The Western Movie Thread

PhantomStranger

Hey Everyone,

Lets get right to the point, I love westerns, along with horror/fantasy ,it's my favorite genre. Movies. books TV shows.I enjoy them all.
In fact I always thought that, had Harrison Ford become a movie star a couple of decades earlier, he would have made a great western actor.
So I thought I would make a kind of combination "Western appreciation/ What was the last western you watched" thread.
So if there are any other fans here, what are your favorites? And have you seen any recently?
Here are my top 15 (I couldn't stop at ten) favorites, as well as the latest film I've seen:

1."The Good The Bad and The Ugly"- Clint Eastwood
2. "The Searchers"- John Wayne
3."The Magnificent Seven"-Yul Brynner
4."For A Few Dollars More"-Eastwood
5.Rio Bravo" -Wayne
6."Winchester "73"-James Stewart
7."Silverado" -Scott Glenn
8." Lonesome Dove"- Robert Duvall
9."High Plains Drifter"- Eastwood
10."3:10 to Yuma"- Glen Ford (the original film, but the remake is great)
11."Tombstone"- Kurt Russell
12. "The Quick and The Dead"-Sharon Stone
13."Red River" -Wayne
14."The Outlaw Josey Wales"- Eastwood
15."The Man From Laramie"- James Stewart

and this was today's film:
:gun:
Cowboy" (1958)
-Glenn Ford. Jack Lemmon

Chicago hotel clerk Frank Harris dreams of life as a cowboy, and he gets his chance when, jilted by the father of the woman he loves, he joins Tom Reece and his cattle-driving outfit. Soon, though, the tenderfoot finds out life on the range is not what he expected

This is a great movie. As usual Glenn Ford give a terrific performance as the tough trail boss who takes the young tenderfoot under his wing.
Fine performance from Jack Lemmon as the young Hotel clerk, who goes from tenderfoot to cowboy.

Rent "The Jack Bull" if you can find it.... It's fantastic.

Almost "Unforgiven" kinda fantastic....

John Carpenter maintains that all his movies are Westerns, on one level or another... LOL

San Holo

The Jack Bull is a great one(y)
The last western I watched was one of Eastwood's spagettis', I think it was For a Few Dollars More. It begins with the man with no name riding into town on a broke-down mule, and being laughed at by 6 gunmen. What follows is one of my favorite scenes from any movie:D
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ldZxQ3Md70"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ldZxQ3Md70" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Michael24

Some of my favorites are THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN and RETURN OF THE SEVEN (which I actually liked more than the first), EL DORADO, WINCHESTER '73, SILVERADO, HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER, WYATT EARP, THE QUICK AND THE DEAD (Sam Raimi one), THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, SHANE, THE TRAIN ROBBERS, and MCKENNA'S GOLD.

But OPEN RANGE has become my favorite western of all time.

PhantomStranger said:
In fact I always thought that, had Harrison Ford become a movie star a couple of decades earlier, he would have made a great western actor.

Yeah, was always disappointed he never did more. Besides his guest spots on GUNSMOKE and such, I thought he looked right at home in a Western when he did THE FRISCO KID with Gene Wilder. I once heard Ford was trying to develop a pet project about the creation of the West's first railroad. I wonder whatever became of it?

PhantomStranger

San Holo said:
The Jack Bull is a great one(y)
The last western I watched was one of Eastwood's spagettis', I think it was For a Few Dollars More. It begins with the man with no name riding into town on a broke-down mule, and being laughed at by 6 gunmen. What follows is one of my favorite scenes from any movie:D
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ldZxQ3Md70"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ldZxQ3Md70" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The movie was "A Fistful Of Dollars" the first of the Man With No Name trilogy(y)

HovitosKing

I like...

3:10 to Yuma (2007)
Tombstone
Young Guns I and II
Good, Bad, Ugly
Unforgiven
Back to the Future III?
Open Range

Not necessarily in that order, but there's no real "order"

Katarn07

I'm popping in just to say westerns are one of my least favorite genres, and I think the fact all the old TV shows back in the day were westerns, crummy ones at that!

