Infernal Machine

RaideroftheArk

Well I finally beat it.

After finding that glitch within the N64 game, I had to replay the entire level and hope that it didn't happen again. I was really happy that it didn't.

That final level was really bizarre. Made me appreciate KOTCS's ending a little more.

Does the N64 version of this game have the ability to access the BONUS LEVEL. I've seen online that you must purchase a map, but I don't remember seeing one in the trading post.

DocWhiskey

N64 does haves the Return to Peru bonus level. As to earn it regulatory I have no idea. I was so fed up with the game I used a cheat code. There's a pretty bad glitch in Peru too.

RaideroftheArk

DocWhiskey said:
N64 does haves the Return to Peru bonus level. As to earn it regulatory I have no idea. I was so fed up with the game I used a cheat code. There's a pretty bad glitch in Peru too.

Thanks Doc! I think some sites said you must have an IQ score of 1500? I believe I have that, but I still do not see the level showing up. I will have to double check my score.

On a side note...

Did anyone feel this game didn't add anything to Sophia Hapgood?

I felt she was very under utilized and was expecting more out of her role.

Montana Smith

RaideroftheArk said:
Thanks Doc! I think some sites said you must have an IQ score of 1500? I believe I have that, but I still do not see the level showing up. I will have to double check my score.

On a side note...

Did anyone feel this game didn't add anything to Sophia Hapgood?

I felt she was very under utilized and was expecting more out of her role.

Well, I've just started Nub's Tomb and there hasn't really been much of Sophia yet. She appears and disappears.

Funny thing is that while the Compatibility button didn't work (the game wouldn't open at all using either '95 or '98 compatibility), I haven't had a single crash since finishing the Russian ship level.

The mine carts were fun, especially the first time I played the level and let the cart run around the track on its own (I didn't realize the game had actually started, and thought I was watching a long cut-scene). I laughed out loud when Indy cracked his head on the first overhead pipe.

Then I realized the game had started and I should have ducked!

Running over the Russians was fun, too. Trying to time the cart's speed with their walking across the line.

RaideroftheArk

Yes, she's barely in the entire game. I was a little disappointed and a little disappointed about her current career choice. It doesn't seem so Sophia.

The mine carts were definitely fun! A nice little tribute to Temple of Doom.

I must say that level was driving me nuts until I performed one simple move that allowed me to progress to the end.

The only thing I was a little tired of was the repetitive spider enemies. Nice tribute to raiders but geeeeeeeeeeeez! It was so nice to see a scorpion thrown in their every now and again.

I didn't realize until towards the end of the game that you could actually whip them... I didn't think you could whip any enemy in this game.

Btw...I only have 1200 IQ points...that's why "Back to Peru" did not show up after I beat the game. I'm just glad it wasn't another glitch.

Prime Blue

RaideroftheArk said:
Yes, she's barely in the entire game. I was a little disappointed and a little disappointed about her current career choice. It doesn't seem so Sophia.
Barwood once said in an interview that he brought Sophia on board as a plot device, to have Indy gain a certain level of trust in the CIA.

Didn't play the game yet. I'm still waiting for my N64 version to arrive here, should be any day now. I'm looking forward to it a lot and hope it holds up to the impressions I've read so far.

RaideroftheArk

Prime Blue said:
Barwood once said in an interview that he brought Sophia on board as a plot device, to have Indy gain a certain level of trust in the CIA.

Didn't play the game yet. I'm still waiting for my N64 version to arrive here, should be any day now. I'm looking forward to it a lot and hope it holds up to the impressions I've read so far.

Definitely give us your impression. Now that I have just finished it for the first time, I'm excited to hear what new players think of it.

I'm not sure which I like better, this or Emperor's Tomb.

Montana Smith

RaideroftheArk said:
The only thing I was a little tired of was the repetitive spider enemies. Nice tribute to raiders but geeeeeeeeeeeez! It was so nice to see a scorpion thrown in their every now and again.

