Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

curmudgeon

Raiders112390 said:
A worry of mine is that Disney will kill off Harrison's Indy in the new film, to ensure fans can't get an Indy 6 with Ford even if they want one. Both to really push their new actor as the only alternative, and also because a younger actor would probably be paid a lot less.

Likelihood of a sixth with Harrison are pretty slim to begin with, unless they pull a "Creed" and follow 5 up with him playing a supporting mentor to a spun-off protege.

Duaner

Raiders112390 said:
A worry of mine is that Disney will kill off Harrison's Indy in the new film, to ensure fans can't get an Indy 6 with Ford even if they want one.

Unless Indy 6 were a prequel. Only Harrison Ford's death would ensure no more Indy films with Ford.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Duaner said:

Heh, nice pun:
Ensure_range.png

Z dweller

Duaner said:
Only Harrison Ford's death would ensure no more Indy films with Ford.
Are you sure?

Weekend at Indy's

No doubt some of the hard core Ford fetishists on this forum would be quite happy to watch it. :p

Weekend-at-Bernies.jpeg

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
Are you sure?

Weekend at Indy's

No doubt some of the hard core Ford fetishists on this forum would be quite happy to watch it. :p

Weekend-at-Bernies.jpeg

People who support Harrison as Indy aren't "fetishists." Especially considering he's the only person besides River Phoenix to play Indy on the big screen. People who like Harrison Ford, on an Indiana Jones fansite, don't need to be insulted and called "fetishists."

Last edited:

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
People who support Harrison as Indy aren't "fetishists." Especially considering he's the only person besides River Phoenix to play Indy on the big screen. People who like Harrison Ford, on an Indiana Jones fansite, don't need to be insulted and called "fetishists."
A minority of Raven posters (the "Ford is Indy and Indy is Ford" brigade) are clearly more attached to the actor than to the character, which is a form of fetishism.

And you are hardly qualified to preach forum etiquette, pal. :gun:

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
A minority of Raven posters (the "Ford is Indy and Indy is Ford" brigade) are clearly more attached to the actor than to the character, which is a form of fetishism.

And you are hardly qualified to preach forum etiquette, pal. :gun:

Well, it kind of makes sense though, doesn't it? I mean, we've had what...6 actors play Indy in different mediums (I'm including the now-deleted George Hall segments from Young Indy). But even despite that, it's the films which have made the most impact arguably. It's Harrison who has made the most of the role, even despite having some great actors play Indy more often than he has. It's my opinion that he played the part the best.

I mean, it's not like Indy is James Bond, where the character first existed on some other medium and was only later transferred to the big screen. It's easy to imagine tons of different actors playing different intepretations of Bond and Batman because there's source material to give leeway to both. Whereas with Indy, any interpretation of Indy's character, even in say, a reboot, would (if Disney didn't want to offend fans) incorporate Ford as much as possible - Even if just in the new actor's looks and/or mannerisms. You can't really get too far away from how Indy is portrayed in those departs without it drifting away from Indy...So, you can't have for example, a Roger Moore sort of Indy. Harrison is so firmly established in the public consciousness as Indiana Jones that it just wouldn't work.

Indy didn't really exist until Harrison played him and gave him the little personal quirks etc that Harrison uniquely brought to the role. In that way, Harrison is Indy; He's iconic in the part so much that Indy (as played by Harrison) is a part of pop culture history.

Yes, it is easy to imagine a post Ford era in Indy's history, and I hope the franchise does continue past Harrison (if done right), and yes, other actors have proven they can play the part well (I quite liked River and Flannery's portrayals myself; I think Tom Selleck could have been really interesting as Indy in theory).

But, I don't think anyone else could have been (or will be) quite as iconic as Harrison was. Harrison's no Brando, but he is a quirky actor and puts little details and differences into the parts he plays. Beside that, he's always been more than just 'the guy wearing the costume' - Spielberg and Lucas have always had him invested partially in the creative process behind each film (IE, the Cairo Swordsman sequence). Even if say, you get an amazing actor to fill the role, I don't think he'll ever capture the public's imagination in the way Ford in the part did. It's not like replacing Connery as Bond...It's not that easy. And even that, for a time, seemed unimaginable to many people.

You may call it fetishism if you wish, but I do think considering the above, it's not irrational that to some, Indy would be Ford.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
Well, it kind of makes sense though, doesn't it? I mean, we've had what...6 actors play Indy in different mediums (I'm including the now-deleted George Hall segments from Young Indy). But even despite that, it's the films which have made the most impact arguably. It's Harrison who has made the most of the role, even despite having some great actors play Indy more often than he has. It's my opinion that he played the part the best.

I mean, it's not like Indy is James Bond, where the character first existed on some other medium and was only later transferred to the big screen. It's easy to imagine tons of different actors playing different intepretations of Bond and Batman because there's source material to give leeway to both. Whereas with Indy, any interpretation of Indy's character, even in say, a reboot, would (if Disney didn't want to offend fans) incorporate Ford as much as possible - Even if just in the new actor's looks and/or mannerisms. You can't really get too far away from how Indy is portrayed in those departs without it drifting away from Indy...So, you can't have for example, a Roger Moore sort of Indy. Harrison is so firmly established in the public consciousness as Indiana Jones that it just wouldn't work.

