Fate of Atlantis hints and tech help

IndyBuff

I was just about to recommend SCUMMVM but Finn beat me to it. I couldn't get my version to work in Windows until it was mentioned here. It's a great system and the game has worked fine for me ever since.:)

Abe Vayoda

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Forgotten how much fun I used to have with this game. Trying to go the wits path this time round (first time used the fists path.)

Finn

Staff member
Indybuff said:
I was just about to recommend SCUMMVM but Finn beat me to it. I couldn't get my version to work in Windows until it was mentioned here. It's a great system and the game has worked fine for me ever since.
Yep, there's no underlining how great SCUMMVM actually is. I think one of the best things with this program is that it can practically run ANY version of a game it supports no matter for which OS it was designed for and what your actual system is. I got, for example, a Win version of FoA running in Ubuntu Linux without a single problem at all.

Paden

Finn said:
Yep, there's no underlining how great SCUMMVM actually is.
I'd have to second that sentiment. If you're a fan of any of the imagintive titles from that era of adventure gaming, SCUMMVM is a dream come true. If you like Fate of Atlantis, you might give Beneath a Steel Sky a try. A very cool cyberpunk flavored game with strong doses of humor. Best of all, the developer has released it as freeware. You can download it from the same page where you can pick up the SCUMMVM engine.

TOHTER

Fate of Atlantis Help. Stuck at the Dig Site!

Help! How do I get the gas into the generator to turn on the lights? Im at the dig site. I have the gas filled jar and trying to get it into the generator but its just not working. Where is the gas filler pipe? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Michael24

playing "Fate of Atlantis" on Windows XP

A few years ago, I dug FATE OF ATLANTIS out again because I never did finish it when it was new and installed it on my computer. I now had Windows XP, and it wouldn't work properly. I asked around and was told to try a program called ScummMV(sp?) that was designed to make old LucasArts games playable on new computer systems. It worked and I was able to get farther in the game than I ever had before, all the way to Atlantis. But then I reached one area where the game would shut down and kick me out whenever I made Indy try to walk into the next room.

Could this have been a problem on ScummMV's part? Has anybody else who used that program experienced that? I would love to get the game to work again on my computer because I've always enjoyed playing it.

Finn

Staff member
Is your FoA the version with full speech? Since there's been some crashes reported when certain lines are spoken. The result most often is a badly uncompressed .sou file.

Also... you DO have the newest version of ScummVM, right?

Michael24

Yeah, it was the CD-ROM version with spoken dialogue. Never had a problem when lines were spoken, though. Just that one area where Indy would walk through a doorway, and the game would close down.

It was a few years ago that I had that problem so I'm sure it's a outdate version of ScummVM now. I haven't tried it again recently. Someone once told me there was an older version of ScummVM that was incomplete and thus wouldn't let players reach the end of the game. Do you have a link to where I could find the latest version?

Michael24

Thanks. But on the Compatibility Page it says only 95% complete for FATE OF ATLANTIS. So does that mean I won't be able to actually finish the game, just 95% of it? It seems like that might have been the problem a few years ago, because I'm pretty sure I was right at the end of the game when I started experiencing problems.

Falcon

I play it on a Window XP computer using "LEC Quick and Easy". It works great! I've never had any problems playing Fate of Atlantis, except for an occasional freeze. But I just press F1 and Save, then F1 again and Load, and I'm back in business where I left off.

Finn

Staff member
Michael24 said:
Thanks. But on the Compatibility Page it says only 95% complete for FATE OF ATLANTIS. So does that mean I won't be able to actually finish the game, just 95% of it?
Heh, even though I can see the logic behind this statement, it still kind of amuses me. In reality, it means that you have a 5% chance of experiencing a (any kind, not game-stopping) bug while playing this game. As you can see, no game gets 100%. What would be the point with them even having this piece of software available if it would keep people from finishing their favorite AGs?

Michael24

I just wasn't sure about the details of ScummVM. It looked like maybe the program was just being gradually expanded to cover the whole game or something.

But I downloaded it and tried it, and the game worked. I'll have to wait to get back to Atlantis to see what happens again.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Try loading a previous game and try with that one, or start the game again with a fresh install of the latest version. I've had some ScummVM errors with saved games which push out the console and freeze the game, then I just load an earlier save.