I found that using the sub-machinegun on them was fun as it reminded me of Andy Serkis' Lumpy in Peter Jackson's King Kong, firing his smg at the flies. Overkill here we come!

RaideroftheArk said:
I didn't realize until towards the end of the game that you could actually whip them... I didn't think you could whip any enemy in this game.

I didn't know you could whip the creepy crawlies either. I knew you could whip the guns out of the Russian's hands, but that proved pretty pointless, as they would advance to punch Indy's lights out, so you'd have to swap to a firearm to despatch them anyway.

RaideroftheArk said:
Btw...I only have 1200 IQ points...that's why "Back to Peru" did not show up after I beat the game. I'm just glad it wasn't another glitch.

So there's an extra level if you have enough IQ points?

RaideroftheArk

Montana Smith said:
I found that using the sub-machinegun on them was fun as it reminded me of Andy Serkis' Lumpy in Peter Jackson's King Kong, firing his smg at the flies. Overkill here we come!

Ha! Never thought of that. I did run around and use the shotgun on them when I became really frustrated and just wanted to get through the level.

Montana Smith said:
I didn't know you could whip the creepy crawlies either. I knew you could whip the guns out of the Russian's hands, but that proved pretty pointless, as they would advance to punch Indy's lights out, so you'd have to swap to a firearm to despatch them anyway.

I never tried to whip the guns out of the Russians hands. I suppose I could have saved a lot of ammo this way.

Montana Smith said:
So there's an extra level if you have enough IQ points?

Apparently in the N64 version you need 1500 IQ points to get the "Back to Peru" stage.

Montana Smith

RaideroftheArk said:
Apparently in the N64 version you need 1500 IQ points to get the "Back to Peru" stage.

I just noticed at the end of the PC walkthrough I have that there is a "Return to Peru" level, but no mention as to whether you need a certain number of IQ points.

I'm now on the "Infernal Machine" level and haven't had a game crash since the Russian ship, and I'm not even running Windows Media Player in the background any more. That feeling of security does make the game more enjoyable, and I have no idea why all the bugs and glitches suddenly disappeared.

RaideroftheArk

Montana Smith said:
I just noticed at the end of the PC walkthrough I have that there is a "Return to Peru" level, but no mention as to whether you need a certain number of IQ points.

I'm now on the "Infernal Machine" level and haven't had a game crash since the Russian ship, and I'm not even running Windows Media Player in the background any more. That feeling of security does make the game more enjoyable, and I have no idea why all the bugs and glitches suddenly disappeared.

The PC version may require you to purchase a map from Indy's trading post to access Return to Peru.

The walkthrough I looked at had the level present, but no indication on how to get to it.

I couldn't believe how buggy the N64 version was. I remember firing my pistol by accident at a wall that you need to use the machete and bam...game froze, screen went completely fuzzy like static.

Montana Smith

RaideroftheArk said:
The PC version may require you to purchase a map from Indy's trading post to access Return to Peru.

The walkthrough I looked at had the level present, but no indication on how to get to it.

I couldn't believe how buggy the N64 version was. I remember firing my pistol by accident at a wall that you need to use the machete and bam...game froze, screen went completely fuzzy like static.

A few bugs returned in "The Infernal Machine" level - a couple of actual crashes from firing either rocket launcher or SMG. Then a silly one where Indy would refuse to put his gun or whip away, as soon as he'd stowed the weapon he would immediately draw it again, so he couldn't pick up any objects. The "Fixme" cheat cured that.

I just got to the "Aetherium". Arghhhh! What a horrible looking level. I was swimming around aimlessly, managed to find something in a crawl space, but have no idea where I'm supposed to be going, even with the walkthrough!

RaideroftheArk

Montana Smith said:
A few bugs returned in "The Infernal Machine" level - a couple of actual crashes from firing either rocket launcher or SMG. Then a silly one where Indy would refuse to put his gun or whip away, as soon as he'd stowed the weapon he would immediately draw it again, so he couldn't pick up any objects. The "Fixme" cheat cured that.

