KotCS & ToD similarities

littledavid2

I think there are many similarities between KotCS and ToD:

-They both came from Lucas insistence about things Spielberg wasn't completely convinced about (dark side in ToD, aliens in KotCS)
-Less globe-trotting ( China & India, U.S and Peru)
-More jungle settings
-They both received protests from groups, communities (Indians and Russians)
-They had mixed reviews (ToD mostly negative ones)
-Many fans were disappointed

Maybe Spielberg will look at it again and realize he has to make another REALLY good one to apologize...

Mrs_Fedora

I agree (y) . Good thing is that TOD is now many peoples favourite film, so i think this is also going to happen with KOTCS. We just have to wait a couple of years...

Darth Vile

If you sift through the interviews of all concerned, you'll see that in general terms, the movie that everyone had the most fun making was Last Crusade. I think Lucas/Spielberg and Ford probably tried to replicate the Crusade production spirit for KOTCS... hence the ensemble cast and pithy/witty dialogue. Which is why I think KOTCS is most similar to Last Crusade.

I agree that more people will come to view it with affection as years go on - similar to what TOD has experienced, but I think KOTCS is a far better movie than TOD.

The Golden Idol

littledavid2 said:
I think there are many similarities between KotCS and ToD:

-They both came from Lucas insistence about things Spielberg wasn't completely convinced about (dark side in ToD, aliens in KotCS)
-Less globe-trotting ( China & India, U.S and Peru)
-More jungle settings
-They both received protests from groups, communities (Indians and Russians)
-They had mixed reviews (ToD mostly negative ones)
-Many fans were disappointed

Maybe Spielberg will look at it again and realize he has to make another REALLY good one to apologize...

Neither has Nazis.

Marion Fan

Well the most obvious similarity with TOD and KOTCS to me was the relationship between Indy and Mutt along with Indy and his dad. Both are basically trying to win over the other's approval or show how smart or independent they are, etc.

Of course yes the water scenes were practically the same :)

LostArk

Marion Fan said:
Well the most obvious similarity with TOD and KOTCS to me was the relationship between Indy and Mutt along with Indy and his dad. Both are basically trying to win over the other's approval or show how smart or independent they are, etc.

Of course yes the water scenes were practically the same :)

Yeah, since Indy's dad was always there for him in ToD :rolleyes:

At least TOD was a well-made ambitious masterpiece with spectacular set pieces and adrenalin pumping action. KOTCS is a creaky nauseating bore from start to finish.

agentsands77

Darth Vile said:
If you sift through the interviews of all concerned, you'll see that in general terms, the movie that everyone had the most fun making was Last Crusade. I think Lucas/Spielberg and Ford probably tried to replicate the Crusade production spirit for KOTCS... hence the ensemble cast and pithy/witty dialogue.
Wait... there was pithy/witty dialogue in LAST CRUSADE? I must have missed that. ;)

I do agree with you, though.

Goonie

I think Doom and Crystal Skull are both similar in that they are both rescue missions. In Doom the rescue mission was the village children, with artifact retrieval. In Crystal Skull the rescue mission was Ox, with the return of an artifact.

Quickening

There are no similarities between Temple of Doom and KOTCS. Temple of Doom is an awesome Indiana Jones film with grit, darkness, drama, suspense and excitement. KOTCS is at best, a weak "Indy lite" made for kiddies. Seriously, comparing these films is like comparing The Godfather to Critters 3.

Quickening said:
There are no similarities between Temple of Doom and KOTCS. Temple of Doom is an awesome Indiana Jones film with grit, darkness, drama, suspense and excitement. KOTCS is at best, a weak "Indy lite" made for kiddies. Seriously, comparing these films is like comparing The Godfather to Critters 3.

Nah, more like Scarface to Free Willy.

agentsands77

Quickening said:
Temple of Doom is an awesome Indiana Jones film with grit, darkness, drama, suspense and excitement.
And let's not forget the oodles of silliness. Behind KINGDOM, it's the most openly slapstick of any of the Indiana Jones adventures.

Quickening said:
Seriously, comparing these films is like comparing The Godfather to Critters 3.
Except TEMPLE OF DOOM was never that good. It's a pretty enjoyable, but ultimately very sloppy, film. I don't think KINGDOM's at all that far behind DOOM.

Quickening

agentsands77 said:
And let's not forget the oodles of silliness. Behind KINGDOM, it's the most openly slapstick of any of the Indiana Jones adventures.

Can't argue with that.

agentsands77 said:
Except TEMPLE OF DOOM was never that good. It's a pretty enjoyable, but ultimately very sloppy, film. I don't think KINGDOM's at all that far behind DOOM.

Well I have to admit it's hard for me to debate objectively about Temple of Doom. It has always been my favourite film. It was the first one I ever saw. Sigh, I remember it now. A friend and I were messing around in the back garden and he said, "Indiana Jones is on" and I was like, "Who?". Anyway he went home and I sat down to watch it and for the first time in my life fell in love with a film. Even convinced my mum to let me eat my dinner while watching TV (she used to always insist on sitting at the table).
I remember being crushed as a kid that Raiders and Crusade were so different from Temple. To me, those were the weak of the trilogy. I wanted more darkness, action and atmosphere. Was only when I got older that I began to appreciate and then love Raiders and Crusade for what they were.

Thats me used up my "ramble pass" for the day. All Im saying is, nothing touches Temple for me. Especially not Kingdom. But hey, it's all subjective.

Besides I just read you giving faint praise to Alien 3 which is always a good thing to see ;)

TheMutt92

I actually thought from the getgo that this one would be more like TOD (non Judeo-Christian artifact, jungle locals, over the top action), but my opinion changed when everyone started saying it was like LC or ROTLA. Finally reverted back to TOD after I actually saw the movie (though I would say the dialogue is more along LC than TOD). So I'd say the film is mostly similar to TOD in its 'after taste' if you get what I'm tryin' to say here.