The Perfect Indy Game

Finn

Staff member
Nah... not Viapori. But if it's going to take place in post-WW II... Porkkala is the place!

(Or Viapori could be cool as well... there'd be a big underground secret dungeon where some Swedish nobleman has hidden an artefact Indy needs for his quest... and I guess we could let the commies in, otherwise it would be so boooooring!)

Last edited:

nOOb

Finn said:
I'd love to see Indy up north. Siberian tundra, Alaskan forests or the fjords of Scandinavia are places the man with the hat has not explored that much. All there was in games at least is a brief visit to Iceland in FoA. Deserts and jungles are pretty much used up, so maybe there could be at least something Indy might find worth visiting for?

eh, in IM Indy visits Kazakistan. there's two levels set in a snow-covered mountain range, you navigate a frozen river and explore a Zoroastrian (sp?) temple.

Finn

Staff member
Yeah, but that's middle Asian mountain setting... not that different from the visit in Nepal from Raiders. What I mean is the real up north. It's something Indy really hasn't visited.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I just got a cool idea. Indy could slip into one of Stalin's prison camps in Siberia.

Finn

Staff member
Now, that sounds something more like James Bond, not Indy would do... unless Stalin had dug a secret underground chamber under that camp and hidden the Romanov's stolen treasures there.

Katarn07

Or perhaps he has to save the girl?

I'm all for the Nazis, not the Commis, but I guess it'd be fun to beat up either group :p

SigmaEcho

Anyone who's experienced either FoA or KotOR knows what an adventure element can do for a game. Everyone here who wants the next Indy game to be JUST action is out of their minds. Action games are very limited in what they can provide, as demonstrated in the last two indy games. ET was a vast improvement over the poor excuse for a game IM was. But I found both games fell into tedium with their excruciatingly long levels and uncompelling plots.

Even the movies themselves are a perfect balance of sharp dialogue, action and adventure. The perfect Indy game would follow suit. Take the adventure/dialogue elements from FoA and combine them with the modern KotR design. Then rip out the horrible RPG fighting and replace it with an improved ET fighting engine.

And the most important element of all: Write a plot worthy of the name Indiana Jones. The next game desperately needs a cinema quality presentation: 1. Pre-rendered cut scenes [take a look at what lucasarts did with "bounty hunter" and then look at the crappy cut scenes we got for ET] I think we deserve something on par with the best cut scenes being produced for video games these days, e.g. Warcraft III, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Onimusha III, etc... as these games have to live up to the movies that we know and love. 2. Cinema-quality dialogue. Westwood hired real screenwriters when they made "Blade Runner" why do we deserve simple one-liners? The potential is going unutilized. 3. I can't stress this enough: a plot worthy of the name Indiana Jones. The Indy games are the only narrative manifestation of Indy still being produced these days, and I for one need my Indy fix.

There are plenty of straight action games out there, we don't need any more of them. I refused to accept that only action games can be successful these days. Just look at KotOR! An Indy game that is a synthesis of the elements I listed would not only make for a groundbreaking game that breaks convention, not only be an awesome Indy game, but also A HUGE SUCCESS. Lucasarts has proven that they can make quality games. I for one would like to see some investment in their most neglected franchise.

Last edited:

Katarn07

That's pretty much been posted. Most people here agree with that but personally I'm all for the action. I don't see an epic story coming from Indy outside of the movies, personally so it won't have that grand story. I'll accept some decent enough, LEC written story that will have the exotic locales for me to traverse Tomb Raider style. I wanna be swinging around and what not; not talking to some villagers on what to do next....

That's just me, of course ;)

SigmaEcho

Does anyone else think that an Indy game isn't capable of providing an "epic" story on par with the films? I for one think that video games are only limited by the designer's imagination.

A game can even go beyond the films with the unlimited possiblities of non-linear gameplay. e.g. Wouldn't you love to see a full-3D Raiders game where you can literally do anything, and their are multiple ways to beat the game? Imagine an interactive what-if movie, where the player decides ALL of indy's choices, not just if he should use his revolver or pull out his whip.

I

Indy_Jones88

I agree sigma. Just think about it. Not knowing what to do from a movie. You beat the game the way you think Indy would. There could be 20 ways to beat it and countless ways to lose. The replayability would be very good. (Emerors Tomb was great but only 1 time through.)

Katarn07

There wouldn't be that many ways to replay it but I'd still probably play it just as much.

The problem with RPGs and adventures for me is the replayability is awful. It's the same old thing, only a few different takes on the story here and there and the occasional alternate ending. ET is actually my favorite game to replay currently on my XBOX because I can just jump into any chapter and start the action and adventure that is Indiana Jones.

KotOR is still one of my favorite games of all time, but I only played through it all the way once. I had another character going until someone accidently deleted that save game from my XBOX's harddrive :(

I

Indy's_main_man

We need a Raiders game on Xbox n PC. Everything you saw in the movie jumping to life b4 ur eyes.

Johan

they need to make a new game that is like how they made the Lord Of the Rings video game, where we are actually playing out the entire movie scene by scene with videos in between....this would ROCK!!!

Finn

Staff member
IndyJohan said:
Can there ever be such thing as a perfect Indy game...honestly...I think not
There is one already.

And those who know me well enough can guess the title without me having to tell it.

whipem

I posted this in "what would you like in a new indy game?":

I would really like to be able to play bonus levels after beating the game. However, these levels should actually be scenes from the films (the flying wing, mine cart chase, and Brunwald castles would be good candidates). Also, it would be nice to have several driving levels (but not like in Enter the Matrix ). Maybe, just maybe, you could also play as different characters. For instance, you could play stealth levels as a somewhat sneakier character (Short Round, perhaps?).

Katarn07

What were the driving levels in Enter the Matrix like? I liked the driving bits in EoN alot, especially when all you did was raced other people! Cool twist to an action game IMO.