I just got to the "Aetherium". Arghhhh! What a horrible looking level. I was swimming around aimlessly, managed to find something in a crawl space, but have no idea where I'm supposed to be going, even with the walkthrough!

I can give you help if you need it...I bumbled through this level as well. It was the worst level of the entire game, or at least I felt. If you read my posts above you will see that I ran into a glitch that caused me to have to replay the entire level.

Montana Smith

RaideroftheArk said:
I can give you help if you need it...I bumbled through this level as well. It was the worst level of the entire game, or at least I felt. If you read my posts above you will see that I ran into a glitch that caused me to have to replay the entire level.

Thanks. I'll give it another go later and see if I can make some sense out of it. "Bumbling" is a very apt description of what I was doing. If I get stuck, I'll be back!

The Tingler

On the PC version the 'Return To Peru' level just plays after you finish The Aetherium, but you won't get any money from the many treasures or the big Idol at the end.

It's easily the best and most Indy-like of the levels, and the finale is just epic. There's even a secret Close Encounters of the Third Kind room.

The Aetherium though is just incredibly frustrating if you don't know where to go or what to do, and you won't first time. Get lots of advice and guides.

Just make sure on the last trading post that you stock up with lots and lots of health, as the battle with Marduk is just plain unfair. It's easy to defeat as long as you have plenty of kits, but there are plenty of moments where you just can't avoid his hits.

Montana Smith

The Tingler said:
On the PC version the 'Return To Peru' level just plays after you finish The Aetherium, but you won't get any money from the many treasures or the big Idol at the end.

It's easily the best and most Indy-like of the levels, and the finale is just epic. There's even a secret Close Encounters of the Third Kind room.

A nod towards things to come, or the 1995 Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars script.

The Tingler said:
The Aetherium though is just incredibly frustrating if you don't know where to go or what to do, and you won't first time. Get lots of advice and guides.

Just make sure on the last trading post that you stock up with lots and lots of health, as the battle with Marduk is just plain unfair. It's easy to defeat as long as you have plenty of kits, but there are plenty of moments where you just can't avoid his hits.

The Aetherium is just plain nasty. There are levels that really do have that Indy feel, then as things progress the game gets further and further into un-Indy-like fantasy. Way beyond the trivial science fiction elements of KOTCS.

Gabeed

I kinda view the Aetherium level (and "The Infernal Machine," and the second half of "Nub's Tomb," with their lame robots) in Infernal Machine like the Xen levels in the end of Half Life 1. They're kooky levels that I'd rather skip.

I love the hell out of Infernal Machine for levels like Meroe, Teotihuacan, King Solomon's Mines, and Babylon--massive, immersive levels that completely drew me into the game, and would make me jump three feet in the air when I realized a scorpion was right next to me in the dark. It's a shame that the standard "adventure game" with sprawling, somewhat-non-linear levels has been left by the wayside for all these years.

Montana Smith

Gabeed said:
I kinda view the Aetherium level (and "The Infernal Machine," and the second half of "Nub's Tomb," with their lame robots) in Infernal Machine like the Xen levels in the end of Half Life 1. They're kooky levels that I'd rather skip.

I love the hell out of Infernal Machine for levels like Meroe, Teotihuacan, King Solomon's Mines, and Babylon--massive, immersive levels that completely drew me into the game, and would make me jump three feet in the air when I realized a scorpion was right next to me in the dark. It's a shame that the standard "adventure game" with sprawling, somewhat-non-linear levels has been left by the wayside for all these years.

I remember Half-Life well, and I know justy what you mean about it's alien levels. Half-Life was the sort of immersive first person shooter that I wish an Indy game could match.

I gave up on the Aetherium - it was just too frustrating. At one point I emerged into another world, then it crashed. After that I wasn't able to find my way back to that point.

Prime Blue

Got the game today. I'm at the beginning of level 3, love the settings, narrative and exploring, but find the combat with human enemies extremely frustrating. I'll try to beat the game without a walkthrough, so wish me luck. :)