Infernal Machine

Col. Detritch

My God! I just finished Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and its great! I love the use of the Soviets and then Tuner at the end, the return of Sophia and just the whole story all together.(y) So after finishing it I was anxious to find out how other Indy Fans felt about it, so feel free to post your personal thoughts and feeling on IM:gun:

Gabeed

Infernal machine is AWESOME. I played it when I was a kid, and I loved it. The levels are my favorite part--they're gigantic, and have cool artwork depicted on the various columns and whatnot. The music is also amazing. For the most part it is quiet, which is fine, but then you whip across a crevice in Shambala, or you enter a creepy part of Teotihuacan, and a little tune starts up that just fits perfectly. The puzzles were great too . . .it took me FOREVER to figure out to use the propeller blade on the underwater doors in the Palawan Lagoon. That and other puzzles warmly reminded me of the puzzles from Fate of Atlantis.

Of course, the combat blows . . .but I'm willing to forgive that for the things mentioned above. I actually think Emperor's Tomb was a lot worse. The combat was fun, but everything else was awful--you had no idea where the story was going (why go to Prague? Some context was necessary there), and the levels were kinda stupid and lacked the atmosphere of its predecessor (barring the first couple levels of Istanbul and Sri Lanka). Oh, and the puzzles were awful--the only one that was remotely interesting was the one with the clock in Prague, but it was rather easy, and not very Indiana Jones-y.

The Tingler

Unfortunately not, no. That would require a degree of marketing initiative and common sense that LucasArts haven't possessed for a good few years now. It's not even possible to play it with an emulator on PC.

Col. Detritch

Dam. It would have rocked to have played this on a console.
I love the story, its imagnitive, funny at times and Indyesque. Thats probably because they think hard on these things and thats why there aren't too many games, as aposed to some of the Bond games which are rip-offs of the films and poorly constructed. Note I said 'some' I don't mean all or the film adaptions.

There is great reply value to. If only I could. How do you reply levels on the game. Do I just load them and then save, or does that just over write my file?

Anyway awsome and sould definatly be remarstered and released on the new, next gen consoles:hat:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
bigdaddygamer14 said:
This game is actually somewhat rare now, I always look for it at The Exchange but it's not there.

There's some used copies on Amazon, at the very least, that come up at prices that (at less than $10) don't offer much financial risk should the disk turn out to be faulty.

Grizzlor

You can get the N64 cartridge for around $18 on ebay. Talk about marketing, LucasArts originally sold the game only to Blockbuster video, who rented them out. Or you could buy it directly from LucasArts by mail/phone/web. So there were never a huge amount of copies out there to start with.

As for playing on Wii, technically you could discard legality and put the game rom on an SD card and play it on the Wii with an emulator on the same SD card. However, the N64 emulator is still not well developed, and is incredibly slow. The PC-based N64 emulators work pretty good.

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by Grizzlor
As for playing on Wii, technically you could discard legality and put the game rom on an SD card and play it on the Wii with an emulator on the same SD card. However, the N64 emulator is still not well developed, and is incredibly slow. The PC-based N64 emulators work pretty good.

I might just try that! Thanks Grizzlor!:hat:

Agent Crab

I saw this game a one of my smaller game stores called "Video Games TEC." It was the N64 version, though.

I've never played it. Is it any good?

wolfgang

Oh I loved it! I really really did. I was hoping a Wii version of it would come out. You see, I never got to see the end.

I got stuck on the level before the last one. I killed the last Boss, then I got to the kinda space place that had the little chambers representing other levels, and I tried EVERYTHING!!!

But nothing did anything, so I never played it again and never finished it =(

Attila the Professor

Staff member
wolfgang said:
Oh I loved it! I really really did. I was hoping a Wii version of it would come out. You see, I never got to see the end.

I got stuck on the level before the last one. I killed the last Boss, then I got to the kinda space place that had the little chambers representing other levels, and I tried EVERYTHING!!!

But nothing did anything, so I never played it again and never finished it =(

Do you still have your save games? Because I bet a bit of poking around could produce results. (Yeah, the Aetherium can be a bit of a pain, to be sure.) I'm remembering parts where you purposefully have to fall out of the tunnel in order to get somewhere - and wonder if you've done that.

avidfilmbuff

In my opinion, Infernal Machine is the second best Indy game. Its graphics aren't good, but that's unimportant, since its gameplay is great. As I've mentioned before, I love games with exploration and puzzle solving, and this game didn't disappoint. Lucasarts should bring back Hal Barwood for the next Indy game.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
avidfilmbuff said:
In my opinion, Infernal Machine is the second best Indy game. Its graphics aren't good, but that's unimportant, since its gameplay is great. As I've mentioned before, I love games with exploration and puzzle solving, and this game didn't disappoint. Lucasarts should bring back Hal Barwood for the next Indy game.

Oh, clearly, I'd say. After Fate of Atlantis, this is the clear follow-up. (Though I do love the Last Crusade graphic adventure.)

Attila the Professor said:
Oh, clearly, I'd say. After Fate of Atlantis, this is the clear follow-up. (Though I do love the Last Crusade graphic adventure.)

Yeah, I think I'd agree... though IM falls apart pretty drastically in its final act. The Aetherium and the final walk into the sunset? No thanks...

I really, really dig Greatest Adventures. I think it's a strong contender for second-best Indy game.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
Yeah, I think I'd agree... though IM falls apart pretty drastically in its final act. The Aetherium and the final walk into the sunset? No thanks...

Well, that's true enough (Although I enjoyed, at least a little bit, the misdirection with Volodnikov. And he certainly wasn't suited as a boss battle, although it wouldn't have taken much rewriting to put him in the place of Sophia for the final Marduk boss.) But then, at least the Aetherium seemed consistent with the rest of the game (the walk out of the Shambala Sanctuary into the South Seas comes to mind) and its mythology, unlike the mess that is Emperor's Tomb.

And yeah, Greatest Adventures rocks. Nostalgia aside, I think I'd give it the number 3 spot, ahead of the Last Crusade adventure.

wolfgang

Attila the Professor said:
Do you still have your save games? Because I bet a bit of poking around could produce results. (Yeah, the Aetherium can be a bit of a pain, to be sure.) I'm remembering parts where you purposefully have to fall out of the tunnel in order to get somewhere - and wonder if you've done that.

Yeah, I do actually, BUT there's a little detail. I didn't play the PC version, but the N64 version, and in its place I now have the Wii. Maybe someday I'll finish it....oh well. Thanks a lot, though!

Now I'm playing Staff of Kings which I got for Christmast. I'm really liking....but not as much as I liked Infernal Machine.

I'm happy I can somehow unlock Fate of Atlantis, though, since I never played that one.