LucasArts classics coming to Steam

Inbanana

Nothing I guess... other than I just think its kind of a heavy handed approach at anti-piracy, one that I'm not sure even works, and only seems to end up punishing their customers by making them jump through all kinds of hoops just to get the software that they've honestly bought and paid for up and running... I mean, first you have to download Steam, set up an account, download the game, do all the auto-updates, make sure you're connected to the internet when you want to play it so it can be validated online... all just to play a single player game? I don't know, its just a little bit too intrusive for my tastes... I'd love to try out the Last Crusade adventure game and the talkie version of Fate of Atlantis (the Amiga version I use to have didn't have the voice overs...), but I'd rather not have to install Steam again on another system... Anyway, its just a weird thing I have about Steam... don't mind me...

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Then again, one only has to jump through those hoops only once during the initial installation. Once it's done, Steam reverts to being a de facto launcher for the game.

Majority of the process is automatic too... I mean, we'll have to install all the games we want on our computers and even a so-called "standard" installation process has us checking an option or two as well. I don't seriously see what's the big deal with doing those mandatory mouseclicks in Steam, especially since one doesn't have to bother with them again.

UKIndyFan

Really showing my age here but I think FoA is pretty rubbish. I'm still on the stage when Sophia is giving her lecture and can't figure out what to do! The stage hand has wandered off and am I meant to mess with the levers or something. Gameplay is annoying and takes way too long.

Johnny Nys

What, never played an adventure game before? The whole idea is to figure out what to do. Yes, mess with the levers until the light turns green (if I remember correctly you have to push both the left and right lever forward), then push the button to launch the puppet and interrupt Sophia.

spiralout

Inbanana said:
Nothing I guess... other than I just think its kind of a heavy handed approach at anti-piracy, one that I'm not sure even works, and only seems to end up punishing their customers by making them jump through all kinds of hoops just to get the software that they've honestly bought and paid for up and running... I mean, first you have to download Steam, set up an account, download the game, do all the auto-updates, make sure you're connected to the internet when you want to play it so it can be validated online... all just to play a single player game? I don't know, its just a little bit too intrusive for my tastes... I'd love to try out the Last Crusade adventure game and the talkie version of Fate of Atlantis (the Amiga version I use to have didn't have the voice overs...), but I'd rather not have to install Steam again on another system... Anyway, its just a weird thing I have about Steam... don't mind me...

Let's see... I have 72 games listed on Steam. What would be easier, installing them from discs or downloading them all at once?

Trennas

spiralout said:
Let's see... I have 72 games listed on Steam. What would be easier, installing them from discs or downloading them all at once?

Which are accessible from any computer as long as it has Steam, too :)

michael

I purchased Fate of Atlantis and Last Crusade through Steam this weekend, always fascinated with the allure that Fate of Atlantis gets around here, so I've been meaning to try it.
I'm hoping I will get the same out of it as the people who love it so much.
I never played those games growing up.

IAdventurer01

For something like a rerelease of these classics, I don't have a huge issue of releasing them via Steam - it's cheap for the company, they can pick up a few bucks, and players can find out what they've been missing. I don't care for download-only titles though if they're on their first release and are from a pretty serious publisher. I like my hard copy and nice packaging!

Johnny Nys said:
I've been looking for a hardcopy of the first season of Sam & Max, but looks like only the Wii version is available here. However, you can pre-order both versions of season two.

Are you talking about at retail stores or something because, uh ...
http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-season1-disc

And pre-order, really? Hasn't it been out for half a year or so?

... (I'm not trying to be a jerk I'm just trying to be helpful. I'm not sure if that's coming across)

Johnny Nys

Yes, retail stores, because they accept cash don't require credit cards.

The pre-order I mentioned is for the complete season 2 compilation disc. The final episodes are still to be released online, as far as I can tell.

Usually I order stuff online at proxis.be, because next to online payment, they also allow regular bank transfers, and delivery is free. Of course what you can buy depends on their catalogue.

No, I don't think you're being rude. I went through several discussions about online payment and creditcards and Paypal and all that in the past, and I'm a bit tired of explaining why I don't want/can't use those options. I understand that for most people buying stuff online has become as common as going to the bakery at the corner on Sunday morning to buy croissants, so I also understand why my "problem" would seem insignificant. But that's why I always say it's strictly "my" problem, not a general one, but I do want to keep my right to complain about it now and then, because everyone complains about something now and then about things I myself might find too trivial or silly. It's all a matter of perspective.

AlivePoet

Mon Dieu...

As most of you Monkey Island fans are probably aware, the new special edition of the classic adventure released today on Steam for a bargain price of $9.99. But while the price is low, the system requirements are high--very high, for what it is. From what I've seen, the graphics, while beautiful, are still fairly simple and the animation isn't all bells and whistles. But these requirements are an outrage.

