The Empereor's Tomb Sequel That Never Was...

EddyW

Haha, sorry about that, I'm not really a gamer so I didn't realize that wound was still fresh.

Indy Brazil

Dr. Gonzo said:
I had never seen those videos before.
Now this is extremely disappointing.
That "ladies first" video really looked like Harry and had his mannerisms.

There was another video that leaked first, but it was removed from YouTube like these and I think it's lost forever.

Last edited:

DiscoLad

EddyW said:
Haha, sorry about that, I'm not really a gamer so I didn't realize that wound was still fresh.

I had just stopped crying myself to sleep too...
*Sniff* It's okay. Stay strong Disco, stay strong.
Told yourself you were over it, man. :p

Just kidding, Just disappointed. (n)

Le Saboteur

Dr. Jones may be out of limelight, but he hasn't been forgotten about. In a feature posted on Friday (11/11/11), the UK's Computer & Video Games site lists Emperor's Tomb has one of the five under appreciated games that deserves a sequel.

We haven't played an Indiana Jones game since Emperor's Tomb back in 2003. There was the LEGO game of course, and the Staff of Kings which came out 2009, but the less said about that game the better. Those two didn't satisfy our need for fedoras and whips. We've probably had at least 30 different Star Wars game come out between the release Emperor's Tomb and now, so we have just a sneaking suspicion that LucasArts is neglecting everyone's favourite archaeologist just a little bit.

screenshot_271124_thumb_wide620.jpg

Check out the Indiana Jones entry here. You can read the full feature from the beginning here.

Indy's brother

I believe that the greatest Indy game has yet to be made. Indy could live on for all eternity in the console world, easily outliving Indy's creators. Unfortunately, that may be exactly how long it will take to emerge.

EvilEmperorZoRG

Indy's brother said:
I believe that the greatest Indy game has yet to be made. Indy could live on for all eternity in the console world, easily outliving Indy's creators. Unfortunately, that may be exactly how long it will take to emerge.

Exactly my idea. I made a topic about it called Video games the future of Indy.

After Indy 5 if there's an Indy 5 we're probably done with the films. But Harrison Ford can continue portraying Indy on the best place for him after movies, videogames. There's no limit there because of ages. We can go back to to the 30s ;)

Last edited:

Indy's brother

EvilEmperorZoRG said:
Exactly my idea. I made a topic about it called Video games the future of Indy.

After Indy 5 if there's an Indy 5 we're probably done with the films. But Harrison Ford can continue portraying Indy on the best place for him after movies, videogames. There's no limit there because of ages. We can go back to to the 30s ;)

I can't find the quote (it's around here somewhere), but he was once directly asked in an interview if he would ever do voice work for an Indy game, and he flatly said no. Of course, once the stake has been irrevocably driven into the heart of big-screen Indy/Indy 5, he may change his tune. It's pretty well documented that KOTCS was made in no small part because Ford himself kept pushing (for years) to do another Indy film, so has an obvious affinity for the character. But until I hear otherwise, I'll go with his own words on the matter.

EvilEmperorZoRG

The Drifter said:
The guy who did Indy's voice in Emperor's Tomb did a decent job. Just hire him back to do it again.

Same for Staff of Kings. But why not to give the job to the real Indy, Harrison Ford?
Why he doesn't want to? Sean Connery did an awesome job on the videogame From Russia With Love back in 2006. He was 76 I think!

Indy's brother

Better yet, use no voice at all, accept for grunts and yelling. Isaac Clarke, the main protagonist of the Dead Space games didn't utter a single word in the first game, and it didn't hurt it a bit. If anything, it made it easier to embody the character while playing. I.e, I know that I look and sound nothing like Ford, but those details could be easily over-looked with a Dead Space presentation, including the faceless over-the shoulder bit. Indy isn't really a talky enough guy to necessitate that much chit-chat. If anything, hearing him prattle on in ET and SOK, really takes away from the immersion. Not to mention how surprisingly difficult is is for visual artists of every stripe to really nail Ford's likeness, anyway.

