Indiana Jones Adventure World

Icybro

Indy's on his way . . . ?

YMnIo.png

This letter showed up a week ago, but so far, I haven't seen Indy. Anybody else having better luck?

Icybro

InexorableTash said:
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Can you share other screenshots of your adventures so we can get a taste of the game?

Sure. Here's the screen that greets you once you log in:

EVTnc.jpg

This is your base camp. The big gold building is El Dorado, which I hope to unlock by completing adventures. Active adventures appear in the boxes on the left-hand side of the screen. Various status bars show up at the top of the screen. The blue bar shows experience points (XP), and the yellow bar below it shows energy. Just about every action of any consequence eats up one energy point, and the bar maxes out at about 30, so you can only play for maybe ten minutes before you run out of energy. (Energy regenerates at a rate of something like one every six minutes, so when you've run out, you can just take a break for a few hours and when you come back you'll be fully recharged.)

The boxes at the top are supplies, which you need to undertake adventures. You get them by contracting a supplier (the boats at the dock near the bottom-left).

The gold coins are the in-game currency, used to buy equipment (like dynamite and whip upgrades) and supplies. The stack of dollar bills, on the other hand, represents "Adventure cash," which costs real money (40 Adventure Bucks to a US dollar). You can use it to buy really powerful upgrades, or to skip difficult tasks. (Needless to say, Zynga won't get a dime from me.)

The bottom of the screen lists your friends. I've blacked out this section to protect the innocent. You can pester them for special items (like Milk, to feed the Sleepy Sloth, so he'll follow you back to your base camp). It also has the button for the map, from where you can choose your adventures:

o9PhR.png

The expeditions themselves are all pretty similar. You break rocks with your pickaxe, cut down bushes with your machete, and fight snakes/spiders/rams with your whip, all in the name of performing some specialized task (save the baby monkeys! move the snake eggs away from the village! bake some brownies!), collecting artifacts along the way.

Here are some baby monkeys:

mWinQ.png

That's pretty much it.

IndyJones5183

I love this game. I do play 2 Facebook games and yes it's Farmville and Adventure World.I love the feel to this game.It does remind me of the Indiana Jones Desktop Adventure Game,but with better graphics.I would recommend this game to anyone who hasn't played it yet.It's very addictive (in a good way).:whip:

LawgSkrak

Just started this. It's pretty fun. But why does it say "Indy is coming in October"? Is he gonna show up in the game?

And are they going to consider this game part of the "official" timeline? The storyline, I mean.

Icybro

So it's November, and Indy still hasn't shown up yet. The title screen graphic has been truncated: it now reads simply "Indy is coming!"

I did get a new letter from Indy today, saying that his plane went down near Havana, so it was going to take some time to get there. In the meantime, he's sending "an old friend," who's "as trustworthy as she is tough." I don't know who this is meant to refer to . . . It would be awesome if it were Marion, but my guess is it'll be some new Zynga creation with a cartoony name like "Rosie Roosevelt" or "Wanda Tenacious."

IAdventurer01

Attila the Professor said:
Well, this is interesting...

From Hal Barwood's website:

Wow, uh ... really? So can someone's who's played it tell us if this mindless social game actually has a compelling narrative? If so, I might have to give it a closer look.

Icybro

IAdventurer01 said:
Wow, uh ... really? So can someone's who's played it tell us if this mindless social game actually has a compelling narrative? If so, I might have to give it a closer look.

I'm still playing (and desperately clinging to the notion that Indy will show up, someday). I wouldn't call the threadbare narrative (perhaps more accurately described as narrative elements) particularly compelling. Every "adventure" has some little story (e.g. "poachers are kidnapping baby monkeys") that serves as a pretext for endless snake-whipping, and sometimes a story will spill over from one adventure to the next ("infiltrate the poachers' hideout!"). There are hints of a larger story when you interact with the other members of your team: aristocrat Trip Hawthorne is trying to impress historian Emily Haberdash, for example, and Professor Allen is trying to restore his reputation after some scandal in China. And then of course, there are Indy's infrequent letters: his plane went down near Havana, and now he's stuck there trying to sort out some vague trouble over a woman.

That's about it. (For now. But never forget: INDY IS COMING!!!!)

Icybro

The latest letter from Indy had me pretty upset. Remember, we've been told for weeks and weeks that he's on his way, and earlier letters served primarily to make excuses for why it was taking so long. Then, Zynga drops this:

bgYhS.png

The Jock reference gets a big thumbs up, of course, but what's this? Indy's NOT COMING?!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Why am I playing this stupid game again??

But then . . . I noticed the World Map now includes the following tab:

757GB.png

NICE. The tab's locked for now; I think I gotta beat the El Dorado mission to unlock it, which is definitely a few days off for me, at least. Anybody else there already?

GT Jones Jr.

I received an email by Zynga today about a sale on Adventure Cash, and this was included:

111322003413.jpg

I got bored of this game about three or four weeks ago and haven't played since. I'll check it out tomorrow to see what the whole "Indy is coming" thing is all about.

Icybro

GT Jones said:
I received an email by Zynga today about a sale on Adventure Cash, and this was included:

111322003413.jpg

I got bored of this game about three or four weeks ago and haven't played since. I'll check it out tomorrow to see what the whole "Indy is coming" thing is all about.

There's a trailer here:

Indiana Jones in Adventure World

Looks like Indy actually may be a playable character?

Indy's brother

It could just be my own misinformed fan-crazed opinion, but I think waiting 2 months to roll out Indy was at least a month too long. I've long since lost interest in this. Of course, since this type of gaming doesn't appeal to me anyway, perhaps even with the inclusion of the good Dr. right off the bat I would have moved on from it by now, regardless.

The Drifter

Indy's brother said:
It could just be my own misinformed fan-crazed opinion, but I think waiting 2 months to roll out Indy was at least a month too long. I've long since lost interest in this. Of course, since this type of gaming doesn't appeal to me anyway, perhaps even with the inclusion of the good Dr. right off the bat I would have moved on from it by now, regardless.

It doesn't appeal to me either.
I played Farmville and Frontierville for awhile, and swiftly grew bored. I've since never touched a game like this again.

IAdventurer01

"And we worked hard with Lucasfilm to get the character right. For example, he is afraid of snakes - just like in the films."

I see they're really drilling down to get the finer points. :rolleyes:

I agree that the Forrestal aspect is intriguing anyway. I'm hoping they treat this relatively untreaded territory well, though.