Lego Indiana Jones Demo for PCa vailavb

Nurhachi1991

Look at Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures a game made for kids......... Well it was more movie accurate than Lego Indiana Jones and that was only a 16-bit game. Even the cut scenes were better and it was nothing but text not to mention it had Nazis and they even attempted to put in the Swastika...... It is very rare for an Indy game to come out so I was expecting better. Just like everything Deckard said the controls are god afwul, its not immersive ect....

Deckard

spiralout said:
The aim of the Lego games is certainly not immersion, and all games are certainly not casual. That's why your comparison to those games fail. Did you get immersed into the universe of games like Mario and Tetris, or was it just for the fun of the game? The Lego games are simply not meant to be taken seriously. That's part of the appeal that's lost on you.

Dude, I dunno what to tell you, the game sucks. Im taking it seriously to analyze the fact that it sucks and I don't think they deserve to charge $50 for what is at best a sequel or mod and not a stand alone game.

I dont get Lego Indy huh?

0196.jpg

Thats the front of my computer guys, I went into the game knowing exactly what to expect and was let down by poor controls and poor gameplay.

Your excuses are downright retarded. I know what makes a good game and what doesn't I have been payed money to play in tournaments on pro teams for Counter Strike and Battlefield, I beta tested more games then you have probably played and given the devs feedback on what works and what doesn't. This game is far from being finsihed and needs alot of work plain and simple.

Deckard

No, no xbox or 360, only PC for me. I played in Counter Strike tournaments for money through source and was actually payed monthly to play Battlefield 2 for a team. Also did Beta on a number of games, most notably for the original CounterStrike, or at least that was my favorite.

I still do a little custom skinning and model rendering for Counterstrike maps models and weapons.

spiralout

My excuses are retarded? You say the game is unfinished, but most of your complaints aren't technical. Your only technical complaint was that Sapito got in your way. I never had that problem. You say the game is at best a sequel. Well, it practically is. Your complaint that the game costs $50 is irrelevant to the quality of the game. Especially since the price of these games plummet quickly. I don't care that you play in tournaments. That sort of bolstering is also irrelevant.

So, how was Spiderman 3? :rolleyes:

Deckard

Your arguement is its for kids so it can be subpar, thats retarded.

I referance say Call Of Duty 4 because it is the cream of the crop atm, whichmeans it is Lego's competion.

Have you ever made a game? Im guessing no so let me explain to you something. They want to sell this to anyone who plays computer games not kids. That should be clear enough from the name Indian Jones, which most kids won't know. That means they have to stack up to games that are out like Bioshock. This game doesn't come close. And from the Dev team standpoint this is a problem as it is going to affect sales.

"Kids" don't play "kids games" they play Grand Theft Auto 4. If you want to get them away from that you have to make a better or good enough game, this is neither.

I bring up my past experiance not to bolster, bcuz for about 6 years now, I have done Beta testing, which means b4 the game comes out they send me the beta or sometimes even the alpha build and ask me what I think should be tweaked. I feel because of this I have the right to bring up these problmes in this game.

And Spiderman 3 sucked because it suffered....wait for it...did you guess? It suffered control issues do to a bad port from the xbox to the pc and that killed the sales which killed the game.

W/ the price issue, a sequel that is not a full sequel is typically released as a mod or map pack typically ranging from $10-$30, not $50 for PC, $60 for X360 etc. And w/ things like Steam or EA Downloader to contend w/ its even tougher.

I'll come right out and tell you I'd sooner steal this game online then buy it. But I won't even do that because it isn't worth it.

Btw, do you know alot of young kids that know Indiana Jones, and also can afford $60 for a game? I don't.

Last edited:

spiralout

You have NO idea how the market works. Especially on PC. Childrens games do not compete directly against mature games, casual games do not compete directly with hardcore games, and contrary to what you and conservative pundits say, children are not the main buyers of games like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty. They play them, sure, but they're certainly not the ones buying them the most. If your claims that games that are marketed solely towards children don't sell well is true, then how do games like Harry Potter top the NPD charts every time they're released?

Deckard said:
W/ the price issue, a sequel that is not a full sequel is typically released as a mod or map pack typically ranging from $10-$30, not $50 for PC, $60 for X360 etc. And w/ things like Steam or EA Downloader to contend w/ its even tougher.

How is it not a full sequel? It covers all three movies.

Deckard

Every Harry Potter game is utter garbage and does well because of being connected to the name Harry Potter.

Thats not what I want for Indy but I guess you dont care. Its a shame.

In 50 years there won't be anything left of quality just quantity and explotation of something people like. Enjoy the ****ty game, like I said, if you have any real sense, you'll pass and get something better.

