Lego Indiana Jones Demo for PCa vailavb

Deckard

As you may or may not know, Lucasarts just released the demo for the upcoming PC version of Lego Indiana Jones. And having just played through it, I can say I am more then a little dissapointed.

Now you should download the demo and give it a go, but heres what I have found to be wrong with it.

For starters, the controls are odd to say the least but you'll get use to them quickly enough. At this point there isn't any widescreen support, hopefully this will change along w/ a few other grapic details before the release.

Where the trouble starts for me, is that for a game aiming to recreate the original adventures they fail in some regards. Again an issue w/ control but still an important one is Indy's jumping ability w/ edges and how if you misjudge a jump during say the boulder scene even slightly your toast and starting from the beginning. This would be fine except there are times where your jump is blocked by Satipo who is quicker then you and in the lead.

Satipo also created problems near cliff edges or bridges, I found myself constantly having to switch players to move him out of the way or he'd send my character off course and plummiting to his death like a lego lemming. There are certain issues for me as well with the universe. Why do I want to go 2 mintues out of my way and build a bridge for a few round little bricks that don't do anything for me?

I found myself asking why I was fighting giant tarantulas like something out of Lord of the Rings, or why Belloq was doing the robot dance, why was Jock running with me? In fact I wasn't running I was fighting hovitos while I looked for a wrench? What the hell scene did I miss in Raiders? Look I understand you have to include things to make the game longer but w/ that scene wasn't there enough action? I was expecting to find myself running through the jungle dodging spears and arrows and then swinging onto Jock's plane, instead I was doing maitnence and looking for a wrench, firing a bow and arrow. It took me right out of the game and I was not having fun.

Sorry Lego, no dice, Im passing. I can only hope the other Indy game turns out better.

Btw, I dunno what happened to the title of this thread, can a mod fix that for me...

Deckard

I am relaxed, I just wrote my review, what do work for lego or something?

Also why is it "for kids"? I've played PC games for a loong loong time, and this is not upto par.

You know what kids are playing bro? GTA 4 and Call of Duty 4. This doesn't come close to stacking up and if they can't make a few gameplay changes its not going to do well w/ the core fan base either.

spiralout said:
It's a game for kids, relax.

So its ok for it to be subpar? Hey, these toys are for kids, lets use lead based paints, they won't care, Hey, these Indy action figures are for kids, screw good paint apps, they won't care. You draw a line and make a differance, Companies listen. Why do you think the new waves of Indy figures have better paint apps...

Learn to be critical people... not everything is perfect and its ok to point it out.

Deckard

I have all the Indy legos and Im 22, a helicopter pilot, w/ a girlfriend and car payments, so am I too old to buy this game?

Its not an arguement your making, its an excuse and a poor one.

Companies release demos for feedback so they can change things, I don't think lego said to themselves, hey lets put up a demo for the 4 yr olds to log on to the internet, download, and install, if you can do all that your not "That young".

Are they making it for the kids so young they don't know who or what Indiana Jones is?

spiralout

No. I played the demo too. Complaining that there are giant spiders and inaccuracies in the story, is like complaining that the characters are giant plastic blocks with painted on faces.

Nurhachi1991

Deckard said:
As you may or may not know, Lucasarts just released the demo for the upcoming PC version of Lego Indiana Jones. And having just played through it, I can say I am more then a little dissapointed.

Now you should download the demo and give it a go, but heres what I have found to be wrong with it.

For starters, the controls are odd to say the least but you'll get use to them quickly enough. At this point there isn't any widescreen support, hopefully this will change along w/ a few other grapic details before the release.

Where the trouble starts for me, is that for a game aiming to recreate the original adventures they fail in some regards. Again an issue w/ control but still an important one is Indy's jumping ability w/ edges and how if you misjudge a jump during say the boulder scene even slightly your toast and starting from the beginning. This would be fine except there are times where your jump is blocked by Satipo who is quicker then you and in the lead.

Satipo also created problems near cliff edges or bridges, I found myself constantly having to switch players to move him out of the way or he'd send my character off course and plummiting to his death like a lego lemming. There are certain issues for me as well with the universe. Why do I want to go 2 mintues out of my way and build a bridge for a few round little bricks that don't do anything for me?

I found myself asking why I was fighting giant tarantulas like something out of Lord of the Rings, or why Belloq was doing the robot dance, why was Jock running with me? In fact I wasn't running I was fighting hovitos while I looked for a wrench? What the hell scene did I miss in Raiders? Look I understand you have to include things to make the game longer but w/ that scene wasn't there enough action? I was expecting to find myself running through the jungle dodging spears and arrows and then swinging onto Jock's plane, instead I was doing maitnence and looking for a wrench, firing a bow and arrow. It took me right out of the game and I was not having fun.

