who wants a Raiders game?

spohlso

Von Beck said:
For the next level, how 'bout Nepal? I'm kinda busy to make up ideas at the moment.

Nepal could be done fairly easily. A straightforward combat level, just like in the movie. With one element to seperate it from your average combat level in a video game. Killing the bad guys is important, but protecting Marion is MORE important. Keep the level fairly small (Just Marion's bar and a little bit of exterior) and concentrate on the AI here. Don't just have Marion wander around. She WANTS to be safe, but the bad guys WANT to kill her (and you.) Put some real work into sub-routines that will generate realistic movement from the enemy AI and Marion AI in relation to your movement and the movement of themselves.

indydude

good idea, maybe Toht can be kind of a boss, once you take his health down to a certain point a cutscene shows him burn his hand on the medalion and exit the bar screaming. this level will be kind of a combat training level since there was not much combat in the first level.

spohlso

Yeah. A good way to get you used to the gun. As a matter of fact, as a training level it could follow the movie VERY closely. When the scene starts, Toht is about to give Marion a hot iron face lift. Instead of being a wild, guns blazing level, you have to learn how to use your whip accurately so Toht doesn't poke her with the poker.

Then maybe, you get pinned to the top of the bar so you can learn how to use some sort of 'struggle' combo to get out of the way of the oncoming flame.

Some basic shooting practise and some hand to hand practice. All specifically choreographed to resemble that scene instead of just wandering around killing like in most games.

indydude

and there would also be plenty of improvised weapons like in ET, so in the bar there would be plenty of booze to have fun with and maybe even a burning log like in the movie.

spohlso

Exactly. Use that scene in the film to show you how to pick up a chair and break it over someones head, shoot something that's on fire to spread fire, use flammable materials to your advantage (or disadvantage.) Cram as much learning as possible in, while keeping it looking as much like that scene in the movie as possible.

indydude

maybe if you throw wisky bottles at the fire it flames up for more of a dramatic battle, just to add a little bit of humor Marion can say funny things like "who is going to pay for all this!" or when you crack a whiskey bottle over an enemy's head she says "that is expensive stuff!"

indydude

Indy87 said:
why dont you just make a total conversion!

right now we are not planning on making a game, we are just pointlessly (well not pointlessly if Lucasarts reads this thread)talking about one, come on join the conversation, it's fun! do you have any ideas for a "Raiders" game Indy87? do you?

Indy87

yeah

a game that is based on Raiders

PS:You cant really go crazy with Raiders because you know the plot

indydude

before we start talking about Cairo I will put all our ideas into Nepal. A cinematic shows Marion winning a drinking game, Indy comes in and tells her he needs the headpiece to the staff of Ra, Marion tells him to come back later, he exits, Toht and his men come in and try to take the medalion by force. You go in the bar and pull out your whip, whip the fire poker out of Tohts hand, a cutscene shows the bar begin to catch on fire, now pull out a gun and begin blazing away, it is your mission to protect Marion so do not get carried away, when you are out of ammo use your fists or some of the many improvised weapons such as chairs, table legs, bottles etc. to subdue your enemies, once you have killed all of the bad guys and taken Toht's health down to a certain point a cutscene shows Toht grab the hot medalion, drop it and exit the bar screaming, as Indy and Marion run for the door, burning timbers block their path. find a board on the top of the roof and whip it to exit the bar, open the door from outside to let Marion out, you have beaten the Nepal level, a short but fun one. how does that sound? did my ending with the door blocked sound reasonable? ok, now we are ready too plan the next level, probably cairo.

Randy_Flagg

If LucasArts does read this thread, I really hope they don't consider it too seriously. I'd much rather see them put out an original game. Raiders has been done, and as Indy87 said, we all know what happens, and it wouldn't be worth spending $40 on (at least for me it wouldn't). There are some good ideas in this thread, and I'd prefer to see LucasArts use them towards an original Indy storyline (and yes, Marion and Sallah can be in an original story too.)

indydude

but we have already had so many original stories and they were all very predictable, don't you want to play the adventure that started it all? oh, and any ideas for Cairo?