Im done arguing w/ someone who clearly doesn't have a full understanding of all the differant elements of building a game, modeling skinning, animation, all these elements have to jive to lead to a bug free problem free game and its not happening here.

Its a port and a poor one the likes of Rainbow Six Vegas and when it fails miserably on PC remember I told ya so.

Nurhachi1991

Stop defending this game it fails in everyway possible............. That is coming from the gamer part of me. The Indy fan will rent it just because it is Indy

spiralout

You're not telling me anything I don't know. In fact, I'll take System Shock 2 to Bioshock, and the original Call of Duty to Call of Duty 4. But that doesn't mean I can't play a game just because I think it's fun. It won't be the end of the industry.

Deckard

spiralout said:
You're not telling me anything I don't know. In fact, I'll take System Shock 2 to Bioshock, and the original Call of Duty to Call of Duty 4. But that doesn't mean I can't play a game just because I think it's fun. It won't be the end of the industry.

Of course not but it will be the end of the game, and I apologise as you do clearly have some sense to recognise SS2.

But w/ saying that Im surprised you don't also recognise the failures and problems of a Port or lineare gameplay. If they had built one just for PC i'd buy it and it'd probably be smooth despite the story inaccuracies but here it isn't even trying a little its exploiting one more console.

They could have easily spent time saved from a port and not rebuild, to make the story more accurate to the movie, but instead we get something that is and feels rushed so they can get it out in time for the movie and exploit the stir from it.

Just another wasted opputunity, which is seeming more and more common w. Indy now. I miss 2 months ago b4 all the mindless **** w/ Indiana Jones branded on its ass.

Last edited:

spiralout

Well, you're bringing up technical points that do actually have merit now. You should have done that in the first place. I'm a big Rainbow Six fan. Vegas was a bad port. It was horribly optimized and it had a terrible chat interface in multiplayer with no voice chat. Those are valid criticisms of a serious game.

The Lego games are mostly console-friendly games. I'll admit any PC game that has you press a button to get to the main menu upon startup is probably a bad port. The environmental textures can look pretty bad at times, especially outdoors. I think the character models and animations are fine. (is that Phong Shading applied to Sapito's hair?)

I'm not saying this is Game of the Year material. I'm saying that you can excuse some of the shortcomings for the charm of the game.

Dust McAlan

Deckard said:
Of course not but it will be the end of the game, and I apologise as you do clearly have some sense to recognise SS2.

But w/ saying that Im surprised you don't also recognise the failures and problems of a Port or lineare gameplay. If they had built one just for PC i'd buy it and it'd probably be smooth despite the story inaccuracies but here it isn't even trying a little its exploiting one more console.

They could have easily spent time saved from a port and not rebuild, to make the story more accurate to the movie, but instead we get something that is and feels rushed so they can get it out in time for the movie and exploit the stir from it.

Just another wasted opputunity, which is seeming more and more common w. Indy now. I miss 2 months ago b4 all the mindless **** w/ Indiana Jones branded on its ass.
You know who disagrees with you?

My five year old son who's having a blast playing the demo.

Look, the game is utterly charming. It's not the next leap in the evolution of gaming (Half-Life 2), nor is it the benchmark for which all kids games ought to be judged by (Super Mario Galaxy) but it's charming as hell. It's an Indiana Jones adventure using LEGO as inspiration, adapting the film story into a much more kid-friendly atmosphere. The part early on where the Hovitos shakes their heads at the guide who fell down a hole without looking was priceless, as was LEGO Satipo's reaction to the poison dart. This isn't about being 100% faithful to the film; if it were, the opening would be boring as hell until you got to the temple.

The controls were fine, great keyboard support. Actually one of the few PC games with great in-house keyboard controls from the word go. I didn't even have to customize the controls to make it feel better and more intuitive. Camera works well, AI wasn't the smartest, but neither was it completely stupid. What works best about the game is the atmosphere, and it's charmingly dripping with Indy running and jumping. That's the point of the game, really---to be a platforming LEGO Indy game.

Did we play the same demo?

Nurhachi1991

So kids are going to grow up to be wimps? Thiking that the Indy movies are really funny and nice and when they watch them and see Satipos's bloody corpse with an arrow through his skull than they will go nuts and start crying and not want to watch another Indy film............ Thanks to Lego Indiana Jones

Deckard

spiralout said:
Well, you're bringing up technical points that do actually have merit now. You should have done that in the first place. I'm a big Rainbow Six fan. Vegas was a bad port. It was horribly optimized and it had a terrible chat interface in multiplayer with no voice chat. Those are valid criticisms of a serious game.

The Lego games are mostly console-friendly games. I'll admit any PC game that has you press a button to get to the main menu upon startup is probably a bad port. The environmental textures can look pretty bad at times, especially outdoors. I think the character models and animations are fine. (is that Phong Shading applied to Sapito's hair?)

