General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Ajax the Great

RedeemedChild said:
I hate that it has come to this; yet everything you've said is indeed very true. Harrison Ford is coming to the end of his road very fast as far as action-based acting is concerned.

I really believe we aren't going to be seeing a fifth Indiana Jones movie at all and that is very sad, very sad indeed. It almost hurts.

Still, I think or to be more precise, "hope" that Indiana Jones will live on, at lest on the smaller screen in an animated television series and that all depends on wither or not George Lucas will acknowledge the petitions of fans and if he is willing to step aside from his beloved Star Wars projects for a little bit.

I know that some things don?t last forever, and it seems as if George Lucas doesn?t really care if Indiana Jones dies as it is not his ?sandbox? of joy. Mr. Lucas has said that Indiana Jones is his ?side project? when he has nothing else to work with or wants a breath of fresh air.

At lest we?ve got the future of Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia to fall back on. However, both of those franchises can head south at any moment and they don?t have the same charm and magic about them as did Indiana Jones back when there was no Mutt and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to give damage to the flawless Indiana Jones empire.

There are much--MUCH--sadder things in life than not getting an Indy V. Like the fact that half the world lives on less than $2 a day.

Yeah, many of us would love to see another Indy V, but at the end of the day, they're just movies. There's more important things worth getting upset about.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
:
On that basis, the only way forward would be to have a young actor of the equivalent talent of a Robert Downey Jnr or a Johnny Depp to take the role of the younger hero/sidekick. Shia didn't convince in KOTCS and I can't see him returning to the role of Mutt, and especially not becoming the 'next Indiana Jones'.

Careful what you wish for Montana, we don't want a Downey Jnr or Depp stealing the show. At least with Shia, we always knew he was never going to outshine Harrison. ;)

Indyfan4ever said:
I would have to disagree...I mean Harrison will be in Cowboys & Aliens for next year...I'm sure he will do a lot of action in that movie...Even in his 70's he will still have what it takes...look at these pics from the Empire Strikes Back Screening: http://www.starwars.com/fans/events/esb30th_screening/index.html

To be honest...He is not looking old at all...not any old than he look in KOTCS...and I'm sure Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford are not even worrying about Ford's age for Indy V, because they know he can deliever a great performance...action and acting wise.

It's not really about wether or not we want to see Harrison Ford in another action movie (I do), or wether or not he can still do it (as I'm sure he can). It's more to do with wether we want to see Indiana Jones as a much older character who, as a consequence, will have to give over screen time/heroic responsibilities to younger supporting actors for the movie to be deemed viable. As I see it, it's not really about Ford as an actor, but rather Ford as Indiana Jones.

bennihana123

Spielberg's new film War Horse is shooting for an August 2011 release so this would have to be his next immediate project in order to fit in with Karen Allen's timeline.

RedeemedChild

Ajax the Great said:
There are much--MUCH--sadder things in life than not getting an Indy V. Like the fact that half the world lives on less than $2 a day.

Yeah, many of us would love to see another Indy V, but at the end of the day, they're just movies. There's more important things worth getting upset about.

True Montana. That's very true. I know I'm really disgusted with the BP Oil Spill and the negligence of our federal government in simply ignoring the problem .

Indy's brother

Darth Vile said:
Careful what you wish for Montana, we don't want a Downey Jnr or Depp stealing the show. At least with Shia, we always knew he was never going to outshine Harrison. ;)

It's not really about wether or not we want to see Harrison Ford in another action movie (I do), or wether or not he can still do it (as I'm sure he can). It's more to do with wether we want to see Indiana Jones as a much older character who, as a consequence, will have to give over screen time/heroic responsibilities to younger supporting actors for the movie to be deemed viable. As I see it, it's not really about Ford as an actor, but rather Ford as Indiana Jones.

Adding big names to Indy's entourage is no guarantee of quality. KOTCS arguably had more star power than any of it's predecessors. Filling seats in the theater on the strength of of star power isn't really the way I would like to see Indy 5 or beyond become a financial success. The STORY is where it's at.

Harrison's age has little to do with his credibility as a rough and tumble adventurer (as long as he stays in shape as he has been able to do). Part of the reason he's been so successful in the role is his ability to make the audience feel every bump and bruise. When he gets hit, you believe it. His advancing years could be used to great advantage in this way, something that KOTCS didn't really capitalize on as well as it could have. It should hurt him more at his age. Not that I want to hear him utter "I'm getting too old for this s***" or anything.

Many people here of late have been throwing out random deadlines as to how much longer he can sustain his believability in the role. "If we don't hear anything by ______." Utter nonsense, I say. In the special features for KOTCS it appeared that Ford did a truly admirable amount of his own stunt work, and with the ability to digitally remove the wire-work, I don't see any reason that he couldn't continue. Heck, after hurting his back in TOD, all the stunt work on the conveyor belt scene was done by Vic Armstrong. Didn't hurt it a bit. ;)

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:
Adding big names to Indy's entourage is no guarantee of quality. KOTCS arguably had more star power than any of it's predecessors. Filling seats in the theater on the strength of of star power isn't really the way I would like to see Indy 5 or beyond become a financial success. The STORY is where it's at.

Harrison's age has little to do with his credibility as a rough and tumble adventurer (as long as he stays in shape as he has been able to do). Part of the reason he's been so successful in the role is his ability to make the audience feel every bump and bruise. When he gets hit, you believe it. His advancing years could be used to great advantage in this way, something that KOTCS didn't really capitalize on as well as it could have. It should hurt him more at his age. Not that I want to hear him utter "I'm getting too old for this s***" or anything.

Many people here of late have been throwing out random deadlines as to how much longer he can sustain his believability in the role. "If we don't hear anything by ______." Utter nonsense, I say. In the special features for KOTCS it appeared that Ford did a truly admirable amount of his own stunt work, and with the ability to digitally remove the wire-work, I don't see any reason that he couldn't continue. Heck, after hurting his back in TOD, all the stunt work on the conveyor belt scene was done by Vic Armstrong. Didn't hurt it a bit. ;)

He did indeed do a lot of his own stunt work... all power to Harrison for that... but his age is of paramount importance when determining the validity of a movie. It perhaps shouldn't be, but nonetheless it is. I was at a showing of KOTCS with my nephews (and nephews friends), and as much as they enjoyed the movie, they thought Indiana Jones was just a "funny old man". For them, Mutt was the character they could relate to, Mutt was the focus of the movie. Mutt had to be the focus, otherwise they would have just turned off.

Again, I'm sure there are lots of great parts out there for Harrison to play a grizzled/older man coming to terms with his own mortality. I'm just not convinced that this approach is the future of Indiana Jones. And why should it have to be? If they have a truly great story... fine. If they have a story where they can show true/genuine development in Indy's character... great. But chances are, if there is an Indy V, it will just be circa 70 year old Harrison acting like he's 35 e.g. surviving atomic blasts, riding waterfalls etc. etc. And I'm just not sure how valid that it.

Indy's brother

Darth Vile said:
his age is of paramount importance when determining the validity of a movie. It perhaps shouldn't be, but nonetheless it is.

What are you basing that on? The opinions of your nephews and their friends? (I don't mean that as snarky as it sounds, believe it or not) If that is the target audience for Indiana Jones, then yes, Indy has outlived his welcome on the big screen. While the younger demographic wasn't ignored for KOTCS, I don't really think they were the sole target, or even the majority of who the movie was geared toward.

Darth Vile said:
Again, I'm sure there are lots of great parts out there for Harrison to play a grizzled/older man coming to terms with his own mortality. I'm just not convinced that this approach is the future of Indiana Jones. And why should it have to be? If they have a truly great story... fine. If they have a story where they can show true/genuine development in Indy's character... great. But chances are, if there is an Indy V, it will just be circa 70 year old Harrison acting like he's 35 e.g. surviving atomic blasts, riding waterfalls etc. etc. And I'm just not sure how valid that it.

You are right to doubt the ability of GL & SS to deliver a more convincing story for Indy after the last outing, but I would like to think that after being tarred and feathered in the press over KOTCS that some of the criticisms have had to have sunk in enough to give us hope for a better film next time out. I know that it's still possible to create another great adventure (or two) for our eminent archeologist, so I refuse to give up hope.

Udvarnoky

Indy's brother said:
Adding big names to Indy's entourage is no guarantee of quality. KOTCS arguably had more star power than any of it's predecessors.

This is quite true. Take out Sean Connery, and the original trilogy's supporting cast was pretty much devoid of marquee names, and instead rounded out by quality character actors. Now, I consider Indy4's supporting cast to be comprised of talented character actors as well - after all, an actor's quality and popularity don't have to be mutually exclusive, but the star power represented by the likes of Cate Blanchett and Shia LaBeouf was arguably higher than was ever previously the case with this franchise.

Burwolf

My apologies if this has already been mentioned (but 220 pages is too much for me to go through)... but I'd like to see Tom Selleck as the villian if they decided to do Indy 5.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw in New Haven at Yale - AGAIN!

The first time he was spot with Kate in New Haven was back in November 2006 at eatry visiting thir son Theo at Yale. Then he came back to film the IJKOTCS Marshall chase scenes in June and July of 2007.... well in the small world department, as I was down the street with my ComiCONN partners planning next year's show and celebration of the 30th Anniversary... he was three blocks away with Willi Scott - AGAIN! This time as a proud parent at Theo's graduation,... he had a video camera in hand and was filming the 2010 Yale Graduation -- and maybe spotting locations for Indy 5?!!!