# OS: Windows XP® or Windows Vista®
# Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3000+
# Memory: 256 MB RAM, 512 MB for Vista
# Graphics: 128 MB with Shader Model 2.0 capability
# DirectX®: 9.0c (March 2009)
# Hard Drive: 2.5GB free hard drive space
# Sound: DirectX® 9.0c compliant sound card

3 ghz? for this? and 128 mb of video ram? For you folks running new machines these requirements probably seem pretty tame, but as for me, running my 1 ghz laptop with 16 mb of video memory... I was hoping for something a little less system heavy. Ah well.

Finn

Staff member
That's a pretty tall order if you consider that you can run the original MI on a modern stopwatch if you'd like (an exaggeration) and as far as I know, the remake's still running on 20-year-old code.

However, I doubt it's going to hurt sales too much, as it should run on technology that laps back five years. Those reqs actually pretty much mirror the machine I bought in 2003 (and have since replaced two times over). And a game that runs on a comp that was state-of-the-art five to six years ago isn't all that unreasonable.

Johnny Nys

That's the problem with pc games. At least with consoles, you don't have to worry about such a thing. Luckily there's such a thing as demos, so you can try out a game before you buy it. I always thought if you can run the demo, you can run the entire game. But not every game has a demo. The new Telltale MI has one but I don't think the special edition has.

Last edited:

The Tingler

I don't know if those requirements are serious. I can't imagine it needing that much... but on the other hand - 1Ghz? 16Mb memory? It's all very well saying "that's the problem with PC games", but you still can't run a PS3 game on a PS1. That's the equivalent!

Skylover SC said:
too bad they dont release those games soundtracks for download too

Here you go.

For all those who have never played an adventure game before, like UKIndyFan, and are just buying it because we've hyped up Fate of Atlantis as the best Indy game, beware. These games are about puzzle solving, not action, and so they're a lot slower paced than you might be expecting. They also present their puzzles a lot more subtly. In short, if you like games with a fast pace, they won't be for you.

On the other hand, it is the best Indy story in a game.

As for the stage puzzle, you have to get those levers to light up green and then I think you have to push another button or lever on the controls to let that fake ghost go and ruin Sophia's presentation.

Johnny Nys

It might be the equivalent, but all PS3 games still run on a PS3, all PS2 games run on a PS2 and all PS1 games run on a PS1.

The PS2 was released five years after the PS1, and the PS3 six and a half years after that (I'm using the release dates for my location).

However, in the same time frame, you could buy a new PC in January of any year, and you'd already be having a hard time trying to run games coming out in December of that year, if not July or August, forcing you to upgrade. And because individual systems can be so unique depending on brands of hardware and such, even system requirements mentioned on game boxes don't always guarantee a smooth run. And if you're not a computer wizard who knows how to play with the settings and software, you're screwed.

To me there's a clear difference between a next generation console and a new computer with better hardware. Any fool knows you can't run a PS3 game on a PS1, or an X-Box game on a Wii for that matter.

That's why I switched to consoles back when GTA3 came out. If a next gen comes out, you only have to pay for a piece of hardware once and you're set for several years. I'm not one of the lucky ones who can buy a new computer each year to keep up with new releases.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm a budget gamer, which doesn't make me any less enthusiastic about games than people who can afford more than one system, and budget gamers to me seem a mostly ignored demographic, which is only natural because companies will always focus their attention on the people from whom they can receive the most money.

Finn

Staff member
Johnny Nys said:
However, in the same time frame, you could buy a new PC in January of any year, and you'd already be having a hard time trying to run games coming out in December of that year, if not July or August, forcing you to upgrade. And because individual systems can be so unique depending on brands of hardware and such, even system requirements mentioned on game boxes don't always guarantee a smooth run. And if you're not a computer wizard who knows how to play with the settings and software, you're screwed.
Nonsense. At least as long as you know what to buy, and when to buy. With a bit of knowledge anyone can make his or her rig stand the test of time from two to three years without any major compatibility issues. And that doesn't mean buying state-of-the-art parts either.

Trennas

I got my computer six years ago and it's still running like a charm. It runs virtually every game (except for games with real outrageous standards) smoothly. For anything that requires a little more power, I have a PS3. Worked out pretty well so far (y)

Finn

Staff member
Trennas said:
(except for games with real outrageous standards)
I'm going to assume this translates as "every other game published nowadays". There's no friggin' way that a six-year-old rig runs majority of the recently-published commercial games without any upgrades. (And if there's been any, then that whole statement doesn't really hold true.)

Trennas

That's exactly what I meant, Finn, I was a bit lost for words earlier, must be the summer heat messing with my brain. :p Never upgraded the beasty either, except for replacing the hard disk when the old one had crashed.