Infernal Machine

Attila the Professor said:
And yeah, Greatest Adventures rocks. Nostalgia aside, I think I'd give it the number 3 spot, ahead of the Last Crusade adventure.

Well yeah, I adore LC. But only from a nostalgic standpoint, because objectively speaking... it's pretty poor.

avidfilmbuff

Attila the Professor said:
Oh, clearly, I'd say. After Fate of Atlantis, this is the clear follow-up. (Though I do love the Last Crusade graphic adventure.)

I'm sorry, I just didn't enjoy the Last Crusade graphic adventure. It was fine in the beginning, but as soon you entered Castle Brunwald, the quality just went way down. I remember I had to start the game all over again because I forgot to get a painting at Henry's house. Not to mention that horrible maze in the airship.

Fate of Atlantis corrected all of Last Crusade's faults; and is, in my opinion, the best game I've ever played.

avidfilmbuff said:
I'm sorry, I just didn't enjoy the Last Crusade graphic adventure. It was fine in the beginning, but as soon you entered Castle Brunwald, the quality just went way down. I remember I had to start the game all over again because I forgot to get a painting at Henry's house. Not to mention that horrible maze in the airship.

Fate of Atlantis corrected all of Last Crusade's faults; and is, in my opinion, the best game I've ever played.

Eh you didn't HAVE to start the game over again. The game is completable without that painting.

...it just becomes exponentially more difficult. ;)

avidfilmbuff

ResidentAlien said:
Eh you didn't HAVE to start the game over again. The game is completable without that painting.

...it just becomes exponentially more difficult. ;)

Thank you for clearing that up. That actually reminds me of another problem. In Fate of Atlantis, whenever you fought a goon, your health would restore itself for the next possible fight. In Last Crusade, on the other hand, your health remains the same, unless you find a first aid kit, which is really rare. Plus, while you're in a fight, it seems that every time you throw a punch, your health goes even further down. I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating this was.

avidfilmbuff said:
Thank you for clearing that up. That actually reminds me of another problem. In Fate of Atlantis, whenever you fought a goon, your health would restore itself for the next possible fight. In Last Crusade, on the other hand, your health remains the same, unless you find a first aid kit, which is really rare. Plus, while you're in a fight, it seems that every time you throw a punch, your health goes even further down. I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating this was.

Oh I agree. It's infuriating. One of the many reasons I consider LC to be poor despite my nostalgia.

avidfilmbuff

Another great thing about Infernal Machine, and also Fate of Atlantis and Emperor's Tomb, was the music by Clint Bajakian. The Soviet theme that Clint wrote, got stuck in my head for days. He perfectly captured the awe and mystery of the story. It's too bad that he didn't come back for Staff of Kings, it might have made that game a bit better.

wolfgang

Grizzlor said:
As for playing on Wii, technically you could discard legality and put the game rom on an SD card and play it on the Wii with an emulator on the same SD card. However, the N64 emulator is still not well developed, and is incredibly slow. The PC-based N64 emulators work pretty good.

Ok, Grizzlor, or anyone, can I have this explained in a "For Dummies" kinda way???? Like what do I have to buy? What do I have to do??? Pretend explaining it to someone with no technological skill, please??? THANKS A MILLION IF YOU DO (y) (y) (y) !!!

And also, has anyone tried it??? Is it fun??? Are the controls good??? Thanks!

The Tingler

As far as I'm aware, N64 emulators have trouble with Infernal Machine. All the ones my, um, friend has tried didn't work. It's because it arrived so late and is one of the most advanced N64 games out there.

RaideroftheArk

This was the only thread I saw that was just dedicated to Infernal Machine no matter which version it is...I hope it's ok that I post my question in here?

Ok, if you had never played this game, and had the opportunity to buy it for the N64 complete (Box, Manual, Game)...would you spend 50 bucks on it?

Also, I have never played this game, and barely know the story to it. I have made every effort not to read much about it as I want a "fresh" gaming experience once I can obtain it.

RaideroftheArk said:
This was the only thread I saw that was just dedicated to Infernal Machine no matter which version it is...I hope it's ok that I post my question in here?

Ok, if you had never played this game, and had the opportunity to buy it for the N64 complete (Box, Manual, Game)...would you spend 50 bucks on it?

Also, I have never played this game, and barely know the story to it. I have made every effort not to read much about it as I want a "fresh" gaming experience once I can obtain it.

Yes. I did 11 years ago too when it first came out. ;)

RaideroftheArk

Yeah, I know...I'm so behind the times with this game.

I remember when it came out I said something like "Oh wow, well I'll wait for this to come down in price."

So much for that idea.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
RaideroftheArk said:
Yeah, I know...I'm so behind the times with this game.

I remember when it came out I said something like "Oh wow, well I'll wait for this to come down in price."

So much for that idea.

Well, I mean, it has, sort of, if you factor in inflation...

RaideroftheArk

This is true. (y)

I'm pretty excited to go into this title. It comes highly praised by a lot of people on these boards which I would love to give you all my first impressions of it.

Exulted Unicron

I know alot of people called Infernal Machine a Tomb Raider rip off back in 99. But I downloaded the demo and played it. Sure, the engine looks alot like Tomb Raider and the moves are, but the plotline is pure Indy. Stop the Russians from taking over the world in 1947.

I bought the guide book off eBay recently and its got a lot mre backstory than what you get in the game. Especially the intro pages that show Indy and Henry Sr discussing world politics over breakfast and Henry Sr taking over Indy's classes while he's away in Arizona

Exulted Unicron

re-read it. It was Utah. But it also mentions Last Crusade in that Indy states he's a mere archaeologist. To which Henry Sr replies that Indy has a taste for adventure...and that he couldn't go on a simple scout camping trip without falling down a cliff or falling off a train

Stoo

RaideroftheArk said:
I'm pretty excited to go into this title. It comes highly praised by a lot of people on these boards which I would love to give you all my first impressions of it.
I'm with you. After all these years...I recently played the demo for "Infernal Machine" and enjoyed every minute of it. Can't believe I've been missing out for so long. Consider me hooked and it's DEFINITELY on my want list!:whip:

(Would love to score a pristine, boxed copy like Montana Smith recently did!(y))