Games with heavy Indiana Jones influences

metalinvader said:
Hey,It does feature one of the greatest power-ups in video game history...

The Sleeping Potion!!!

Seriously,What a great idea!Not only is it unavoidable,It's also in spots surrounded by enemies..:rolleyes:

The ending is just as great..It cuts right to the credits with a little movie of Earnest running from the boulder that seriously NEVER ENDS! He just keeps on running while said boulder keeps on chasing him.

Haha, yeah I got caught with the sleeping potion the other day. What the hell? I died before it wore off. I had all these enemies swarming over me and I couldn't move. Ugh. So stupid.

|ZiR|

ResidentAlien said:
Yeah, definitely a Castlevania rip... The whip too is more of a chain like in the Castlevania games. Ugh, just terrible. :(

Hey, let's be fair... no Castlevania was ever as bad as that.

crowmagnumman

metalinvader said:
Believe me,The cover art for Earnest Evans doesn't represent the game at all...

Check out this page....Besides the few Indy inspired levels,The game is more like an awful Castlevania wannabe then Indy....

http://www.bogleech.com/sega-evans.html

Yesterday,I beat this awful game using 'stage skip' code...Terrible,Terrible game with a terrible ending...(n)

Oh, I'm sure it sucks from what I've read here. But the one thing they did get right is the awesome cover art. The cover art for Growl is actually really awesome. (y) I'd put that on my wall or something.

dire51

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I had to because I absolutely love Growl. Not the Genesis port (which isn't terrible, but it's not that great either), but the original arcade game. Yes, it's a blatant Indy ripoff - I swear someone at Taito wanted to make an Indy arcade game but couldn't get the rights - but what makes it shine is the sheer WTF-ness of the whole game.

The Engrish is hilarious ("Get lost you wisp!"). The game throws tons of enemies at you at once, and your animal friends will deliver armaments to you or trample the enemies themselves. Hey, an elephant takes on a tank and wins! When you continue, a giant bed of spikes drops out of nowhere and crushes the enemies on the screen. It's just so over the top and ludicrous.

And the most out there moment of the entire game comes after you finish off the last boss' first form (looks like the Joker wearing a stylish top hat and coat with tails), and his body goes slithering across the screen and cracks open to reveal some kind of space caterpillar or something.

As fan as all the Indy ripping off is concerned, yeah, Gen looks just like Indy (as does one of the other guys), and you can get both a whip and revolver. But you also fight enemies that resemble the Thuggees and a whole mob of angry John Rhys-Davies cosplayers. Multicolored Sallahs ahoy!

Read more about it here: http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/growl/growl.htm

Also, here's my nickname for Growl (artwork from the arcade flyer):

growl_02.jpg

Regarding some of the other games listed here... yeah, Earnest Evans sucked. What a shame. I loved El Viento (which EE is the prequel to, at least for the Mega CD), but EE was just terrible. Not a shining moment in Wolf Team's history, that's for sure.

I love Montezuma's Revenge, especially the Sega Master System version. The 2600 version wasn't bad either. Haven't ever played Motezuma's Return, though. And does anyone here remember the hero's name?

Also - has anyone here ever heard of a Konami game for the Famicom Disk System called Almana no Kiseki, aka The Miracle of Almana? Think Indiana Jones meets an early Konami arcade game, Roc 'N Rope. It's not bad at all, but it can be damned frustrating. Check out the first link to see the Indyness of it:

http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/fds/almana.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almana_no_Kiseki

Crack that whip

dire51 said:
I love Montezuma's Revenge, especially the Sega Master System version. The 2600 version wasn't bad either. Haven't ever played Motezuma's Return, though. And does anyone here remember the hero's name?

Panama Joe! - er, that's the hero in the original Montezuma's Revenge, that is, not the belated sequel. I used to love that game, playing it on my Atari 800XL and on a friend's Apple IIe.

Interesting tidbit: the designer / programmer of Montezuma's Revenge made the game when he was just a teenager - 16, IIRC.
:eek:

Stoo

Bantu-Wind

Its not really as if Indiana Jones' look was at all original. If anybody should be offended, it should be Harry Steele! :)

1145532-L.jpg

James Byrne

Bantu-Wind said:
Its not really as if Indiana Jones' look was at all original. If anybody should be offended, it should be Harry Steele! :)

1145532-L.jpg

Whatever you do ... don't offend or annoy Harry Steele in any way ... he's one tough gringo!

