Novel Discussions

HovitosKing

Speaking of the Holbeins, is there any way for Americans to get their hands on any of his works? They all sound really interesting, though I can't seem to get my hands on any. Oh, and a translated version would be really nice, lol.

Webley

Young Indiana Jones and the Tomb Of Terror

In 1913 in Luxor,Egypt, an ancient ring leads Indy to a hidden tomb and into terrifying adventures with a German archaeologist. The book is great its got Marcus Brody trying to keep an eye out for Indy and Indy see Sallah for the first time.

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
Its a good one and I agree that I like

the Brody parts - as few as they are.

As for the novel authors?

Campbell Black was the first, with Raiders. You can view an interview with him in our interview section. As a matter of fact, you can view an interview with each of them, excluding Martin Caiden and the Young IJ authors (but they are on the way, hint, hint). Campbell gave us the "guts" of Indy.

Rob MacGregor came next and gave us the "history" and earlier life of Indy - just after college graduation, etc. He also provided us with an adaptation to Last Crusade - which wasn't easy, if you read the interview. His books secured Indy appearing in at least 6 more.

Martin Caiden is a WONDERFUL writer - but with his Indy books, you don't see that. You have to understand that Caiden was a team player and true to his word. He finished those books - as agreed - despite immense pain and suffering. This man, in real life had more adventure than our fictional hero could ever imagine! Caiden flew fighter planes and has a loooong history with the aces of the air. Unfortunately, he was struck with a horrific ailment that left him dying, while writing those two Indy books, so many of you love to hate. Those were his last works.

Max McCoy came along because of Caiden's death. What Max provided was a respectful image of Indy and awesome adventure! Max has a wonderful ability to retain and research history and his books reflect it. If you check out his interview, we even delve into the Chapter logo - that eagle symbol - and he lets us know where it came from.

The future of Indy in print is still very much up in the air. I know that there are discussions about an Indy 4 adaptation and who will write it - there may already be a choice. But the battle with Random House to produce further adventures is a bitter struggle. But Indy endures.

If you are able to, look up the books in your local library or online or in the stores. Read them and savor the adventure for what it is and be glad to have them at all. They are an integral part of that world we long to be so much a part of.

Here's to adventure...

Venture

Every time I feel I'm in the upper echelon of Indy fans, someone with the prodigious knowledge of Shipwreck comes along and reminds me I'm still just an upstart.

Venture

Re: *stubbing toe into the ground*

Shipwreck said:
Sorry....*wringing fedora in his hands*

No...*sniff*...really..th-that's okay. I'll move to the back of the class. Just kidding. I'm really impressed. You're insight has influenced my buying decision.

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
well,

after spending enough time with them, you get to know them and their style. Each story has something unique to offer. For the in-depth Jones - go MacGregor. For something different - go with Caiden. For just an adventure go with McCoy.

All of them are professionals in their own right. The research they put into each tale along with their time and and own adventures makes each book a worthy tale.

I hope you share your favs with us when your done. Personally - I loved the last one by McCoy - Secret of the Sphinx... but perhaps it was because it left me with the knowledge that Indy endures and the adventure continues...

Venture

Count on it, most Nautical of Moderators. Currently, Genesis Deluge holds the top spot, but as I've only read two that is subject to change.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
"Sphinx" remains my personal favorite. However, I haven't read them all, so that could change as well.

Webley

AND THE EYE OF THE FATES

This was a fun book. It's one of those find your fate adventure. It starts in Greece 1937. Indy finds pieces of Perseus' golden shield which contains clues to the location of this mysterious eye that has the power to see and change the future.

HovitosKing

Wouldn't it be great if they wrote "Find your Fate" adventure novels on an adult level? Admit it, the existing ones are children-to-young adult level reading. I mean, really well-constructed plots with challenging choices to make...that would be a really good idea, I think. Any thoughts?

Venture

I was a fan of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" kind of thing. I think it would be awesome to have some on a more complicated level.

Webley

AND THE GHOSTLY RIDERS

This one was not that good I thout. It has Indy and a budy of his, Cerdic Sandyfor. Thare on a brak from school and thay go to Sandyfor's house for thare vacation. Sandyford's old man has a coal mine that somone is trying to sabotage and young Indy has to save the day. In the book Indy finds an old ring that may have ben King Arthur's.

Webley

Out of all the Indy novels what one do you think could have been made in to a movie.
Me I think Unicorn's Legacy would have been a grate movie.

Webley

COMICS

Ok, this wos not a novel but it was a fun reed. It was Marvels, the further adventures of Indiana Jones #11 and #12. It starts out whith Indy running from these natives in the outback of Australia. he gets saved by this ninja tipe guys and thay take Indy to thare boss this guy named Ben Ali Ayoob. So Ben starts to tell Indy all about this thing called the Forth Nail legend says that when Jesus was to be crucified, four spikes, or nails were allotted one for each hand one for the feet and one to administer the death blow to the heart. This guy Ben trys to hire Indy to go get the 4th Nail but Indys like "No way man Im not for hire" So than Indy gos after the Nail for him self and it takes him to Barcelona ware he is looking for this guy Gypsies guy named Torino who can tell Indy a more of this 4th Nail. You see the 4th Nail was stolen by wandering gypse and when he dos get to see the Nail up close he leves it at the gypse camp whare he fond it.

Idont no it was cool when I reed it.