Sorry Lego, no dice, Im passing. I can only hope the other Indy game turns out better.

Btw, I dunno what happened to the title of this thread, can a mod fix that for me...

I agree 100% with you man. I know the game is for kids but for godsake recreate the scenes right! Would it of killed lego to make Satipo die......... No because 1st off its a ******* hunk of plastic how could killing him be violent? The scene should of been the Hovitos chasing you and throwing spears as you dash to Jocks plane

I hope this is just a demo and not the final product

Nurhachi1991

And the Idol grab part I mean come on there not even trying anymore.......... I was hoping to be steping over the tiles and not getting killed by a dart

Not jumping around on a big ass revolving stone platform

Deckard

I Died about 5-6 times in the demo, but you can't kill Satpio? I can die but its not ok for others to die. Just stupid. What message do you send kids w/ that, hey kids other people don't die, they break into pieces and can be reassembled. Isn't that more damaging to a kid then explaining people can be hurt. If he understands that hes less likely to hurt someone, If he thinks he can push a friend off a tall building and he just pops into a few lego pieces tho, thats when im getting worried.

And I don't want violence or anything, but would it have killed them to kill Satipo and have him fall into a pile of bricks?

Nurhachi1991

Exactly I mean they could of showed the boulder run over Satipo and flatten him like a pancake I could care less how they kill him I want him dead....... Also where the hell was Barranca? I was expecting him to pull out a lego gun and try to kill Indy.

Don't get me wrong I loved Lego Star Wars maybe because I do not like it as much as Indy. But they need to do better on this game. Have you seen the TOD footage? The heart rip was not even there

Deckard

spiralout said:
No. I played the demo too. Complaining that there are giant spiders and inaccuracies in the story, is like complaining that the characters are giant plastic blocks with painted on faces.

No it really isn't even close, Im complaining that they didn't need to deviate as much as they did.

Of course I expected legos, but I also expected a fun exciting and compelling game, instad I found myself turning around to see what was on TV, or just asking what the hell I was looking for a wrench for, instead I turned off the game and fired up Call of Duty 4.

I wanted to play as Indy, I feel like they didn't accomplish that.

Hey man, I'll slap a sticky note w. Indiana Jones on an old copy of the Legend of Zelda for Super Nintendo and sell it you for $50. Interested? I say its Indiana Jones so it must be. Don't worry about the guy named Link or the green costume, its for kids.

Deckard

Nurhachi1991 said:
Exactly I mean they could of showed the boulder run over Satipo and flatten him like a pancake I could care less how they kill him I want him dead....... Also where the hell was Barranca? I was expecting him to pull out a lego gun and try to kill Indy.

Don't get me wrong I loved Lego Star Wars maybe because I do not like it as much as Indy. But they need to do better on this game. Have you seen the TOD footage? The heart rip was not even there

Apparently Lego people don't try to kill each other, except hovitos they'll kill you because belloq said so, or the spike traps and boulders they kill you. But Barranca can't just pull a gun?

And Satipo can't die, hes got...a.... shovel??

spiralout

Have you played Lego Star Wars? I think you're completely misunderstanding the style and intent of the game.

Deckard

spiralout said:
Have you played Lego Star Wars? I think you're completely misunderstanding the style and intent of the game.

Yes, I didn't enjoy it much as it suffered from many the same problems, apparently lego doesn't learn from mistakes.

Maybe Im spoiled, because I play games like Call of Duty and Battlefield or Bioshock and Half Life, Games with awesome stories that immerse me into the characters and understand that there is alot more to a game then getting from a to b. Thats all lego Indy is get from here to there. There aren't options, only one way to opena door for example, you go way out of your way for legos bricks that do nothing and give you nothing at all so thats a waste. And it isn't entertaining, w/ cutscenes every 2-3 mins it isn't immersive, and its got gameplay control issues to boot, It's just a bad game, I understand you want to like it, you want it to sucees its Indy, but It isn't. It's missing certain elements to make it work, it doesn't flow, and they need to address those issues if they want the game to do well. It doesn't have to be the exact same thing as the movie, but right now, what they have, isn't working for me.

spiralout

Lego Star Wars sold extremely well and was well received and well reviewed. http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/legostarwars2theoriginaltrilogy?q=lego star wars

Lego Indy is in the exact same style. It isn't meant for the critical movie fans. Most people don't even know who Sapito is. It's a casual, fun game. I don't know why you keep bringing up mature games like Call Of Duty. It's like comparing Saving Private Ryan to Toy Story. Both good, but in completely different leagues.

