Games with heavy Indiana Jones influences

|ZiR|

Growl is a beat-'em-up sidescroller that was released for Genesis in '91. You play as one of four wildlife rangers battling evil poachers in the early 20th century. Sounds unique, eh? Let's look at an advert for the game...

growl.jpg

Now, those of you with a sharp eye may have noticed that the man featured on the right bears a striking resemblance to Indiana Jones. So much so that it goes beyond coincidence. That's not the worst, though, as you'll see in the following screen caps I took.

GrowlW_001.jpg

Gen or Indy?

GrowlW_002.jpg

GrowlW_003.jpg

He can even get a whip!

GrowlW_006.jpg

GrowlW_008.jpg

GrowlW_009.jpg

Yep. Looks like it could be ToD game. I'd never seen mentioned here, so I just thought I'd share. Mildly interesting, no?

(*advert from hardcore gaming 101. But the rest o' the pics are all mine. :p)

Growl?

WTF? No, that's not what that's called... I have that game that's called... uh... gimme a minute...

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of a different game. I have both this and Earnest Evans. Both are REALLY awful Indy knock-offs for the Genesis.

|ZiR|

Earnest Evans... ?

!!!

earnestevans.jpg

Oh my goodness. It's so blatant. It's like they drawing the art for an Indy game but then changed the title at the last second.

Oh god... I just picked up Earnest Evans again for the first time in ages and.... guess what chases Indy... I mean Earnest after you steal the golden idol from the first temple....

....yeah, a giant boulder. And this game's a ***** on top of being a plagiarist. The control is totally unresponsive, the animation ugly and and the physics oblique and confusing.... At times Earnest can seemingly scale walls....

Edit.... the wall scaling seems to be a feature rather than a glitch. Really poorly implemented.

And I got a power-up whip a minute ago and it came with some headgear-- a fedora! :p

Yeah... then I died and got the game-over... whatever. Not worth your time, folks. Move on, nothing to see here. Train wreck and such...

Last edited:

metalinvader

Growl is friggin' hilarious.I have actually sat through that whole game.Friggin tedious game but for some odd reason I felt the need to finish it.

Screw Attack did a review on Growl..Check it out http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31945.html

I've never played Earnest Evans but I just downloaded the rom...I'm actually dreading it.:eek:

*edit*

Ok,After playing the first three levels I gotta say,I HATE Earnest Evans...Curse it!

Last edited:
metalinvader said:
Growl is friggin' hilarious.I have actually sat through that whole game.Friggin tedious game but for some odd reason I felt the need to finish it.

Screw Attack did a review on Growl..Check it out http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31945.html

I've never played Earnest Evans but I just downloaded the rom...I'm actually dreading it.:eek:

*edit*

Ok,After playing the first three levels I gotta say,I HATE Earnest Evans...Curse it!

Ahh, I love Screw Attack.

And yeah, I only got to level 3 before dying. It's an absolute monstrosity.

...though not as bad as Instruments of Chaos Starring Young Indiana Jones. WORST GAME EVER.

And I've beaten Instruments of Chaos... relying heavily on save states of course. UGH.

metalinvader

One of the worst aspects of Instruments of Chaos is the enemies...No I'm not talking about the Germans spies or the Arab swordmen..I mean the ****ing BIRDS! Seriously,In the India level it's damn near impossible to get the door open with out falling due to being hit by one of those freakin' birds! Gah!

Oh..and the first level of Egypt has got to be one of the most frustrating levels of all time.Friggin' sand storms!

In regards to Screw Attack,It just hasn't been the same since Tom and Liz left.Tom and Craig played off each other really well and Liz was damn hot.Damn shame they decided to leave.

Last edited:
metalinvader said:
One of the worst aspects of Instruments of Chaos is the enemies...No I'm not talking about the Germans spies or the Arab swordmen..I mean the ****ing BIRDS! Seriously,In the India level it's damn near impossible to get the door open with out falling due to being hit by one of those freakin' birds! Gah!

Oh..and the first level of Egypt has got to be one of the most frustrating levels of all time.Friggin' sand storms!

Agreed on all points.

And the goddamn lake is horrible. Either you misjudge the jump or a ****ing fish jumps up out of nowhere and knocks you into the water. UGH. Pain in the ass.

Or getting to the spy in that same level and being knocked ALL THE WAY OUT OF THE TOWER. It's happened to me. I've also been knocked down like 20 stories (and survived the fall... go figure) during the spy battle.

The whole game is a mess. Sloppiest thing ever.

The NES Young Indy game is much better but still not great. And way too damned hard. Don't bother roming it; every copy I've downloaded (and every emulator I've tried it on) freezes up during the second level. I do own the actual cartridge though.

metalinvader

The Young Indy NES game is damn hard.It wouldn't be to bad otherwise and hey,They do get some credit in my book for including Old Indy.(y)

I've never got past the second level in that game.Damn shame because the levels that take place in Europe sound really intriguing.

spiralout

metalinvader said:

*edit*

Wow, the guy's voice even sounds like Harrison. "You won't get away with this..."

fixer79

For some odd reason I had to think of 'The Adventures of Bayou Billy' on NES...

250px-Bayou_Billy_box.jpg

But he was more of a Crocodile Dundee rip-off...

fixer79 said:
For some odd reason I had to think of 'The Adventures of Bayou Billy' on NES...

250px-Bayou_Billy_box.jpg

But he was more of a Crocodile Dundee rip-off...

I just played that for the first time ever a few hours ago!

Yeah.. not so much an Indy knock-off. But it is just another generic side-scrolling brawler. Couldn't stand it.

RichardJones

OMG :eek:
I cant get over those sorry knock offs. You couldn't have games like that these days, you could get sued for saying Indiana and Jones in the same sentence...:whip:

metalinvader

crowmagnumman said:
I can't speak for their quality, but the cover art for Growl and Earnest Evans is awesome.

Believe me,The cover art for Earnest Evans doesn't represent the game at all...

Check out this page....Besides the few Indy inspired levels,The game is more like an awful Castlevania wannabe then Indy....

http://www.bogleech.com/sega-evans.html

Yesterday,I beat this awful game using 'stage skip' code...Terrible,Terrible game with a terrible ending...(n)

metalinvader said:
Yesterday,I beat this awful game using 'stage skip' code...Terrible,Terrible game with a terrible ending...(n)

You masochist.

Yeah, definitely a Castlevania rip... The whip too is more of a chain like in the Castlevania games. Ugh, just terrible. :(

metalinvader

Hey,It does feature one of the greatest power-ups in video game history...

The Sleeping Potion!!!

Seriously,What a great idea!Not only is it unavoidable,It's also in spots surrounded by enemies..:rolleyes:

The ending is just as great..It cuts right to the credits with a little movie of Earnest running from the boulder that seriously NEVER ENDS! He just keeps on running while said boulder keeps on chasing him.