Indy and American Graffiti?

Finn

Staff member
chicago103 said:
I think the movie should be set in 1962
Just a friendly notion, but I think we're quite clear with this by now, you've said the very same thing in about ten different threads in a quick succession.

Oh well, at least it was all in specific messages and there's nothing in your points I want to argue with, (and no, you certainly didn't break the rules) but it's still going against the common netiquette and can get a little tedious in the long run...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Who, besides Curt Henderson, could populate Indy's (or Shia's) 1962 classroom? Larry 'Pinto' Kroger from Animal House fled ficticious Faber, Pennsylvania after sleeping with the mayor's underage daughter in November 1962. Alan Grant from Jurassic Park would be about their age, and seems to have no identified alma mater. Others?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
How about Benjamin Braddock from The Graduate? The novel was 1963, the film was 1967, and his college back east is never named. Or Matt Hooper from Jaws (though then you'd have 2 young Richard Dreyfuss impersonators).

Listening to old Simon & Garfunkel albums, The Sun is Burning (originally by Ian Campbell 1963) is a sneaky little nuclear apocalypse folk tune that could be slipped in instrumentally if it fit the plot thematically (only if the story called for it of course).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
In that video last month at 4:05 Lucas calls Red Tails "basically a combination of American Graffiti since they were all young kids and the prints from Star Wars." I've skimmed one draft of Red Tails and didn't see any familiar names (except a character, Herbert Lewis, nicknamed Indiana... really). Maybe they've since inserted an American Graffiti relative in there somewhere? Perhaps digitally?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
In More American Graffiti Curt Henderson's role was hastily rewritten for a new sibling, Andy Henderson. There's only one reference to anyone's parents:
Laurie Bolander: "You're just like your father!"
Steve Bolander: "You're just like your mother!"
The latter hints at the then unproduced Radioland Murders script.

I'd like to see a comic adaptation of Infernal Machine with Indy, on Sophia's recommendation, examining the Roswell remains in 1947 then immediately launching the dig in nearby Canyonlands with his compensation. Sophia, young Steve, and possible Bob Bolander would loom in the background.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Here's my complete fan theory:

1939 - While Marion and her toddler Henry III listen to WBN in Chicago, station employees Roger and Penny Henderson reconcile (Radioland Murders). Meanwhile in New York, Indy and Sophia Hapgood depart to learn the Fate of Atlantis, but soon after part ways.

1947 - Sophia has married Bob Bolander (Saucer Men from Mars) and has a redheaded toddler, Steve. They join the newly formed CIA and head to New Mexico to investigate the Roswell incident. Sophia suggests Indy for the investigation, while Bob suggests Alex Tremulis, USAF, straight from the premiere of the Tucker Sedan he designed. Indy and Tremulis meet briefly but are soon dismissed. (Tremulis swears he never saw a flying saucer but popularizes the design.) Sophia follows Indy to Utah and enlists his help finding and assembling the Infernal Machine in Babylon. Back in New Mexico, Bob is killed by contact with recovered alien technology.

1962 - Sophia has left the CIA and taken Steve to Modesto, California, also home to Roger and Penny Henderson with their children Curt, Laurie and Andy. Steve Bolander plans to attend Marshall College on Sophia's encouragement, and in turn has convinced his girlfriend Laurie's brother Curt to do the same. Ultimately only Curt flies east to Indy's school, while Steve marries Laurie and becomes an insurance agent (not a bad gig if your mother's really psychic).

...and I'm sure Indy crosses paths with the Red Tails in WWII, there's just nothing to work with there yet.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
If I had to bet, I'd say Anthony Ingruber plays Bob Falfa. But he's in SF while Curt Henderson is in NY. Maybe Falfa is sent to track him down before he dodges the draft? Kind of a stretch. Will have to review the Glasgow pics for a familiar cop. Maybe he flew in as extra security, was in the process of enlisting, or was drafted. All 3 astronauts passed through Edwards Air Force Base in Southern California years earlier.

Finn

Staff member
American Graffiti trilogy? Did I miss a third installment?
Explained if you read the older posts of this very thread. There's an apparent stealth prequel titled Radioland Murders. Its main characters, Roger and Penny Henderson, are meant to be Curt and Laurie's parents.