Deckard

spiralout said:
Lego Star Wars sold extremely well and was well received and well reviewed. http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/legostarwars2theoriginaltrilogy?q=lego star wars

Lego Indy is in the exact same style. It isn't meant for the critical movie fans. Most people don't even know who Sapito is. It's a casual, fun game. I don't know why you keep bringing up mature games like Call Of Duty. It's like comparing Saving Private Ryan to Toy Story. Both good, but in completely different leagues.

Ya but Satipo isn't by big issue, its the deviation from running through a jungle from natives, arguably one of the most well known Indy scenes, and distorting into looking for a wrench. Its gameplay mechanic issues, problems w/ where the characters stand and camera angles.

I dont understand, all games are casual and fun... I want to be immersed into the game I play, otherwise im just sitting in my room on a keyboard. I can drift off for hours in the world of GTA4. Thats why I bring it up. Why the hell would I pay $50 for something calling itself Indiana Jones that, simply put, isn't, when I can buy that Call of Duty or GTA game for the same price, if not cheaper then Lego Indy and have way more hours of way more fun. The only reason right now I'd but this game is a collector's item to keep in the package and have on a shelf. Thats not a testament to the developers.

When I saw Toy Story and Saving Private Ryan, they were differant but the first time I saw them, both had my attention all the same, both surprised and immersed me, made me care. This game does nothing new, and when you don't take chances you aren't rewarded.

Vance

Mistake?

Christ, Dekard, most game companies would dream of making mistakes like that.

Obviously, you and Nuriachi were expecting a 'pure' Indiana Jones (and, also, Star Wars) experience from a fargin' Lego game. That said, there's no way in hell that either of you would be satisfied with them. Both of your reponses and 'reviews' can be chalked up to 'It's LEGOverse, therefore I hate it.'

Deckard

Vance said:
Mistake?

Christ, Dekard, most game companies would dream of making mistakes like that.

Obviously, you and Nuriachi were expecting a 'pure' Indiana Jones (and, also, Star Wars) experience from a fargin' Lego game. That said, there's no way in hell that either of you would be satisfied with them. Both of your reponses and 'reviews' can be chalked up to 'It's LEGOverse, therefore I hate it.'

You couldnt be more wrong, Dude All I wanted was something fun in Indy style no **** it was legos. No **** they don't bleed or talk, but when YOu already have the Star Wars engine and don't need to spend a year building the game, you would think that time would go to fine tuning and fixing glitches, obviously you and Spiral are easily satisfied by crappy subpar games, why not just buy a 50 in 1 cartrige for your Super Nintendo for $2. You'll get a lot more funner games.

My big issue is Not for the 50th ****ING time IS NOT w/ everything not being just like the movie. Its poor controls, non immersive gameplay, too many glitches and cut scenes.

Nurhachi1991

No What we are expecting is a good Indy game thats fun to play and pleases fans well thats what I want anyway. If you want to get technical most kids could care less about Indiana Jones so why does the game have to cater to them? Why can't it cater to die hard fans and kids?

Deckard do you have a Xbox-360? If so pm me your gamer tag

spiralout

Deckard said:
Ya but Satipo isn't by big issue, its the deviation from running through a jungle from natives, arguably one of the most well known Indy scenes, and distorting into looking for a wrench. Its gameplay mechanic issues, problems w/ where the characters stand and camera angles.

I dont understand, all games are casual and fun... I want to be immersed into the game I play, otherwise im just sitting in my room on a keyboard. I can drift off for hours in the world of GTA4. Thats why I bring it up. Why the hell would I pay $50 for something calling itself Indiana Jones that, simply put, isn't, when I can buy that Call of Duty or GTA game for the same price, if not cheaper then Lego Indy and have way more hours of way more fun. The only reason right now I'd but this game is a collector's item to keep in the package and have on a shelf. Thats not a testament to the developers.

When I saw Toy Story and Saving Private Ryan, they were differant but the first time I saw them, both had my attention all the same, both surprised and immersed me, made me care. This game does nothing new, and when you don't take chances you aren't rewarded.

The aim of the Lego games is certainly not immersion, and all games are certainly not casual. That's why your comparison to those games fail. Did you get immersed into the universe of games like Mario and Tetris, or was it just for the fun of the game? The Lego games are simply not meant to be taken seriously. That's part of the appeal that's lost on you.