Is Indy called Indy in KOTCS?

pellman

I was skimming KOTCS yesterday, watching what I consider to be the good parts, and started wondering: is Indy ever called Indiana or Indy by anyone? Mac calls him Jonesy, the dean and Ox call him Henry, Mutt calls him old man, professor, daddy-o. Spalko calls him Jones. Marion is the only one who might call him Indy.

Anyone know? Or do I have to watch it all over again?

(Yeah, I know Indy starts to refer to himself as Indiana when trying to get through to Ox. I mean anyone else.)

Last edited:

spiralout

He's called Indy a bunch of times, but he's only called Indiana once, which is odd.

I always wondered if people who never saw Last Crusade were confused that they kept calling him Henry.

Dayne

INDYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Marion screams this when they're being attacked by the Uga Warriors.

DocWhiskey

Dayne said:
INDYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Marion screams this when they're being attacked by the Uga Warriors.

Yeah, her cry for him was hilariously strange to me for some reason.

James

DocWhiskey said:
Yeah, her cry for him was hilariously strange to me for some reason.

I always viewed it as a callback to her similar cry during the basket chase in Raiders.

The only problem is that the original scream was presented as an echo down various alleyways, whereas in Kingdom, she's just lying on the ground nearby. Since there's no real reason to have the scream be so exaggerated, it ends up feeling a little off.

Team Indy

James said:
I always viewed it as a callback to her similar cry during the basket chase in Raiders.

The only problem is that the original scream was presented as an echo down various alleyways, whereas in Kingdom, she's just lying on the ground nearby. Since there's no real reason to have the scream be so exaggerated, it ends up feeling a little off.

She's screaming at the top of her lungs in a huge open-air sacred ground. Sound travels faster in open-air settings than in smaller settings.

And anyway, I didn't even notice. I guess I was too busy enjoying the movie.

emtiem

Must admit, I didn't like it when he was called Henry so many times (and to have it written on his office door!): his name is Indiana Jones- this is a pulpy movie; it's not his nickname: it's his name.

Wilhelm

He's a different character in KOTCS, he's more like his father, more academic than grave-robber, so his Clark Kent indentity (Henry Jones Jr.) is stronger than the Superman (Indiana Jones).

This duality is present since Raiders: the professor and the adventurer, but in KOTCS he's more Henry Jones.

Mickiana

That's true Wilhelm, but it still takes some getting use to, hearing him called 'Henry'. We've been saturated with 'Indiana' and 'Indy'. The series haven't been called 'Henry Jones (II) and the Current Use of Formal Titles'. But you are right, he is older and becoming more like his father in some ways.