The Empereor's Tomb Sequel That Never Was...

Finn

Staff member
Looks like more of the same that ET was.

Don't get me wrong, I found the game fun enough... but it doesn't look like the world lost a classic.

Dr. Gonzo

^ Yeah. It quite literally looks like the sequel to Emperors Tomb in the sense that the game looks like it takes place right before Raiders, like Tomb took place right before Temple of Doom.

Indy Brazil

Looks like this video is related to this "secret game": http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=20892

Indy Brazil said:
20 Things You Never Knew Almost Happened in the Game Industry

19. Someone Worked on a Secret Indiana Jones Game

"Six or seven years back, I won't say who I was working for, but we were working on an Indiana Jones trilogy game based on the first three movies," says Rex Dickson, lead single-player level designer at Kaos Studios (Homefront). "That game ended up not coming out for whatever reason -- I can go on a long diatribe about why -- but it was just really cool, because we had the full Hovitos temple built out with the rolling boulder, and it was all awesome. That would've been Xbox/PS2 -- that generation."

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb was released seven years ago (2003) and we know that Collective Studios worked on a sequel that never happened sometime after ET shipped. Maybe it was this game?

The footage shows the Hovitos temple with the rolling boulder and characters from the original trilogy. I'm pretty sure they are the same thing.

I checked Rex Dickson's LinkedIn now and says he was lead designer on ?Indiana Jones Trilogy? for LucasArts at The Collective.

IndyBr

An Indy Trilogy for the ps2 could have been fun, Greatest Adventures for the Snes was neat. But I prefer an original adventure.

It's nice to see another Indy fan from Brasil. :whip:

JayDee

Indy Brazil: It seems that you are right. Didn´t know about this game. It just remembered me so much of ET, so I thought it was the sequel to it. I already changed the description.

Attila: I found this footage in a demo reel of a "retired" game designer. Pure luck...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JayDee said:
Attila: I found this footage in a demo reel of a "retired" game designer. Pure luck...

Very cool.

That LinkedIn info is interesting. The trilogy based game or levels notion has come up twice officially that we're aware of now, leaving aside the Lego games, obviously.

just dissapointing... thanks a lot for the info and pics tho... for thos of us who loved the infernal maching its just a major letdown.

Regards,

LJ

No Ticket

It disappoints me to no end how LucasArts has not made an Indiana Jones game that takes advantage of this generation's technology. The graphics, physics, etc. could elevate it to being better than another actual movie. We'd get the younger Harrison Ford. Ford should voice him. It could be epic. Think of how perfect the Arkham Batman games were. Yes, an Indiana Jones game could be that good.

I just don't understand why they won't make it happen. This gen is too late. If they want to do it now they should be working on nex-gen video game tech., which would be even better so why not?

Maybe they should just get Rocksteady studios to do it haha.

IndyBr

I've heard Star Wars is getting another game franchise... Why can't they do an Indy game for the ps3?
In the meantime I'm playing Uncharted... also, the new Tomb Raider game looks good so far. But what I really want is an Indy game, damn. :(

Vance

Grizzlor said:
So instead of a real-looking trilogy game, we got Lego Indiana Jones?

Don't knock it too hard, Lego Indiana Jones was an awesome game. (The second one was a bit weaker, though.)

Honestly, I don't know why, but it seems that Indy always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to LucasArts and doing games. Most of the games have been cancelled, and only a few of the ones to actually see release were good...

Grizzlor

Vance said:
Don't knock it too hard, Lego Indiana Jones was an awesome game. (The second one was a bit weaker, though.)

Honestly, I don't know why, but it seems that Indy always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to LucasArts and doing games. Most of the games have been cancelled, and only a few of the ones to actually see release were good...
Well they don't sell well, it's that simple.

Crack that whip

Vance said:

Seconded! LEGO Indy kicks butt (and that's true whether we're talking about videogames or the actual physical bricks, BTW ;) ).

Grizzlor said:
Well they don't sell well, it's that simple.

That's probably it. Or rather, they do sell, but just not in earth-shattering numbers. Undoubtedly it'd help if more of the games were good, of course (and I can't help but think the best versions of Staff of Kings would likely have been the two "flagship" versions that got cancelled). Still, they do at least one Indy game every so many years, so they obviously have some continued interest in at least trying. It's probably just really, really hard to do a game (especially a game based on a franchise from other media) that's as good as, say, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (for an obvious example).

micsteam

From what I understand, Staff of Kings was to be a much better quality and just a plain better game using a technology used in Force Unleashed and at the last minute Lucas backed out and decided not to finish it correctly or as planned and took what they had and made it into Staff. Should be called Staff infection !! I bought a PS2 just to play the game, LAME !!! Emperor's Tomb is still the best but how many times can you beat the game !!! Sorry, Lego Indy is great too just more for the kids, I only really play it when my 9 year old nephew and 5 year old neice come by.