Are bug-zappers under-utilized in film?

Joe Brody

IFC had 'Blood Simple' on last night.

And while I didn't watch the whole thing, it got me to thinking: are bug-zappers under-utilized as a dramatic device to heighten tension or otherwise create mood/atmosphere?

What other great films have used bug-zappers to positive effect?

[Yes. I'm being half serious in starting this topic but this section has been languishing for some time.]

bug zappers?? are those machines used to kill bugs like mosquitos, etc??

Sorry im not that advanced in the english language, and it didnt come in the dictionary :p

thx for the link VP, but i still dunno what this has to do with movies, or indy stuff, or anything?? someone can give me any ideas?? we are speaking of the low use of this instrument?? :confused:

Joe Brody

Oftentimes, film-makers use seemingly everyday objects to create a mood (menace or alienation). The most common example is the ceiling fan (used in Raiders, several (I think) Hitchcocks, Bladerunner, somewhat famously in Angel Heart, Blood Simple, and countless other films -- including a one-armed appearance in I Robot). Other good everyday items include the use of flourescent light (a David Fincher trademark) and the channel 3-type television static (The Ring and Poltergeist).

Blood Simple is considered a classic or near classic (hence the topic in this table). In one scene in Blood Simple, a bug zapper is used to heighten the menancing mood surrounding two unsavory characters having an unsavory conversation. The bug zapper really made the scene. That led me to wonder what other films are out there where a bug zapper was used to similar (or, to cite Deadlock's example) more novel effect. I've stayed away from Tin Cup on principle -- but now I'll have to check it out.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
You don't have to watch long, 1st 15 min. and you can turn it off if you'd like...

I'll have to see if my collection reveals more "Bug-Zappers"