New Indy Adventure Game?

The Tingler

Not exactly new Indy game info, but the new Sam & Max episode The Tomb of Sammun-Mak has a real Indy feel to the proceedings (and a number of references thrown in too). The episode is out Tuesday May 18th and it's great.

I'm still betting on Telltale working on an Indy adventure game.

Prime Blue

I'd love to see some kind of genre mix. Maybe an adventure game with some action scenes interspersed. Like Fate of Atlantis, though with today's capabilities. It would have to be handled very carefully not to turn into a complete fiasco and I don't think LucasArts currently has staff talented enough to pull it off, but if done right, it could work really, really well. That is, if they can come up with a neatly written, character-driven and innovative story, which I don't think is very likely either...

The Tingler

Of course the other option is using the revamped Monkey Island Special Edition SCUMM engine and the team behind those two games to do an original Indy adventure.

indyjones2131

Telltales takes on Lucasarts classics are critical and commercial hits.

Telltale themselves have mentioned wanting to work on an Indy game.

Telltale only has Sam and Max releasing right now (if I'm not mistaken)

SOOOOO....

Should we be expecting an announcement in a couple weeks at E3??

I would LOVE to see them take some chances on the art style. Something invoking the old pulp adventure magazines - a gritty, vintage coolness.

IAdventurer01

indyjones2131 said:
Telltale themselves have mentioned wanting to work on an Indy game.

Didn't know that. That suddenly makes me more receptive to the idea. There's just something about people who really want to do something - they tend to do a better job than those who, well, don't.

indyjones2131

Yeah I've read more than one interview when they state that.

Question is what type of Indy game will be most likely to revive Indy?

There's the adventure game which are tough sells on platform -and I doubt there'd be a PC only release.

There's the "tomb raider" route, which would present tough comptetion with Uncharted and more so REQUIRES some fresh ideas and innovation. (no more crate sliding, ledge shimmying, etc, but actual dangerous scenarios to survive).

Then there's Indy meets Red Dead Redemption - that's right, sandbox game where danger and adventure are as likely to be created on the fly as scripted and unpredictability and exploration rule.

Nurhachi1991

Actually I would rather have a BTTF game than an Indy game atm

But with tell talke behinf the reigns it will probally suck..... I wanted a back to the future game to be done in the style of the recent Ghostbusters game

DocWhiskey

Nurhachi1991 said:

But with tell talke behinf the reigns it will probally suck..... I wanted a back to the future game to be done in the style of the recent Ghostbusters game

If that were to be done I couldn't play it because I'd die of a heart attack. It's a lose/lose for me.

The Tingler

Nurhachi1991 said:

Wow, three sentences that contained absolutely nothing correct! :D Kidding, kidding.

I want nothing more than another, good, Indy game, adventure game or no, as long as it's an original and vaguely-well-told story. As much as I love BTTF, it's a distant want.

If you think Telltale suck, try playing the current season of Sam & Max or Tales of Monkey Island. They most definitely don't.

A BTTF game in the style of Ghostbusters: The Videogame? If you mean all the original voice actors and a new sequel, with great graphics and sound, then yes. If you mean the repetitive shoot-em-up that the game actually is, then no. No no no no.

Bjorn Heimdall

Telltale Games have done a close to outstanding job with Tales of Monkey Island. I'm stuck on chapter four at the moment, but only because my PC is starting to freeze up, in general. I say close to outstanding because frankly the navigating is a pain. moving the character with the mouse is very counter-intuitive so I switch my right hand between the mouse and keyboard, depending on what's going on. The inventory system could be better as well, but I think the console versions pretty much solve both problems. The humor in the games is great, Monkey Island is back on track after the very poor Escape from Monkey Island. They would do a great job with Indy, I am sure of that.

Udvarnoky

Bjorn Heimdall said:
I say close to outstanding because frankly the navigating is a pain. moving the character with the mouse is very counter-intuitive

The game is really meant to be played with both the keyboard (movement) and mouse (interaction) on the PC. The alternate mouse-only controls feel like they were implemented specifically for the purists who whined that they would never play an adventure game with keyboard controls.

Anyway, I agree, Telltale has done a great job with Monkey Island and they'd probably make an amazing Indiana Jones game. A year ago I would have told you that the possibility of another graphic adventure Indiana Jones game was nonexistent, but honestly between the fact that the action/adventure Indy games (which you'd think would be a perfect fit for the character) have thus far been more mediocre than great, Telltale Games have managed to get LucasArts to allow them to work on one of their licenses, and the fact that Telltale is most recently working on high profile film franchises, the formerly impossible notion of them getting the opportunity to work on Indy someday is suddenly something I'm not sure I can 100% rule out anymore.

lornconner said:
Glad you enjoyed what you saw! Figured I'd better amend my earlier statement, though, as I misspoke - we're missing 3 backgrounds for the INTRO to the game...not 3 backgrounds for the game in total. We've got some good stuff in there though, and the intro is fairly long...more rooms than our demo contained, if I remember right.

Lorn

Don't know if this is an update but the PC Gamer article is "new."

Indie Indiana Jones adventure game releases demo

Didn't find anything searching on "Seven Cities Gold", so here's this too:

Indiana Jones and the 7 Cities of Gold

48298d1294117245t-indiana-jones-seven-cities-gold-demo-demo_2010_shot1.jpg

The year is 1940. The world is in turmoil as the Second World War engulfs it. Hitler's Nazi forces are rapidly marching across Europe, and the forces of Imperial Japan are sweeping across the Pacific. Returning from yet another adventure, our hero Indiana Jones receives a telegram from his colleague Marcus Brody asking him to meet him in the deserts of Arizona. Traveling to Arizona, Indiana meets up with Marcus and an amazing discovery catapults the man with the Hat into a new adventure - this time in search of the legendary Seven Cities of Gold. As Indy once again travels across the globe, he teams up with George and Elizabeth Stenson to aid in the search for the Cities. But the Third Reich wants to find the Cities as well, and has dispatched agents to find it. According to the legend of the Seven Cities of Gold, the Cities are said to contain incredible wealth and amazing ancient secrets which in the hands of the Nazis would aid them in their conquest of the globe. With the fate of the free world hanging in the balance, Indy and his friends become entangled in a deadly race to find the Cities first and keep the Nazis from unlocking the secrets of the Seven Cities of Gold.

Complete with sinister villains, rewarding puzzles, exotic locations and the secrets of a long-forgotten culture, Indiana Jones and the Seven Cities of Gold will be full of all the familiar Indy charm, as well as new additions by loyal fans of the series to make this game a fun and exciting endeavor into adventure gaming.

Last edited:

Lambonius

The Tingler said:
I believe that Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth will be out this year. They've just released a new updated demo and will shortly release a new mini-game, Passage of Saints.

I'm very excited.

Still though, what makes you think it will be out this year? I was under the impression that they still had a long way to go with it, and that they were hung up on the creation of art resources. I read that the updated demo was pretty much identical to the old demo of several years ago with just a few new additions. Lol...not to be a downer or anything. ;)