DC comics New 52

HovitosKing

Is anyone else following this "reboot" effort? If so, I'm interested in hearing opinions of the recent issues no. 1. Frankly, as a longtime comic book fan, this feels more like a gimmick than substantive change and innovation. IMO, most of DC's headliner superhero storylines (e.g., Batman, Superman, Flash, etc.) have become extremely convoluted and weak over the past few years, so I'd hoped this was going to be their attempt to start again -- a simple, fresh new take on each of these 52 titles. After all, simplifying most of these books really would go a long way toward making the storylines fresh and interesting again. Unfortunately, most of the new 52 I've read so far seem to be just a continuation of last month's issues, albeit sporting a newly reset issue number. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Montana Smith

I hadn't heard about DC's big reboot. I gave up buying comics years ago, when storing them became an issue.

The only area of DC's universe that really interests me is Batman and his associated characters. Apart from his stories I've always been much happier in Marvel's realm.

This site has a running guide on each week's issues:

http://screenrant.com/dc-new-52-comics-benm-130014/

HovitosKing

Agreed. Marvel may currently be whoring its comics out to B-quality Hollywood directors in an effort to capitalize on this stupid superhero summer blockbuster craze, but their actual comic books are still quality. DC's just gotten lost in its own perceived self-importance ever since Batman Begins.

HovitosKing said:
Agreed. Marvel may currently be whoring its comics out to B-quality Hollywood directors in an effort to capitalize on this stupid superhero summer blockbuster craze, but their actual comic books are still quality. DC's just gotten lost in its own perceived self-importance ever since Batman Begins.
Yeah, DC tried to get away from peddling Halle Berry in a cat suit to pushing pulp ripoffs of Josey Wales and both Alan Moore's unoriginal thinly veiled Justice League "offerings" giving Martin Campbell DC's Ring Bearer...to bad he couldn't bring his Bond magic to DC's crap.

Please.

Marvel will always stomp DC. Always has always will.

You should be kissing Chris Nolan's translucent behind for what he did with and for Batman.

HovitosKing

One obvious change is a price hike on several existing titles (including Action Comics)...so much for "drawing the line at $2.99." I guess they figured we'd be so distracted by all those new issue #1's we'd overlook the more important number (the price) lol. I also just saw a commercial on TV for this whole New 52 thing today, which makes me think they really are trying to appeal to a wider audience at the expense of their loyal fanbase. Man, that's a theme that just keeps rearing its ugly head these days.