Olliana

That's an issue the Germans at least don't have to deal with. German voice actor Wolfgang Pampel dubs Harrison Ford in all of his movies since Star Wars AND in the video games since IJ and the Infernal Machine. And this adds so much to these games.(y)
He was also on the spot when they hired him to narrate an all new text in the preview for the most recent tv screening of the Indy quadrilogy as 'Indy' himself. He's such a nice person and even was to meet Harrison once, but it didn't quite happen because there were too many fans around Harrison, picking him into pieces :rolleyes:
He does remind me of Sean Connery...

Col. Detritch

Olliana said:
Wait...what?

They could've made this

2wcgmza.jpg

but decided to give us this?

47242_orig.jpg

This is kinda depressing...

You know what's really depressing, Olliana?

"We want to bring consumers an Indy experience in 2009 following the successful launch of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in 2008,” comments a LucasArts spokesperson. “The next-gen skus would not be ready for the 2009 window so we made a strategic business decision to end development on PS3 and Xbox 360."

... once again, income outweighs integrity.

As for the voice in a new game, if not Harrison, I think the voice actor from the bitter-sweet video posted earlier was spot on (but maybe I was just distracted by the stunning accuracy of his face :p )

Originally Posted by Indy Brazil
Check those videos: http://www.unseen64.net/2009/08/04/i...ps3-cancelled/

Or John Armstrong, who did quite well as Indy in Staff of Kings. I'm unsure if it's the same actor in both cases, but they sounded slightly different to me.

Anyway, feels good to be back on The Raven amidst the fresh conversation. :hat:

I.M.J.

I didn't mind The Emperors Tomb, and I actually enjoyed the narrative behind the Staff of Kings, so I've got that at least. However, what these publishers should do is get in to make a game the quality of something like Uncharted (which, and let's be honest, blows any Indy game made out of the water in every conceivable way), and then swap it out with Indy characters.

The point is that when these company's set out to make a game for a license like this, it's rare that it's a quality piece. So design and adventure game and then adapt it. Don't write the game for the quick fix sale of the license. I know this seems counter intuitive, but maybe a company who does it will launch a new gaming franchise rather than a licensed product that counts on cult follower money.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I.M.J. said:
I didn't mind The Emperors Tomb, and I actually enjoyed the narrative behind the Staff of Kings, so I've got that at least. However, what these publishers should do is get in to make a game the quality of something like Uncharted (which, and let's be honest, blows any Indy game made out of the water in every conceivable way), and then swap it out with Indy characters.

The point is that when these company's set out to make a game for a license like this, it's rare that it's a quality piece. So design and adventure game and then adapt it. Don't write the game for the quick fix sale of the license. I know this seems counter intuitive, but maybe a company who does it will launch a new gaming franchise rather than a licensed product that counts on cult follower money.

While I think I agree with your hopes for the development of Indy as a gaming franchise, I disagree with the sentiment that Uncharted blows all of the Indy games out of the water. The games are plenty of fun, and do offer some characterization, but there's something that Infernal Machine in particular offers that, as far as I've seen thus far, Uncharted doesn't offer to as strong as an extent, and that is an experience of actual exploration. While I'd still argue that Fate of Atlantis is the most compelling of the Indy games, Infernal Machine is perhaps the one we should be looking at most to see what has been disappearing over the past two new narrative games we've received, the fun-but-shallow Emperor's Tomb and the truly lackluster Staff of Kings.

Col. Detritch

YES! Three words. Immersive, non-linear environments.

Oh and a far longer, story driven game too. But that goes without saying... well, actually, it should go without saying.

:hat:

Mephisto

DiscoLad said:
So instead we got Staff of Kings... *Facepalm*(n)

UGH. I hated the game play in Staff of Kings so much after just beating Emperor's Tomb that I played it for a total of like a half hour...it was a huge step backwards...That's usually when the ground falls out from underneath your feet!