought that you guys might be interested....) :D

I have three things to say:
1) If Tom Selleck played Indy, the movies NEVER EVER EVER!!! would have been nearly as popular as he is. Harrison Ford is the epitome of Indiana Jones. It's like he was born to play the part.
2) If Tom Selleck played Indy, I would have never fallen in love with I.J. His looks couldn't reach Harrison's with a thirty foot pole! ugh, and that mustache...yuck
3) THANK YOU SO MUCH CANYON FOR THAT ESSAY!!! Oh my God i love it. You have such a way with words. Yet again, you hit the nail on the head!! I printed it out.

monkey

I find it interesting that there is often an undercurrent of hostility whenever subjects like this are discussed.

Why hate Tom Selleck just because he could have possibly gotten the role of IJ in ROTLA?

Why hate James Bond movies just because someone dares to compare them to IJ movies?

I don't know, anyway....

Broom characterizes Selleck quite well in his post. I agree.

I liked Magnum PI. Tom Selleck is a good actor. It is interesting to think of what would have been had he played IJ.

I liked High Road to China.

But one very important point is this: Would he have shaved his trademark mustache for the IJ role?

Canyon

Indygirl21 said:
1) If Tom Selleck played Indy, the movies NEVER EVER EVER!!! would have been nearly as popular as he is. Harrison Ford is the epitome of Indiana Jones. It's like he was born to play the part.
2) If Tom Selleck played Indy, I would have never fallen in love with I.J. His looks couldn't reach Harrison's with a thirty foot pole! ugh, and that mustache...yuck
3) THANK YOU SO MUCH CANYON FOR THAT ESSAY!!! Oh my God i love it. You have such a way with words. Yet again, you hit the nail on the head!! I printed it out.

Indygirl21, Thank you for your kind remarks. The article seems to have gone down quite well, which I am very pleased about. :D

p.s. Did you know that Kiara has started up her own drooling Indy messageboard (mentioned in her signature). I will be joining very soon and still thinking of starting up a Yahoo group so hope to see you there!)

fatima

Indygirl21 said:
:)HIP HIP HURRAY FOR indygirl21 for your post above!!!! :)