Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Overthrow

Indy said:
Are they planning to release it this year or are they going to wait? I read earlier that it was supposed to come out at the end of this year but I know that they originally planned it for 2007 to coincide with the release of Indy IV. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't know ANYTHING for sure, but if LucasArts does their normal routine, then yeah, this is very likely going to be a 2007 release. I don't think they've even made it public knowledge if the team developing the game is entirely in house, or if they're working with another company to make aspects of the game like they've done with Pandemic and Factor Five. Over the years, LucasArts has become less and less of a game developer and more and more of a game publisher. So knowing that will definitely make their schedule easier to guess at.

What was shown last year of the Indiana Jones game was also super early, probably running on beta pre-release next generation hardware like the X-Box Next dev kit that circulated for about a year until six months before the 360's launch. So what we've already seen of the game probably doesn't exist any more. Seeing how they've rebuilt is going to also be very telling - whether this game is going to focus on beautiful graphics, or freedom of movement in an open environment, or just complicated level and puzzle design.

Ah. I can't wait for E3. LucasArts is going to have all sorts of nifty new surprises for us.

JerryKing

It would be sad not to hear Doug Lee again and instead get a bored voice of Ford thinking "Hey, a whole film's wage for sitting and talking for three hours", only so that the publisher can advertise "Hey, HEY! This game has a disembodied Harrison Ford in it! Hey! HARRISON FORD! Buy it, schmuck! Harrison Ford! Buy the Special (TM) Collector's (TM) Limited (TM) Edition (TM), too!".

The whole current buzz around the game - they don't even have a vague draft of a treatment yet, but they're already assuring "big Hollywood presence" - seems to indicate that it will be treated as a shiny publicity gimmick, with such matters as a story relegated to the "Who Cares" section...

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Doug Lee wasn't Indy's voice in ET, David Esch was. Lee was in FoA and IM. Read the previous posts.

IndyBuff

The one thing that does disappoint me is the fact that it will probably be on the next-generation systems. I was hoping they would release it for the PS2 as well because I really don't want to spend $300 on a new system just to play the game. I'm sure it would be worth it but I'll also be moving out into the college dorms later this year and I doubt I'll have the time or space to hook something like that up.

I was really hoping that the current systems would get one last Indy game.

Overthrow

The official word from LucasArts is both that it's "NextGen" and "platform to be announced," according to their early E3 information. There may still yet be hope for a version with crappy graphics gracing your inferior pile of Sony technology. ;)

Seriously, though, I can NOT wait for E3. I think I've been more excited about the video games than I've been for the movies. Just a few more weeks...

IndyBuff

Overthrow said:
The official word from LucasArts is both that it's "NextGen" and "platform to be announced," according to their early E3 information. There may still yet be hope for a version with crappy graphics gracing your inferior pile of Sony technology. ;)

Seriously, though, I can NOT wait for E3. I think I've been more excited about the video games than I've been for the movies. Just a few more weeks...

Hey, at this point I'd just like to see them start releasing Indy games on Nintendo platforms too. I bought a PS2 to play games like Emperor's Tomb and Battlefront because the Gamecube kept getting overlooked, so now I own both systems. I think I'll wait and see what systems this game is released for before I make a decision.

Nevertheless, I'm very excited to see what they come up with this year.:whip:

Katarn07

Indy said:
Gamecube kept getting overlooked

Video stores neglect it more than the publishers do. They carry one of each title (if all the titles) whereas the XBOX has a couple and the PS2 even more than that. They also choose to stock PSP games, but where are all the DS games at? I'd like a Revolution, but I know it'll get overlooked. I'll probably get an X360 eventually after a couple price drops.

Overthrow

Katarn07 said:
Video stores neglect it more than the publishers do. They carry one of each title (if all the titles) whereas the XBOX has a couple and the PS2 even more than that. They also choose to stock PSP games, but where are all the DS games at? I'd like a Revolution, but I know it'll get overlooked. I'll probably get an X360 eventually after a couple price drops.

Actually, most of Revolution's games will be distributed by download onto a hard drive, if I understand correctly. Game stores are getting entirely cut out of the deal. That will make for less expensive games that are more easily available to the public. I could be wrong, I haven't looked into the Rev in a couple months.

IndyBuff

Overthrow said:
Actually, most of Revolution's games will be distributed by download onto a hard drive, if I understand correctly. Game stores are getting entirely cut out of the deal. That will make for less expensive games that are more easily available to the public. I could be wrong, I haven't looked into the Rev in a couple months.

The Revolution will provide an online service that allows you to download past NES, SNES, and N64 games. It will also be backward-compatiable with Gamecube discs.

I think the entire idea is very exciting and I can't wait to learn more about it.:)

Tennessee R

Maybe I'll start working on my petition again soon, if we don't get any official word about it.
2003 to 2006 or 2007 is just too long.

Katarn07

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/702/702423p1.html

I haven't even read this yet. I just wanted to be first to post it. It doesn't say much about the game itself, but it is about the game and a quite exciting prospect too. Probably the coolest thing in video game physics since the ragdoll effect.

Also:

While Indiana Jones won't release until next year

Not news to me. I heard that way back when the press release came out last year. And this whole engine means it's definately next gen only and possibly PC.

Last edited:

IndyBuff

Thanks for the update Katarn. I'm disappointed that I'll probably have to put down quite a bit of money on a new system to play the game but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.:)

San Holo

E3 is right around the corner. May 10th or earlier, we should start seeing some clips of the new game. The euphoria game engine sounds like it is going to be friggin' sweet.

IndyBuff

San Holo said:
As much as I want to see Indy 4..., I may be more excited about this game.:whip:

At this point the odds are better of seeing this game than the film itself.;)

I'm excited about it too and hopefully some more news will surface soon. The physics engine sounds like it's going to be incredible.

San Holo

Indy said:
At this point the odds are better of seeing this game than the film itself.;)

I'm excited about it too and hopefully some more news will surface soon. The physics engine sounds like it's going to be incredible.
1939 is an awesome time. I wonder who the "familiar faces and old rival" will be.

IndyBuff

San Holo said:
1939 is an awesome time. I wonder who the "familiar faces and old rival" will be.

I'm curious about that too and it sounds like they'll definately be working within the Indy timeline to keep things in balance. My only disappointment is that once again Nintendo's console is being overlooked for this game. The Wii controller could add a whole new feel to this game. Just imagine swinging Indy's whip or punching enemies with the controller. There is some awesome potential there but unfortunately we'll never know now.:mad:

Vlad Dracula

The trailer wasn't very good but the actual game footage looked pretty good. They really didn't show enough of the game.

IndyBuff

Thanks for the update Gilles! So far everything looks amazing and the Euphoria game engine sounds like it's more than just hype, which I'm very happy to see. I can't wait to see more of this game but so far it looks very promising.:whip: