Anybody who still thinks Harrisons age is an issue...

Udvarnoky

Nope. I also can't think of a series better suited to breaking new ground in the action/adventure genre than this one.

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
Nope. I also can't think of a series better suited to breaking new ground in the action/adventure genre than this one.

Something to aspire to perhaps... but not very likely given that KOTCS didn't look to break any new ground. I'd be happy with an Indy V that wasn't specifically designed to appeal to mass audiences, but instead tried to re-invent itself, addressed Indy's age a la Unforgiven, The Shootist etc. but I think Lucas, Spielberg and Ford will always naturally gravitate to a more populist vision of their creation. I definitely think there is potential for another really good quality Indy movie with Ford in role... I just think the opportunity has gone for something that can dig much deeper whilst generating mass appeal in the same way the originals did. :(

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
Something to aspire to perhaps...

It would be a worthy aspiration.

...but not very likely given that KOTCS didn't look to break any new ground.

And yes, to me KOTCS looked comfortable with going tiredly over old ground.

Darth Vile said:
I'd be happy with an Indy V that wasn't specifically designed to appeal to mass audiences, but instead tried to re-invent itself, addressed Indy's age a la Unforgiven, The Shootist etc. but I think Lucas, Spielberg and Ford will always naturally gravitate to a more populist vision of their creation. I definitely think there is potential for another really good quality Indy movie with Ford in role... I just think the opportunity has gone for something that can dig much deeper whilst generating mass appeal in the same way the originals did. :(

Yes, yes, and yes.

The alternative to such a concept is a horror show that will have even more of us putting our faces into our palms in disbelief.

All we realistically have left is places like this in which to imagine a better future, which we are most unlikely to see produced by the beards.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
It would be a worthy aspiration.

And yes, to me KOTCS looked comfortable with going tiredly over old ground.

Yes, yes, and yes.

The alternative to such a concept is a horror show that will have even more of us putting our faces into our palms in disbelief.

All we realistically have left is places like this in which to imagine a better future, which we are most unlikely to see produced by the beards.

I think it's highly likely that if Indy V gets made soon, it has a good chance of being a better pitched, more self-assured movie than KOTCS was... if only for the fact that Lucas/Spielberg may find more of a natural groove after testing the water with 'Skull'. I still doubt very much it will be a ground breaker though. I doubt that it even has the potential to be a ground breaker.

Indy's brother

Darth Vile said:
I think it's highly likely that if Indy V gets made soon, it has a good chance of being a better pitched, more self-assured movie than KOTCS was... if only for the fact that Lucas/Spielberg may find more of a natural groove after testing the water with 'Skull'. I still doubt very much it will be a ground breaker though.

Agreed.

Darth Vile said:
I doubt that it even has the potential to be a ground breaker.

Disagree.

And now, back to the slideshow:

Yesterday at the Golden Globes
harrison_ford_calista_flockhart_640_f_pix.jpg

Go to youtube and watch interviews with Harrison from 2011.

Then watch ones from 2001/2.

In the past decade he has stopped looking like Indiana Jones.

No Ticket

Darth Vile said:
I think it's highly likely that if Indy V gets made soon, it has a good chance of being a better pitched, more self-assured movie than KOTCS was... if only for the fact that Lucas/Spielberg may find more of a natural groove after testing the water with 'Skull'. I still doubt very much it will be a ground breaker though. I doubt that it even has the potential to be a ground breaker.

A little late to the party here, but I agree to a lot of what Vile said. Unfortunately I feel like the time to make Indiana Jones movies has past, even if I really actually WANT to see another. Everyone's already said most of what I would say, I'm just agreeing here.

But if they DO make Indy 5:

They need to address his age, but not dampen his spirit. Indy doesn't go looking for trouble, it just finds him... he wouldn't actively fight people at his age if he didn't really have to. Put him in situations where he is absolutely forced to fight, despite knowing his age limits and the audience will be more inclined to believe that he is doing it in the first place.