I enjoyed Unforgiven (though wasn't really blown away by it either) and am dying to see 3:10 to Yuma.

Niteshade007

My favorites are Tombstone and High Noon. I also really like Lonsome Dove. Technically, it's a mini-series, but still worth the viewing.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I adore the genre, but that's probably because I view them more as an ongoing project to articulate whatever the hell America is than as a source of action.

As for favorites:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Searchers, Fort Apache (these all being Ford - and any of his, really, let's be serious), Once Upon a Time in the West, High Noon...these are all fairly obvious choices. Could conceivably throw The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in there, or The Wild Bunch, The Ox-Bow Incident, and Bad Day at Black Rock, for a modern Western.

roundshort

1-The Man with no man trilogy - a fist full of dollars, a few dollars more, Good bad Ugly
2-High Plains Drifter
3-The Wild Bunch
4-Pale Rider/Shane
5-Mag. seven
6-Rio bravo
7-The Cowboys, I know it is hokey, but they the kids kill a lot of bad guys
8-The Searchers
9-Silverado - still haeva soft spot for this from when I was a kid
10- Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

San Holo

My top movies would be-
1) the Searchers(a true masterpiece, Ford's finest work)
2) Rio Bravo(this one can be described in 1 word-cool-reminds me of how a Tarantino western would be...minus a Gimp or two)
3) the Man who Shot Liberty Valence
4) Hondo in 3D(does anyone remember this from the 80's?)
5) Shane
6) the Outlaw Josey Wales
7) the Long Riders
8) Young Guns(has perhaps the mast bada$$ shootout scene)
9) Cheyenne Autumn
10) Lonesome Dove(all of the books were great, check 'em out if you can)
11) Red River
12) Fess Parker's Adventures of Davy Crockett
13) Big Jake
14) Maverick
15) Shanghai Noon
16) High Plains Drifter, and all of the Eastwood's spagettis

What are some of your favorite tv shows?
1) Deadwood
2) the Rifleman
3) the Lone Ranger
4) Bonanza
5) Gunsmoke
6) Little House(yeah, I said it)

PhantomStranger

Today's movie:

"The Proud Ones" (1956)
-Robert Ryan, Virginia Mayo. Jeffery Hunter

A fearless marshal clashes with a misguided cowboy, a ruthless saloonkeeper, and the indifferent citizenry as he struggles to maintain law and order in a quiet Kansas frontier town which is transformed into a riotous boomtown with the arrival of the first trail herds from Texas on the newly-completed railroad.

Good solid western adventure. Good acting and action. Nothing classic just a fine movie:gun:

HovitosKing

Not quite a Western, but I liked the Alamo (2004). Of course, I'm somewhat biased as I'm a Texan, but there it is.

San Holo

HovitosKing said:
Not quite a Western, but I liked the Alamo (2004). Of course, I'm somewhat biased as I'm a Texan, but there it is.
Yup, that was a pretty good flick- Billy Bob did a good job filling Davy's shoes, and Jason Patrick was great at Bowie. I really dug the old John Wayne version of the Alamo too, he built a life sized version(in Brackettville TX) of the old mission and the town of San Antonio. I remember going there as a kid, it was really cool(y) .

PhantomStranger

Today's movie:

"Rough Night In Jericho" (1967)
-Dean Martin, George Peppard

A former deputy and a strong-willed widow determine to stop a ruthless town boss.

Well made movie. Good plot, good acting, Good action and it was interesting to Dean Martin as a villain.:whip:

PhantomStranger

Today's movie:

"Crossfire Trail" (2001)
-Tom Selleck

Tom Selleck stars as Rafe Covington who has made a promise to a dying friend to look after his ranch and his wife (Virginia Madsen) after he is gone. Along with his two pals (David O'Hara, Christian Kane), Covington sets up shop on said ranch. Joining the trio is crusty old Wilford Brimley (barely recognizable) as a former ranch hand. Unfortunately, villain Mark Harmon also has designs on the aforementioned ranch and widow. When Selleck proves to be a formidable opponent, Harmon brings in gunfighter Brad Johnson to settle things which of course, leads to the inevitable showdown

very well made cable TV movie. Nice action, acting and scenery.:gun: