The Perfect Indy Game

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Ah KOTOR, I hadn't played such a good game in soooooo long. Althought The RPG concept might fit Indy, I hardly see how you could adapt KOTOR to Indy. Because the combat system simply isn't fun with only one character and all the game is pretty much based on team strategy combat with of course many exploration phases. I'd go for an Indy RPJ similar to the game "Pirates of the Caribean" which has real time combat and occasional team management.

Katarn07

KotOR = Best Game Ever
KotOR2: Sith Lords = Most Anticipated Game Ever

I seriously can't wait for it to come out! I'm going nuts over here. Although BioWare has nothing to do with it's development, my gut tells me that it is going to be better than the original.

But as much as I like KotOR, I don't think I'd enjoy an Indy RPG. It's gotta be an action game. If there's some adventure elements thrown into the mix, fine, so be it. I still say it'd slow it down a bit but then an Indy RPG would just be flat out boring.

You need a strong story and an original character (usually one that the player created) for an RPG to be effective along with some party members to interact with and learn about. I've never played Pirates of the Caribbean but I believe the developers of Morrowind did that game and I hate Morrowind.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I don't want an Indy RPG...after all the need to upgrade the character isn't important and thus removed. The perfect game would be the KotR engine mixed with the Slayer engine (used to make IJET). So the fighting element would be there along with the adventure part.

Katarn07

Strider said:
I seem to be missing something. They're making a new Indy game?

It's only a rumor. Check the previous posts, I believe someone finally found the news story. I couldn't find it when I posted this thread ;)

Tennessee R

Finn said:
I'd say put more on exploring and less on Indy beating people up. In Raiders, for example... Indy uses his gun in total two scenes. He fights with his fists in four scenes... see where I'm going? The murder party Dr. Jones likes to keep up in his games is just not right. Indy is not the type of fellow who ends up kicking butt after just turning a corner. What they should figure out is the way Indy could <i>avoid</i> dangers... a system with "Indy moves" mite be cool. (EoN fans know what I'm talking about.)

More elements in similar to the movies. The last secquence does not have to happen in an alternate dimension... and we definitely are going to need a scene that indicates Indy got laid! Raiders and LC have one... (of course, THIS does not have to be a playable secquence).

Now, a game like KotOR, with different planets just replaced with adventurous locations... (and a good plot to tie them together, not just "you found item A, now you must travel to place X to reclaim item B")... and we might have a winner in our hands. KotOR is widely appraised game. Give Indy the chance to do the same, since he's really up to it. This kind of game does not fit for all action heroes (like James Bond for example), but this sounds exactly like it for Indy. Of course, the character development has to be cut down seriously since Indy with random pickable abilities sounds just rather silly, we all know his can-do's and can't-do's... but the playing concept would be close to perfect for him.

Great post, Finn.
That would make a spectacular game.
I would like dialogue paths.
And adventure.

But a little brawling would be nice.

Katarn07

I'd be content with a whole game based off of ET's engine truth be told, but if the change is a welcome one I'll be happy.

Aaron's description isn't that bad of what you guys mean. A 3D adventure game would be an LEC first. I hope that Indy's voice is as decent as ET. I thought that that voice actor did a wonderful job.

Now that we've talked about the game engine and the mechanics and what we'd all like to see and not see, what would you like in terms of story? Do we want Nazis again? How about the super natural aspect? What culture's ancient history would you like to explore? What locales do you wanna traverse?

Well, I'm not into World History so I can't quite comment on what culture I want to see. I am not a fan of Asian history or martial arts so I didn't find ET's later levels as appealing as the earlier ones.

I did enjoy the Nazi's having a role in it but perhaps it was too big of a role. I think they should definately have a prescence in the new game but maybe not so big of one.

I did not like the supernatural aspect in ET at all. The Mirror of Dreams was cool how it revealed certain stuff the naked eye couldn't see, but the Netherworld, those spirits, and Ming Lei and the bad guy turning into Dragons and all was stupid. I don't want that in there.

