The Perfect Indy Game

Katarn07

New Game Rumor

Well I'm excited for it. I loved ET's fist fights. But the shooting was awful and the rickshaw and gondala segments weren't anything compared to the thrills of the truck scene in RotLA, the mine cart chase in ToD, or any of the bits from LC.

If they could make this new one (if it is indeed coming) with action for the two weaknesses as thrilling as 007: Everything or Nothing (which had a terrible hand to hand combat system compared to ET), then it'll be the ultimate game!

I'm not overly concerned with the story as long as there are tons of secret areas for artifacts to be found in a multitude of exotic locales (a good story will be a bonus, I felt ET's was ok, kinda fell apart at the end but still enjoyable). I felt ET had enough variety of cool levels and hope this rumored one is just as good on that aspect :)

Post your thoughts! :D

I am also very excited for this game, if they ever decide to release it.
3 years was too long for me to wait for the next Indy game.

Katarn07

Well, LEC made a stupid move cancelling Sam and Max 2 and all they seem to be making are crappy original titles (well, there were some which I loved to death but that's another topic) or SW games which only sell because it says 'STAR WARS' on it (which for the most part usually suck compared to the classic SW games). Because of that, you can put the idea of this one being an adventure right outta your mind ;)

While I said SW seems to be their priority, ET got rather good reviews around the web so I have faith that if the rumor is true, it will not be cancelled :)

Tennessee R

I liked the general atmosphere of Infernal Machine,

The witty comments of Fate of Atlantis,

The logic, and dialogue of Last Crusade,

And the hand to hand combat of Emperor's Tomb.

I like the shooting of the PC version of 007|Nightfire.

The stealth of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Can they make a game with all of those elements in it?
I hope so.

Last edited:

nOOb

got a link to the rumor?

i agree about adding 007:EoN elements, there's some very-Indyish levels in that game.

(offtopic)

hi everyone, glad to see the Raven is back up! :)

I

Indy_Jones88

This is only my opinion

i think that the new game will happen, maybe not in the near future, but it will eventually happen. They should mix emperors tomb and everything or nothing. That would make the ultimate game ever.

The new game info is at www.theindyexperience.com

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I must be blind but I can't see where they talk about it at TIE.C.
If they make a new Indy game I only ask one thing: give it normal savegames and retarded consol-like ones!

I

Indy_Jones88

maybe im wrong about it being at theindyexperience.com, srry if i am. I look at about 5 indy pages 5-7 times a day so they all get blury lol. It didnt say much about it other than there is a rumor.

Katarn07

I saw it on the Raider a couple of days ago. My Dad directed me to the story and he saw it on TIE.

It doesn't say anything of worth other than that LEC is developing it, it isn't being shown at E3, and they're just in the initial creation of it and have some concept art/ story going.

Glad you all feel a mix between ET and EoN would make for an awesome gaming experience :)

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
They're making it console only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That just really sux!!!!!!!!!
I thought we had touched the bottom with ET, it seems not!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Katarn07

I don't get why they don't put it on the PC. I'm sure if it is gonna be like EoN, the controls would practically be impossible to do with a keyboard and mouse.

Of course, this whole thing being anything like EoN is just wishful thinking. But the fact it's console only makes me think that. Hey, I've got an XBOX so I'm not complaining but I do regret developers don't publish games on all platforms. Who's got the money or even the will to get all the consoles and a PC just to play certain games?

Finn

Staff member
What they should do is an action/adventure game mix-up. I mean, adventure secquences in true adv-game fashion, some action levels á la ET thrown between them. There's the Indy game I'd be biting my fingers off while waiting to get to play.

Katarn07

Umm, didn't they try that with one of the versions of LC back in the '90s and didn't it fail miserably? That's a rhetorical question by the way.

Yeah, with that version of LC's flop and the fact Sam and Max 2 was cancelled (as I posted above), I doubt that'll happen. I frankly don't want it to be an adventure game. I want it to be pure action. If I want adventure, I'll stick to the comedies of Sam and Max or Monkey Island thankyou ;)

Finn

Staff member
I don't mean a solid mixture. I want part of the game to be in true adventure fashion and then, these sections made with a separate engine if necessary, action.

Of course, you young rackheads with no patience might enjoy that all quick pace, but if we're looking for a game that's supposed to capture the TRUE essence of Indy, there has to be adventure included. Indy isn't Rambo, as much as you may enjoy playing the man with the hat as the muscle killer's second cousin.

Junior Jones

There definitely has to be an adventure element. If you want to run around and shoot people, there are lots of games you can do that in. It's the adventure that sets Indy apart.

Katarn07

Junior Jones said:
There definitely has to be an adventure element. If you want to run around and shoot people, there are lots of games you can do that in. It's the adventure that sets Indy apart.

Hehe, you and I aren't old enough to understand what Finn meant by that unless you play older games (like myself). The adventure genre of games is a point and click thing where a character walks around and you look for items and talk to people and get different options of dialogue and pretty much all you do is solve puzzles. It may sound boring but it is actually quite a fun thing to play. LEC has the entire Monkey Island series for sale, you should try it out ;)

And Finn, I just feel it'd slow the Indy game down if you were to implement an action game with an adventure game. There were a few puzzles in ET like the Clock in Prague. I thought that was a spectaular puzzle and I really felt like Indy doing that. So yes, I'd agree with you that more stuff like that is needed but I don't feel dialogue options are necessary.

Oh, and could we make it a bit more adult and not have Indy say 'heck' ever again. That just sounded stupid when he says it :p

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Personally, I think a game based on the Knights of the Old Republic engine would do wonders for a re-playable game. The ability to slightly change the outcome of the game based on reactions to what your response it to a particular NPC. Think Fate of Atlantis, but with 3D action and enviroment.

To be honest, I never actually beat ET because I got frustrated with the controls (both XBOX and PC versions), and the lack of change from level to level...kill baddie, jump big holes, kill baddies...same old, same old.

Finn

Staff member
I'd say put more on exploring and less on Indy beating people up. In Raiders, for example... Indy uses his gun in total two scenes. He fights with his fists in four scenes... see where I'm going? The murder party Dr. Jones likes to keep up in his games is just not right. Indy is not the type of fellow who ends up kicking butt after just turning a corner. What they should figure out is the way Indy could <i>avoid</i> dangers... a system with "Indy moves" mite be cool. (EoN fans know what I'm talking about.)

More elements in similar to the movies. The last secquence does not have to happen in an alternate dimension... and we definitely are going to need a scene that indicates Indy got laid! Raiders and LC have one... (of course, THIS does not have to be a playable secquence).

Now, a game like KotOR, with different planets just replaced with adventurous locations... (and a good plot to tie them together, not just "you found item A, now you must travel to place X to reclaim item B")... and we might have a winner in our hands. KotOR is widely appraised game. Give Indy the chance to do the same, since he's really up to it. This kind of game does not fit for all action heroes (like James Bond for example), but this sounds exactly like it for Indy. Of course, the character development has to be cut down seriously since Indy with random pickable abilities sounds just rather silly, we all know his can-do's and can't-do's... but the playing concept would be close to perfect for him.

Last edited:

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
What else is great is with a KotR engine is that Indy doesn't have that many speaking parts since the choices would be given to the player and thus they would "assume" that he spoke them. The only scenes where Indy needs to speak would be the cutscenes where the main story arc progresses.