I'm not saying this is Game of the Year material. I'm saying that you can excuse some of the shortcomings for the charm of the game.

Charming? maybe a little but the Port will be big problems upon release I know it, I've seen it so many times b4. Thats why Im concerned.

Dust McAlan like I said, to deviate from what would have already been a good action sequence bothers me a bit. Not that every line has to be dead on. But the Hovitos Chase being turned into me looking for a wrench is something I won't excuse.

Btw does your 5 yr old son have a comprehensive knowledge of what a port is? Or does he have $50 to throw around for a copy of the game?

My advice to you guys looking to buy this for your kids is go for it but not on PC, get an xbox or Playstation version, the game was designed for those consoles and ported to the PC, poorly to say the least.

Last edited:

Dust McAlan

Deckard said:
Dust McAlan like I said, to deviate from what would have already been a good action sequence bothers me a bit. Not that every line has to be dead on. But the Hovitos Chase being turned into me looking for a wrench is something I won't excuse.

Btw does your 5 yr old son have a comprehensive knowledge of what a port is? Or does he have $50 to throw around for a copy of the game?
Wow. Thank god you're not the target audience for this game. You're more the kind of gamer who'd be more at home with Staff of Kings (whenever that releases) as opposed to a kid-friendly game that positively drips with Indy essence but is fun, charming, and loaded with extras.

As far as my son's knowledge of what a port is or isn't, the simple fact that he was able to (A) play the game and (B) enjoy it means that your arguments are pretty much null and void. There's nothing wrong with the controls, the game engine, or the port itself. I played the whole demo through to completion without a problem, made it through the rolling boulder sequence without a problem, and didn't encounter any of the same problems you had. And as far as the Hovitos chase---why do you care so much? The filmed version still exists and it made none the worse by this innocent, charming video game. Right now you're complaining just to complain it seems.

Nurachi1991 said:
So kids are going to grow up to be wimps? Thiking that the Indy movies are really funny and nice and when they watch them and see Satipos's bloody corpse with an arrow through his skull than they will go nuts and start crying and not want to watch another Indy film............ Thanks to Lego Indiana Jones
You made me lol with your ignorance. You obviously don't have kids, do you?

Merkel

I played the demo and I thought is was absolutely charming. No problem with the controls and got through the boulder sequence in one go.

It's just so much fun. And it even used JW's original scores. I highly recommend this game, as I recommend the former Star Wars Lego titles.

Romão, who has worked for LEGO

Snakes

I really don't think LEGO is even trying to be remotely like Half Life or Bioshock. Both of those are dramatic, immersive, and story driven (and awesome), the LEGO games are light and comedic, not to be taken too seriously. This doesn't mean they shouldn't try to be good games though. Since they are LEGO games, I don't worry about film accuracy. As long as it loosely follows the films, I'm fine with it. I don't really think the LEGO games are for everyone, so I understand it when people dislike them.

Deckard

I didn't say it needs to try and be one of those games, but those are games that are out and selling well thats its going to have to compete with. There are plenty of older people who wanted this game like me, and when they play it, could end up dissapointed.

And Dusty Im complaining to complain? Thats one of the dumbest things I've heard, I made my arguement of whats wrong with it, hopefullt They will address some of these issues. Im glad you base alot of your life and desicions on what your 5 year old likes sort of like the guys over at AICN, but I like to make my own decisions and I feel the game just doesn't live up to Indy, or other games for that matter.

If you want to buy it, I already said go for it, at this point, unless I hear they made some changes Im not.

I am done paying for ports that end up being subpar, when devs start giving PCs and Consoles seperate attention is when I get interested in the game. No matter what genre or the gameplay is.

Vance

Well, since you both have decided to start personally attacking people...

Deckard, you're obviously not the target audience for this game. You clearly don't get the concept of a Lego game (which is what I meant earlier), which is to be 'kid-friendly', have light humor, and just goof-off. You say you understand this, but you're constantly bringing up games that are targeted for college boys rather than something played by kids in their single-years.

Yes, Deckard, you appear to be complaining for the sake of it. Honestly, no one here has any idea what you were expecting, and your experiences with 'terrible control issues', etc, weren't experienced by me, or - really - pretty much anyone else who has spoken up. Again, I don't know what you were expecting... Lego is not a brand targeted for college-ages and up.

As for Nurachi, he doesn't have kids, 'cause he still is one. And, from the looks of his 'complaints', his biggest problem is that he's too 'mature' (in the teenage-angsty sense of the word) to enjoy the game. It's just not 'kewl' enough, hence his comparisons. He wants GTA4, and games like that... then why the hell is he looking at Lego.

Neither of you guys I can take all that seriously in a review.