Supernatural

Indy Rip Off Games

It was summer of '85 and I walked into a store to grab a soda. There were a couple of unmarked arcade games in the corner. I noticed one was an overhead game, like the first Zelda and it was obviously based on Indy. It featured a maze you would walk around and fight off monsters. Simular to Gauntlet. It looked like it had an Aztec theme. It was a no name Japanese game in one of those cabinets where they would just switch the board out to update the game inside. Because of that, I don't know a damn thing about the game. Not even the name. Did anyone else run into this game back in the day? It's been haunting me for years. It was the only place I ever saw it. I don't think I'll ever find out.

Anyone know?

You can talk about a game you've encountered that was an Indy rip off.

Stoo

Supernatural said:
Simular to Gauntlet. It looked like it had an Aztec theme.
I've never seen the game you're referring to but if it was anything like Gauntlet, it must have been a very, fun game!
InexorableTash said:
Is http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=13592 the canonical thread for games that were less than subtly inspired by Indy?
There's also one of my 1st threads: "Aztec" - Vintage 1982 Computer Game.

Along with Aztec, other early '80s, Indy-type games:

- Pitfall
- Jungle Boy (which was almost identical to Pitfall but with a Tarzan-type character)
- Tutankhamun
- Montezuma's Revenge (with Panama Joe)
- Pharaoh's Tomb (with Nevada Smith)

indyclone25

my son picked up the adventures of tin tin video game for the wii afew days ago and i could see that being a indiana jones game . i loved the gameplay and the graphics werent that bad . i wish the company that made tin tin would make a indiana jones game.

AnythingGoes

indyclone25 said:
my son picked up the adventures of tin tin video game for the wii afew days ago and i could see that being a indiana jones game . i loved the gameplay and the graphics werent that bad . i wish the company that made tin tin would make a indiana jones game.
Funnily enough, Spielberg directed Tintin! I saw it myself a few months ago, and thought it was just the spirit of Indy. I haven't played the game, but I suppose I will say the obvious not-IJ-but-like-IJ game: Lara Croft, Tomb Raider.
Discuss. ;)
:whip:

Finn

Staff member
AnythingGoes said:
I haven't played the game, but I suppose I will say the obvious not-IJ-but-like-IJ game: Lara Croft, Tomb Raider.
And I'm saying you really should have before you went and mentioned it.

Tomb Raider has no business within a topic that deals with ripoffs in the actual meaning of the word. When it came out, Tomb Raider was a highly original title that pretty much defined the 3D action-adventure genre for years to come. Sure, the story and setting deal with same high adventure themes our own Dr. Jones is eponymous with, but it's by no means fair to assume he should have exclusivity to the genre.

It's certainly true that the line between homage and blatant imitation is thin and sometimes very blurry, but Ms. Croft is definitely someone who stands on her own shapely legs with this issue.

In fact, if you look at Indy's most recent major forays into video gaming, you might even make an opposite argument. It's him who owes that existence to Lara.

Thugee

metalinvader said:
One of the worst aspects of Instruments of Chaos is the enemies...No I'm not talking about the Germans spies or the Arab swordmen..I mean the ****ing BIRDS! Seriously,In the India level it's damn near impossible to get the door open with out falling due to being hit by one of those freakin' birds! Gah!

Oh..and the first level of Egypt has got to be one of the most frustrating levels of all time.Friggin' sand storms!

In regards to Screw Attack,It just hasn't been the same since Tom and Liz left.Tom and Craig played off each other really well and Liz was damn hot.Damn shame they decided to leave.

I beat the actual cartridge game on the Sega Genesis. I don't really, honestly hate a lot of games (very few actually.) but this game infuriated me to the point that was contemplating to smash it into pieces and throw it out:dead: . But I didn't. So now it sits on my shelf with the rest of my games and it will stay there for the rest of time. I will never play it again....:mad: :mad: :mad: