"Secrets of a Master Builder" Footage - KotCS

Darth Vile

Stoo said:
:confused: This is a very backwards way of thinking. As Harrison Ford once said: "Easy? Ya call that easy?"

It's not when you consider the lengths they'd go to in order to artificially replicate a gopher, monkey, piece of foilage or a 2 second horizon shot. I'd much rather have a piece of real footage of the amazon... but if it's a choice between stock footage (which looks like it's from another movie IMHO), and a visual effects shot, I'd opt in favour of the latter. However, clearly Spielberg would agree with you and not with me (as he wouldn't of used it otherwise). ;)

Stoo

Dayne said:
The pic on the far right on the getty images site is one of the pictures of the nazca lines in Indy's book. You know, the one he shows to Mutt?
Yes, I noticed that, too, which most likely accounts for the credit to Getty Images.
Darth Vile said:
It's not when you consider the lengths they'd go to in order to artificially replicate a gopher, monkey, piece of foilage or a 2 second horizon shot. I'd much rather have a piece of real footage of the amazon... but if it's a choice between stock footage (which looks like it's from another movie IMHO), and a visual effects shot, I'd opt in favour of the latter. However, clearly Spielberg would agree with you and not with me (as he wouldn't of used it otherwise).;)
Regardless of YOUR preferance, it's still "easier" to use footage that already exists then it is to create a CGI one from scratch. That was my point.;) Be honest, did you have ANY suspicion that footage was lifted from another film when you 1st saw "Skull"? My guess was that the shots were simply 2nd unit stuff.

Anyway, if the Washington shot in "Raiders" is taken from somewhere else...WHERE?:confused:

P.S. What do you folks think about the Hitchcock posters? Yes?:confused:

Darth Vile

Stoo said:
Regardless of YOUR preferance, it's still "easier" to use footage that already exists then it is to create a CGI one from scratch. That was my point.;) Be honest, did you have ANY suspicion that footage was lifted from another film when you 1st saw "Skull"? My guess was that the shots were simply 2nd unit stuff.

Of course I agree that it’s easier to use footage that already exists. They could do that with pretty much every establishing shot that didn’t need Indy in it. But that's not typical of Spielberg/Lucas ;)

Honestly speaking... I thought it seemed incongruous the moment I saw it – primarily because of the riverboat (which doesn't feature in any other shot).

P.S. I think the Hitchcock poster are a great little detail.

Col. Detritch

Yeah Stoo, I think you found the match! The posters are a little piece of authenticity you see all too little these days in a movie!

Regarding the 'Secrets of a Master Builder' footage, I noticed it listed on the credits too:p . But I have never seen the programme before and can't pinpoint the footage in the movie. I'll have to say I feel, after watching the film again, that the most logical choice, based on my little knowledge of the film/doco, would be to say it is in a travel montage. Perhaps the Soviet Plane that takes Indy and Mutt away before the riverboats (If it's relevant to the programme) or maybe one of the two planes that take them to Nazca earlier?:hat:

Stoo

Bumped for a Key Discovery

Me said:
The 2 riverboats are from a 1997 documentary called "Amazon". (See here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140803/) as per the credits in "Skull":

Aerials of Riverboat from ?Amazon? Courtesy of MacGillivray Freeman Films
Update: I can't confirm the shot of the larger boat but the smaller one is definitely from the previously filmed, 1997 "Amazon" documentary.:gun:

Amazon_Comparison.jpg

Stoo said:
...definitely from the previously filmed, 1997 "Amazon" documentary.:gun:
Was saving it for a trivia segment, but since there are no real Indy fans around these parts, what could it hurt?

It's the TSS Earnslaw.:hat:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen that boat, taken a couple others around Lake Wakatipu in New Zealand. I knew it must be stock footage. Nice find!

Stoo

Rocket: Nice bit of trivia.:hat: How on earth did you find the name of the boat?:confused:

Moe: Did you see it in New Zealand or in the Amazon region?:confused:

Tash: You lucky son of a gun!(y) Where? Details!:whip:

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Tash: You lucky son of a gun!(y) Where? Details!:whip:

As Moedred mentioned, Lake Wakatipu in New Zealand. It does runs from Queenstown to a working farm on the other side of the lake. Seeing the engine room in operation from the walkways above was pretty cool.

Stoo said:
Rocket: Nice bit of trivia.:hat: How on earth did you find the name of the boat?:confused:
Digging for trivia...I might have made an effort last time you posted here. You probably inspired the search.

I have document full of such trivialities with the plan to use them on the Indy Cast, unfortunately Crystal Skull just doesn't command my interest or have the staying power to stake any claims on the grey matter.

When you bumped the thread it triggered my Manchurian Candidate, I figured it might just go to waste.

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
As Moedred mentioned, Lake Wakatipu in New Zealand. It does runs from Queenstown to a working farm on the other side of the lake. Seeing the engine room in operation from the walkways above was pretty cool.
O.K. I was confused because Rocket & Moedred were referring to the small boat and IMDB doesn't list New Zealand as a filming location for the "Amazon" IMAX documentary (Bolivia, Brazil, Columbia and Peru).

A quick search reveals that the TSS Earnslaw is actually the LARGER steamer, which is the one in New Zealand:

TSS_Earnslaw.jpg

I'm still envious of you & Moe.;)
Rocket Surgeon said:
Digging for trivia...I might have made an effort last time you posted here. You probably inspired the search.

I have document full of such trivialities with the plan to use them on the Indy Cast, unfortunately Crystal Skull just doesn't command my interest or have the staying power to stake any claims on the grey matter.

When you bumped the thread it triggered my Manchurian Candidate, I figured it might just go to waste.
As it turns out, you had the right name but the wrong boat!:p Since the "Amazon" doc apparently wasn't filmed in the Land of the Kiwis, that still leaves the source of the Earnslaw footage as an unsolved mystery.

(Re. "The Manchurian Candidate": Great film! The original, anyway.:))

Stoo said:
O.K. I was confused because Rocket & Moedred were referring to the small boat and IMDB doesn't list New Zealand as a filming location for the "Amazon" IMAX documentary (Bolivia, Brazil, Columbia and Peru).

A quick search reveals that the TSS Earnslaw is actually the LARGER steamer, which is the one in New Zealand:

TSS_Earnslaw.jpg

As it turns out, you had the right name but the wrong boat!:p Since the "Amazon" doc apparently wasn't filmed in the Land of the Kiwis, that still leaves the source of the Earnslaw footage as an unsolved mystery.

(Re. "The Manchurian Candidate": Great film! The original, anyway.:))
I'm confused!:sick:

Is it not possible the Earnslaw footage was in Master Builder?

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'm confused!:sick:

Is it not possible the Earnslaw footage was in Master Builder?
Don't worry, Rocket, I'm confusing myself!:eek: You're right, the Earnslaw could have doubled as a Mississippi riverboat in "Master Builder" but without somebody actually seeing the 2 documentaries in question, this will remain a mystery. (There are some "American Experience" episodes available to watch online but "Master Builder" isn't one of them.:()

The main reason for the confusion is because of the info (or lack, thereof) in the credits. They specify, "Aerials of Riverboat from 'Amazon'" (aerials, plural) but nothing is specified for the other 3 stock footage sources.

This is all trivial, I know, but is something I'd like to get to the bottom of.