Now for the areas we get to play in! I for one would love to walk around Indy's college or Brody's museum. That'd be an awesome prologue level in which maybe something is stolen and needs to be recovered but it turns out the stolen item is really just a piece needed to uncover a bigger and better artifact. Unoriginal? Yes, but it'd be fun. There could be a street chase in an American city as well if there are vehicle scenes in it.

Other areas that would be cool? Hrm, I can't name specific countries or regions but I can say the terrain that'd be cool: Jungle, Desert, Mountains, Swamp, and Tundra.

Post your thoughts! :)

mayhew7

i have never played ET mainy because my PC isnt up to it but i still play Infernal Machine and Fate of Atlantis once every month or so and would like to see a new Indy Game soon which could be a cross between Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine if possible, i would also like to see an Indy game on the Gameboy Advance so i could play Indy while on the move i know Infernal Machine was released on the GBC but finding a copy is in my town is hard

anyway lets hope LucasArts get busy with the NEW game and LucasFilms get busy with the Film :)

Katarn07

I was thinking of the ancient culture that should be the focus and I think mythology (Greek, preferably) would be good but did FoA touch on that already? I've never played it so I wouldn't know.

I feel Egypt and South American tribes are overdone in all adventure stuff so I hope they don't even consider that as the main artifact origin.

Tennessee R

One of the locations on Fate of Atlantis is Knossos, Crete, so, a bit of Greece has been used.

I am in the process of playing Syberia II
It reminds me of FoA a lot. Pretty good so far. That might make a fairly interesting Indy game, it has dialogue choice, etc. and is a point and click adventure.

Finn

Staff member
I'd love to see Indy up north. Siberian tundra, Alaskan forests or the fjords of Scandinavia are places the man with the hat has not explored that much. All there was in games at least is a brief visit to Iceland in FoA. Deserts and jungles are pretty much used up, so maybe there could be at least something Indy might find worth visiting for?

Katarn07

Oh yeah, I want to traverse the jungles and deserts bust just hope the bulk of the story doesn't take place there.

And I got to thinking: What about Norse mythology? That'd take place up north.

Finn

Staff member
Norses are good. Also, Siberia is full of legends and other spooky things like shamans and stuff like that might suite Dr. Jones' CV. Then, possibly some Inuit legends?

Katarn07

Those all sound great. :)

I have another thing I'd like to see in this game that ET was missing: MARCUS! I'd love to have Marcus along for a part of the ride, or at the very least with me in the college and/ or museum.

Also, in terms of the 'Indy Girl' or even a sidekick accompanying you, AI needs to be improved from ET. In Istanbul, for example, Ming Lei would sometimes knock a thug into me and injure me or worse, knock me off the rooftop!

Redwall

I'd love a Norse game, as long as Indy doesn't go after Thor's Hammer. Which turns out to be a device designed to protect humans from evil aliens from another dimension.

(seriously, what is with the LucasArts guys and other dimensions?)

I'd like to see a game without those stupid bosses (Frankenstein??) and more archaeology and story. Like, say... Fate of Atlantis.

Of course, such a game would undoubtedly be cancelled halfway through due to "current market conditions..."

Finn

Staff member
Don't you say it.

In simple words, what we need is a game that works after Indy's character, not Indy that works after the game mechanics.

And cut down on beat- and shoot'em'up and fill them with other aspects known from Indy movies, that's my main thesis. Now... if those game developers just would actually <i>read</i> these damn boards.

Katarn07

Frankenstein didn't make much sense to me and was quite bizarre. It's my least favorite thing that was in Prague. But we need a boss like that which you can't kill the conventianal way. And his face has to look like Pat Roach's this time :p

I wouldn't know about the IM ending, but I heard it was worse than ET's in terms of non-Indyish alternate dimensions. Yeah, we can lose the other dimension aspect all together. Been there, done that, and hated it.

Redwall

Yeah, the Aetherium was worse, because it was an alien world (as opposed to the spiritual world of the Netherworld).

I think something Indy developers could do (as opposed to the things which would be contrary to "current market conditions") would be to have Indy just go after one artifact/place instead of the whole box set.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Indy should come to Finland. How about the Suomenlinna fortress, Finn? With full of Commies?