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2010/05/24/news/doc4bfac101c3a13833001377.txt

see the man behind the camera again New Haven in these photos!

If only it was a year from now and they popped inti the Indy Celebration at ComiCONN 2011 - now that would have been a cool surprise!!!

EddyW

Not really Indy news at all, but to show that Harrison Ford is still looking very much like he did in Skull, and could easily carry one or two more Indy films, here's a trailer for a new film he's starring in called "Morning Glory": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjCFcasXIvM&feature=player_embedded.

I'd say he actually looks younger then he did in Skull, but it could just be my hopefull mind playing tricks on me... Man I'm really desperate on getting some substantial news on more Indy films.

Peru1936

EddyW said:
Not really Indy news at all, but to show that Harrison Ford is still looking very much like he did in Skull, and could easily carry one or two more Indy films, here's a trailer for a new film he's starring in called "Morning Glory": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjCFcasXIvM&feature=player_embedded.

I'd say he actually looks younger then he did in Skull, but it could just be my hopefull mind playing tricks on me... Man I'm really desperate on getting some substantial news on more Indy films.

I have to say, that doesn't seem like my, to put it nicely, cup of tea.

Last edited:

Indy's brother

Geoff Boucher responded to my inquiry about Indy 5 questions from his interview with Mr. Ford:
LucasFilm and Ford did ask me to limit it to "Empire" questions and since it was a LucasFilm event (and for charity) and a very narrow amount of stage time I agreed.At the end of the q&a I DID ask about "Cowboys and Aliens" but that was because I saw Favreau in the audience and I got caught up in the moment. But back to "Indy": I believe I will be interviewing Ford again very soon and I will get that question answered (or -- at the very least -- asked).
His response is at the bottom of this link. ;-)

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:
What are you basing that on? The opinions of your nephews and their friends? (I don't mean that as snarky as it sounds, believe it or not) If that is the target audience for Indiana Jones, then yes, Indy has outlived his welcome on the big screen. While the younger demographic wasn't ignored for KOTCS, I don't really think they were the sole target, or even the majority of who the movie was geared toward.
No offence taken... Based upon the fact that producers/the film studio always consider target audiences, demographics and the market. This is aptly demonstrated in the way they signed up Shia as one of the 'bright young things' of Hollywood to play Indy's son. They could have quite easily cast a better, older actor to play Mutt... but they went for youth. I think it's a fair assumption that the choice of 'long lost son' was based on a perception of market interest.

Indy's brother said:
You are right to doubt the ability of GL & SS to deliver a more convincing story for Indy after the last outing, but I would like to think that after being tarred and feathered in the press over KOTCS that some of the criticisms have had to have sunk in enough to give us hope for a better film next time out. I know that it's still possible to create another great adventure (or two) for our eminent archeologist, so I refuse to give up hope.

I think Lucas can quite easily deliver a good enough story... I also think Lucas would probably be far more risky (in a movie making progressive sense) as to the direction Indiana Jones went. However, I don't believe Spielberg has the ability to now make an all out action movie that sets the standards (as it was with Raiders and TOD). Re-defining action movies is a young mans job. Spielberg should now concentrate on much more intelligent, philisophical, more mature movies (IMHO), which are now his better movies.

bennihana123

Didn't Spielberg say that one of the reasons he made LC was to make up for Temple of Doom? Maybe we'll get an apology film for KotCS haha

foreignerfred

Hanselation said:
Does someone have access to the IMDBPro page?
I'm interested to know, why the Moviemeter for Indy 5 goes 37% up this week.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462764/
MOVIEmeter: Up 37% in popularity this week. See why on IMDbPro.

Amen, brother!

Someone get on there and tell us what the deal is? Do we have any reasonable guesses?

Is there a lucasfilm event of any kind going down where an announcement might be dropped?

The stars aligning?

Ideas?

We're starving here! Anything -- ANYTHING! Please!!!

Indy's brother

kevster said:
Interesting ;)

Nice that he is responding on your question.

No kidding! :cool:

Hanselation said:
Does someone have access to the IMDBPro page?
I'm interested to know, why the Moviemeter for Indy 5 goes 37% up this week.

Well I threw that question out there on my Indy 5 FB page to see if anyone out there had any ideas. One guy brought up a good point, maybe a sudden resurgence in interest could be attributed to "Emipre's" 30th. I think he's probably right, but that's just me.

foreignerfred said:
We're starving here! Anything -- ANYTHING! Please!!!

Like I said earlier in this post, "no kidding". It's always darkest before the dawn, I suppose....