Like with the Nazi mechanice... The same way he couldn't REALLY hurt him, he got lucky. I think that's the kind of thing an old Indy would run into. He would have to use his wits to try and stop them... he would TRY to use his brawn but obviously he's getting too old for it... and in the end he'd just freaking get lucky. They could make it both humorous and more honest. Indy has always been, imo, more about getting lucky and having the will to fight even though he is not necessarily the best fighter then actually being really strong.

Indy's brother

No Ticket said:
They need to address his age, but not dampen his spirit. Indy doesn't go looking for trouble, it just finds him... he wouldn't actively fight people at his age if he didn't really have to.

Isn't he kind of already like that?

No Ticket said:
Like with the Nazi mechanice... The same way he couldn't REALLY hurt him, he got lucky. I think that's the kind of thing an old Indy would run into. He would have to use his wits to try and stop them... he would TRY to use his brawn but obviously he's getting too old for it... and in the end he'd just freaking get lucky. They could make it both humorous and more honest.

Like the entire warehouse bit? Drug there against his will, getting lucky when his chips were down with the rocket sled? These things were done in KOTCS, but they had gone just past believability. With some of the acrobatic stunts, and of course, the fridge was handled badly. I think the fridge actually might have worked with a few small touches. Anyway, I think that you are right, but that what you are describing is a longing for a hair more of a realistic touch. That's all that's needed to get Indy back on the rails for his age, and to return to form. All it would take is a bit of restraint from GL and SS, really.

No Ticket

Indy's brother said:
Like the entire warehouse bit? Drug there against his will, getting lucky when his chips were down with the rocket sled? These things were done in KOTCS, but they had gone just past believability. With some of the acrobatic stunts, and of course, the fridge was handled badly. I think the fridge actually might have worked with a few small touches. Anyway, I think that you are right, but that what you are describing is a longing for a hair more of a realistic touch. That's all that's needed to get Indy back on the rails for his age, and to return to form. All it would take is a bit of restraint from GL and SS, really.

To be fair... I thought the warehouse scene was the only one done right. (mostly anyway)

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:

The way they handled the fridge landing it wouldn't have mattered if Indy was eleventy-one, because no human was going to walk away from that. It's the moment in the film that creates a division between an acceptable adventure that you want to follow, and one that you don't want to believe you're seing.

Restraint doesn't seem to be in George's vocabulary, and Steven can't or won't put the brakes on. I don't know how George could put his mind to a more "realistic" Indiana Jones after successively adding more extreme scenes to the movies.

Montana Smith said:
Restraint doesn't seem to be in George's vocabulary, and Steven can't or won't put the brakes on.

Funny that, he's the one who stresses believablility during the Raiders Story Conference...

...and cuts the power to Spielberg's genre blender.

Montana Smith said:
I don't know how George could put his mind to a more "realistic" Indiana Jones after successively adding more extreme scenes to the movies.

Today's mantra:

I got a bad feeling about this...

Raiders90

His father aged better: Sean Connery at 70:
Sean_Connery_1999.jpg

If you slapped a toupee on Connery, and dyed his hair black, he could easily have passed for 50 then.

Raiders90

It's amazing how much Harrison aged in a generally short period of time.
Harrison in 1981 (basically around the time of Raiders), age 39:
picture.php

Harrison in 1991 (during filming of Patriot Games), age 49:
20861335-20861337-large.jpg

Kernunnos

These posts actually make me want to see an older Indiana Jones even more, to prove the doubters wrong, because I know Harrison is still perfectly able.

The only posts that make me think twice about whether I want another Indy movie, are the ones questioning how good the story is likely to be, after it took them the best part of two decades to come up with KOTCS.

The older Indiana Jones is a character worth watching. There's no doubt about that in my mind, but can Lucas do him justice? That's the question I find myself asking now.