The Empereor's Tomb Sequel That Never Was...

DocWhiskey

Hey guys!

Dug this up and thought I'd share it. Apparently a member on the Cg Society forums used to work at Collective studios. After ET shipped, they were eagerly working on a sequel that never happened.

Title: Indiana Jones and the Lost Project
Name: Peter Han
Software:

So... this image is 5 years old, low poly realtime model created for a project that could have been. No photos were used in the creation of the textures and the render was not retouched.

This was done at Collective Studios, now known as Double Helix, sometime after Indiana Jones and the Emporer's Tomb shipped. Hoping to work on another game, we did some R & D for a possible sequel. New, polished character models were created and the Indiana Jones model completely redone.

There was an amazing prototype that was up and running with updated gameplay, but unfortuneately this project never happened. Probably could have been the greatest Indy game ever. : ) Unfortuneately due to things out of the hands of the studio and suprisingly, even the publisher, nothing came about.

But after all these years, it was still probalby the most fun project i've ever worked on and since after the new movie came out, i just decided to dust off these images.

sli3a1.jpg

5ju15w.jpg

2wcgmza.jpg

Looks like it would've been something, huh?
:whip:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=699999&highlight=indiana+jones

DocWhiskey

Exactly. I love that first screenshot. Reminds so much of the republic serial trailers! I'm guessing that would've been the style of the video games actual trailer. Damn!

ET got good scores, did it sell much? I don't know WHY it didn't move forward. Why is it when it comes to Indy everyone is excited about the character EXCEPT Lucas?

lao che & sons

I am now beyond mad at lucasarts:mad:

Really? They give us crap and expect to make great money so they can make more, then they wonder why it is that it doesn't sell decide that Indy doesn't have a fan base and quit. WOW:rolleyes:

Morning Bell

ET was a fantastic game and with a few tweaks the sequel could have been truly awesome. I was playing Uncharted today and thinking about all the possibilities that a new Indy game could have and how awesome it could truly be if the proper time and effort were put into it. SoK was okay but it didn't satisfy me and really left me wanting something more.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Man, that character render is awesome. Why oh why didn't this happen? I would love to know what story details if any were developed for this game. I have honestly never seen such a spot on CGI character of Harrison Ford let alone Indy.

All I can say is they have certainly made some very bizarre and baffling decisions regarding Indy games and merchandising (ie SoK novel). If I heard some valid reason for these decisions, I wouldn't judge, but since I haven't, they really need to reconsider their strategies regarding marketing and merchandising.

The Drifter

Wow, this is a low-poly model from five years ago and look how great it looks!
I wish the ET team would gather up again and make a new game from scratch. If they pulled off that awesome model back then; just imagine what they could do now.

Col. Detritch

WOW!

I had to sit back a bit after seeing those pictures so that the combination of my drowl and tears didn't destroy my computer! WHY!:mad: This could have been such a good game. It definatly looks better that ET and my mind now boggles with possible plots and villains and levels!

Does anyone have any other details on this would-have-been game? Great find Doc. :hat:

DocWhiskey

Great find, Henry!

*Sigh*

But, alas, you made me even more distraught about the missed opportunity that was this game.

Shorty was going to be in this? My heart is now officially broken.

Oh, LucasArts, you...damn...fools.

The Tingler

I don't think this was ever really even a game, just a few models and promotional stuff to try and persuade LucasArts to give them the licence again. Which they should've done. Emperor's Tomb might be flawed, but compared to Staff of Kings it's like how Raiders of the Lost Ark compares to Scorpion King 2.

DocWhiskey

The developer who posted these images said their was an "amazing prototype with updated gameplay" and they did some r and d . So, yeah, I'm guessing it was all to get Lucasarts sold on a sequel. I'd love to see footage of the prototype game.