New Indy Adventure Game?

indyjones2131

Well congrats on the new addition. And best of luck.

I happen to work as a professional writer and would be more than willing to contribute in any way that I can - especially while you tend to the little one.

Please feel free to put me to work, and nice job so far on the game.

Trennas

Congratulations on the family expansion, Lorn! :)

It's a great relief to hear the project itself is still well underway! :) I would also like to offer my writing services should they be needed, but it seems like you guys have things covered pretty well :)

lornconner

Thanks very much for the well-wishes, folks!

As a side note of family/Indy-related trivia:

There's an informal tradition in my family, related to initials of the firstborn.

My grandfathers name is LaVerne Morris Conner, my fathers name is Larry Melvin Conner, and my full name is Lorn Michael Conner.

I wanted to keep the "LMC" tradition going, and I feel that both my grandfather and my father got screwed when it came to names, and I wanted my offspring to have a name that was kind of cool.

My girlfriend agreed that I could keep this tradition going. She's a Harry Potter fan, so at first I joked that if it was a boy, I'd like to name him "Lucius Malfoy Conner." She quickly informed me that there was no way in hell that I'd get my way on that score.

I came up with two alternates, though:

If it's a boy, I'm hoping she'll allow me to name him "Lucius Marcus Conner." If it's a girl, we've agreed on "Lucille Marion Conner."

The only sticking point for her is "Marcus". She much prefers "Mark", but I think it falls flat. I'm hoping to convince her to use "Marcus", as both Marcus and Marion are two of my favorite Indiana Jones characters.

Lorn

Trennas

That's just so awesome! Truly great names! :)

In case you and your girlfriend might want some more options to pick from though, I find http://www.behindthename.com/ a very useful website. I usually use it to puzzle character names together, but naturally it also works for real people, even future ones ;)

Insomniac

bennihana123 said:
I think Staff of Kings could have been released on the PS3/360 if they hadn't shifted all their focus on The Force Unleashed.
Yet again: Star Wars > Indy.
I do think a FoA remake could be likely.
I agree...
But sadly Star Wars is a dying art.

martinland

lornconner said:
I can fill you in a bit on FOY.
Thanks for the info Lorn! Much appreciated...

...I watched the flash animations, played the demo, the mini game and...

...even donated a couple of days ago! :whip:

It's great to hear that all but three of those wonderful backgrounds are finished, amazing!

Can't wait!

Please tell all of the involved that there are people out there getting quite excited! (y)

ML

lornconner

Glad you enjoyed what you saw!

Figured I'd better amend my earlier statement, though, as I misspoke - we're missing 3 backgrounds for the INTRO to the game...not 3 backgrounds for the game in total.

We've got some good stuff in there though, and the intro is fairly long...more rooms than our demo contained, if I remember right.

Lorn

Jono11

The Tingler said:
LucasArts cancelled Staff of Kings to remake Monkey Island. :whip:
Why do people keep saying the game was cancelled? That's like the third or fourth time I've seen that. Did it not come out on the 9th?

martinland

lornconner said:
Glad you enjoyed what you saw!
[...]we're missing 3 backgrounds for the INTRO to the game...not 3 backgrounds for the game in total.[...]We've got some good stuff in there though, and the intro is fairly long
01: Yes, I really did!
10: Ooops, ouch - hmm, well, I guess wishful thinking got the better of me!
11: Can't wait!

ML

martinland

Jono11 said:
Why do people keep saying the game was cancelled? That's like the third or fourth time I've seen that. Did it not come out on the 9th?
This is a joke right? Of course we all know that the REAL game by LucasArts w/ all bells and whistles ("Endorphine", "Digital Matter", "ILM sets & lighting", you name it) got axed after years of, well, waiting... :confused:

The Tingler

Jono11 said:

Heh, you don't keep up with the news much do you? :p What platforms were missing from the line-up on the 9th? 360 and PS3. Those are the cancelled versions. Which LucasArts were making themselves, like they did with The Force Unleashed, but it didn't go along smoothly and got cancelled - now their only internally developed game seems to be this (very welcome) Monkey Island remake.

The Tingler

Eurogamer just posted an interview with Telltale's Dave Grossman about their new Tales of Monkey Island game, and the penultimate question may be of some interest to people here:

Eurogamer: You mentioned Indiana Jones earlier. Is that what you want to do next?

Dave Grossman: Uh, jeez. No comment. Actually, I love Indy - I would certainly do that one. Raiders of the Lost Ark was my favourite movie for many years until Pirates of the Caribbean came along.

Hope!

indyjones2131

Aha! See that!? You never know! Adventure games are more popular now than they have been is some time. Indy is of course always beloved despite some of the crap that tries to undermine that.

Man this would be great. I just hope Telltale would make the tone less goofy than the other games they've done.

The Tingler

Telltale have done CSI as well, not to mention that the LucasArts adventure team were generally known for goofy stuff like Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island and Sam & Max, and they still did Indy great.

They'd be brilliant, if it happened. Although I think they'd have to do a full game, not episodic... what do you guys think?

Trennas

Might very well work. The only problem I find with episodic content is that you have to wait for new content to appear. And at the rate you are most likely to play through an episode (unless you go HL2 nuts) so quickly that you're gonna have to wait months before you're able to pick it up again. For me, this disrupts the flow of a game immensely; so I'm not a terribly big fan of this..

Q&A: LucasArts President Darrell Rodriguez On 2010 And Beyond

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...dent_Darrell_Rodriguez_On_2010_And_Beyond.php

January 28, 2010

In 2008, Darrell Rodriguez left his job as EALA's COO and moved to the San Francisco Bay Area to become the president of LucasArts.

Since that time, there have been a lot of ups and downs at the company -- the cancellation of the overhyped next-gen Indiana Jones game; the success of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed; the rise of Lego-ization; the revival of Monkey Island under its original roof; and the quiet resumption of original IP development at the studio with the Xbox Live Arcade title Lucidity.

Is it your goal to continue to primarily work on Lucasfilm-licensed properties like Star Wars and Indiana Jones ? Or is that what you're going to do with big games, and then have XBLA be more original titles? What's the mix?

DR: We're definitely going to continue to do Star Wars and potentially Indiana Jones. We're also looking at new IP. We recently had some new IP, and we will continue on in that vein in the future.

What happened with that current-gen Indiana Jones game that never launched, and how can you make sure that these kinds of things don't happen? What processes are you putting in place to make sure that everything works out with projects like that in the future?

DR: We still believe in the Indiana Jones franchise. We did Lego Indiana Jones 1, we just released Lego Indiana Jones 2, and we'll continue to invest in the Indiana Jones franchise.