Staff of Kings 360/PS3 test animations

Grizzlor

Unbelievable, those videos looked fantastic. Wow, what a huge shame. Right up there with the wasted original cast audio/story of Star Trek Secret of Vulcan Fury. That last video of Indy talking looked really life like.

PS: I doubt those voices were what they would have used in the final production.

The Tingler

Will watch them later (aren't allowed YouTube from where I am now), although they'll only make me cry.

Staff of Kings has done very badly. I didn't see any adverts anywhere outside of Facebook. LucasArts knew it was awful and that they weren't going to get their sales back.

We can only hope they decide to make a better one... but goddammit, the Staff of Moses was such a perfect Indy artifact!! Talk about a wasted opportunity.

For what it's worth, there is a petition in the works to try and get them to finish this game. It may or may not help, but in light of these videos it's a game worth fighting for. :gun:

What I don't understand is: Where did these videos come from? Why are they available to view all of a sudden? Is it kind of weird for them to just show up like this?

DocWhiskey

I was thinking it was maybe from one of the developers. Perhaps someone who worked on it is a big Indy fan and figured they'd release it. I'm sure the footage will barely be noticed to anyone else besides us.

tocksic

DocWhiskey said:
I'm sure the footage will barely be noticed to anyone else besides us.

Well those videos were a prominent headline on the biggest german-speaking gamer-website. And there were many people (who are no big indy fans) who commented it by saying stuff like "why did lucasarts stop production? this looks so cool!" or "this is so much better than what came out on wii." So basically the same way we fans are seeing it.

tocksic said:
Well those videos were a prominent headline on the biggest german-speaking gamer-website. And there were many people (who are no big indy fans) who commented it by saying stuff like "why did lucasarts stop production? this looks so cool!" or "this is so much better than what came out on wii." So basically the same way we fans are seeing it.

That's the sort of feedback Lucasarts needs to hear. Gamers who aren't necessarily big Indyfans who would still want to buy the game.

I truly believe that if they made a great Indy game, with a great story, great graphics, terrific gameplay, and marketed it well, it would be a big seller. They have been trying to get by on the name Indiana Jones for years. If they focused on the quality of the game as a selling point instead of just relying on the built-in market, the built-in appeal of Indy, then maybe Indiana Jones will finally get his Goldeneye - a game that would be successful and popular even without the big franchise attached to it, and then is really put over the top by incorporating the elements of the franchise into an already great basic concept. This version of Staff of Kings showed some promise of that.

The game that got released feels like it started with Indiana Jones, and then they tried to decide the locations and the gimmicks they wanted to try and use, and then they developed a story that could loosely tie it all together. Then they slapped together a game with rotten graphics, poor AI, clunky controls, and small, limited environments. They accomplished their basic tasks: it has Indy, good music, and it has gimmicky whip controls and lots of locales, but little else.

Lucasarts: Put some more into the game, and you'll get more back from it.

tocksic

LucasArts just should hire NaughtyDog, who developed the Uncharted franchise for PlayStation 3. They would make THE MOST perfect Indy game. Depending story, graphics, gameplay, atmosphere and music.

DocWhiskey

tocksic said:

Well that's good to hear.

I really wish LucasArts still would've ran with it. I mean, they put so much money into it, why not finish it?

Hell, maybe finish the few levels they had and release it as downloadable content on XBL and PSN.

Sure, we'd complain about the game being so short, but if it was great, I'd still take it over the SoK we got instead.

DocWhiskey said:
Hell, maybe finish the few levels they had and release it as downloadable content on XBL and PSN.

Sure, we'd complain about the game being so short, but if it was great, I'd still take it over the SoK we got instead.

I love this idea as an alternative to giving us nothing. We get at least a taste, they can charge a little fee for the download (price dependent on how many levels they give us) and recoup some of the cost of development, and they can gauge the interest a little bit in an Indy game in HD.

The Drifter

tocksic said:
LucasArts just should hire NaughtyDog, who developed the Uncharted franchise for PlayStation 3. They would make THE MOST perfect Indy game. Depending story, graphics, gameplay, atmosphere and music.

But, NaughtyDog would have been too busy with Uncharted 2.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fF0Zf6Mrvu0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fF0Zf6Mrvu0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lance Quazar

Wow, this is just like Hasbro's second Raiders wave all over again -

"Look at this awesome thing we're making! It's incredibly cool, all you Indy fans will LOVE it!"

"PSYCH! Ha ha, you won't get it. Sorry, there isn't enough outside interest to support it. Oh, well, tough luck."

AAAAAAAAARGH!

Another cross to bear for us Indy fans.

The Drifter

Rocket Surgeon said:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fF0Zf6Mrvu0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fF0Zf6Mrvu0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Garsh, that is beautiful.

The Tingler

robisindy said:
They have been trying to get by on the name Indiana Jones for years.

I disagree. Apart from a few crappy platformers, the Fate of Atlantis "Action Game" and that Indy's Desktop Adventures thing, all Indiana Jones games have been either been good or great in my opinion.

Emperor's Tomb may not have ended up perfect, but they certainly tried hard with it and gave it to a developer that was a dab hand at decent fistfights and action/adventures. The Collective's Buffy the Vampire Slayer Xbox game and Deep Space Nine: The Fallen were excellent. This was when LucasArts gave their licences to developers who were great in their field - Raven for an FPS/hack n' slash game, Bioware for an RPG, The Collective for an action/adventure with an emphasis on barefist fighting.

Well, apart from Staff of Kings. It was only ever meant to be a crappy backup copy of the 360/PS3 game, A2M's was never meant to be the main game.

And yes, these animations did make me cry. Still, apart from better animation, graphics and a satchel I don't see a game here. Looks like several Quick-Time Event moments in there, and this is only a few seconds of gameplay.

The Drifter

The Tingler said:
And yes, these animations did make me cry. Still, apart from better animation, graphics and a satchel I don't see a game here. Looks like several Quick-Time Event moments in there, and this is only a few seconds of gameplay.

You can tell that it was not fluid gameplay at all. I just wonder why we seen no button-cues popping up if it were QTE?

Lonsome_Drifter said:
You can tell that it was not fluid gameplay at all. I just wonder why we seen no button-cues popping up if it were QTE?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TPk3_NaWkUg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TPk3_NaWkUg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Drifter

Rocket Surgeon said:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TPk3_NaWkUg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TPk3_NaWkUg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's not really a QTE. It looks like it's an option you can do when fighting. Like when Indy gets knocked down in that video, the player could have either gotten up and fought with his fist, or pressed A to stun the enemy.

A QTE is like in God of War, where you MUST press the corresponding buttons to pass the section.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
That's not really a QTE. It looks like it's an option you can do when fighting. Like when Indy gets knocked down in that video, the player could have either gotten up and fought with his fist, or pressed A to stun the enemy. A QTE is like in God of War, where you MUST press the corresponding buttons to pass the section.

Oh, I know what a QTE is...but what better reason to post more video? Do you think it would look much different?