Indy didn't really exist until Harrison played him and gave him the little personal quirks etc that Harrison uniquely brought to the role. In that way, Harrison is Indy; He's iconic in the part so much that Indy (as played by Harrison) is a part of pop culture history.

Yes, it is easy to imagine a post Ford era in Indy's history, and I hope the franchise does continue past Harrison (if done right), and yes, other actors have proven they can play the part well (I quite liked River and Flannery's portrayals myself; I think Tom Selleck could have been really interesting as Indy in theory).

But, I don't think anyone else could have been (or will be) quite as iconic as Harrison was. Harrison's no Brando, but he is a quirky actor and puts little details and differences into the parts he plays. Beside that, he's always been more than just 'the guy wearing the costume' - Spielberg and Lucas have always had him invested partially in the creative process behind each film (IE, the Cairo Swordsman sequence). Even if say, you get an amazing actor to fill the role, I don't think he'll ever capture the public's imagination in the way Ford in the part did. It's not like replacing Connery as Bond...It's not that easy. And even that, for a time, seemed unimaginable to many people.

You may call it fetishism if you wish, but I do think considering the above, it's not irrational that to some, Indy would be Ford.
con·tra·dic·tion
/ˌkäntrəˈdikSH(ə)n/

noun

a combination of statements, ideas, or features of a situation that are opposed to one another.

Z dweller

Walecs said:
Z dweller, what the heck is wrong with you?

Answer:
Pretty much everything
Cute... :rolleyes:

If this is the average level of your comments, it's just as well you don't post often.

Silvor

Raiders112390 said:
Completely agree!
going by the posts of some of the people on these boards one would think they'd be about 14 years old, at least I hope they are. I mean insulting other people, come on, is this the schoolyard?

It seems they are completely unable to realize that people love the Indy movies for different reasons. There is not one correct way to perceive the series and it's elements.

It continues to baffle me how this forum dedicated to such a wonderful movie series can be so hostile.

Joe Brody

Z dweller said:
Are you sure?

Weekend at Indy's

Weekend-at-Bernies.jpeg

Sorry Swiss Army Man got there first for all those Harry Potter fans:

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yrK1f4TsQfM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFedora

Frank Marshall confirms -once again- that Ford won't be recast.

Asked by Variety senior film and media writer Brent Lang about continuing “Indiana Jones” for even more sequels, Marshall said it could happen. “It’s all about the story. I think both in the ‘Jason Bourne’ series and on ‘Indiana Jones,’ we are not going to do the Bond thing,” Marshall said, referring to rotating different actors through the title roles in the two franchises that he oversees. “We think those characters are iconic and those are the only actors who can play that.”

Marshall said the next “Jones” installment will not be a prequel, but a continuation of the story from where it left off with “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” in 200

So...I am guessing 'no prequel' includes flashback elements as well? Well, I think this may indicate a sendoff film.

Z dweller

That Variety article gets the nomination for most misleading title of the year.

What Marshall actually said is: it could happen, we could see more movies beyond Indy 5.

I very much doubt Ford will play Indy in his 80s, and don't believe for a second that Disney acquired the IP just to make one last movie.

Last edited:

James

Z dweller said:
That Variety article gets the nomination for most misleading title of the year.

What Marshall actually said is: it could happen, we could see more movies beyond Indy 5.

Marshall's comments do not contradict the article's headline. He admits there could be more movies after Indy 5, but he also flatly states the role of Indiana Jones would not be recast for them:

I think both in the ?Jason Bourne? series and on ?Indiana Jones,? we are not going to do the Bond thing. We think those characters are iconic, and those are the only actors who can play that.

I agree Disney will still want to continue the franchise long after Ford retires from the role. It just doesn't appear to be what anyone involved has planned for Indy 5 or the immediate future. If there was any doubt before that Indy 5 would pick up where KOTCS left off, Marshall has now confirmed that's exactly what it will be.

Indy Jones

At the end of the day, I don't know how much pull Ford, Marshall and Spielberg have on that front. Disney has the rights and I'm sure they can recast if they want to. All that will happen is those folks refuse to be involved in the next films.

curmudgeon

Hm.

Would they announce a reboot immediately after announcing a sequel?
Would they announce a reboot anytime before the release of that sequel?
Would they risk alienating the players they purposely brought together for a sequel they just announced, by unilaterally deciding to do something those players don't want to see?

Should the circular and unending discussion of something that might happen after Indy 5, but specifically and presently not happening with Indy 5, be moved into its own forum?

Udvarnoky

Indy Jones said:
At the end of the day, I don't know how much pull Ford, Marshall and Spielberg have on that front. Disney has the rights and I'm sure they can recast if they want to. All that will happen is those folks refuse to be involved in the next films.

Agreed. I trust what Marshall says about Indy 5, seeing how he's a producer on it and all. But when reboot time inevitably comes around, his input on it will be whatever the Mouse asks him to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.