Indy vehicles and museums

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
This one?

Wonder what became of it after that Ebay sale?
I wonder, too, but the one that I'm talking about is pictured here, parked humbly behind the tank in Walt Disney World's back lot.

If it's still there and still has its khaki paintjob, then they are 2 different trucks.

micsteam

Hey Stoo and all, well I'll be on the lookout on the back lot tour, plus I'll get some better close ups of what's at the Stunt Spectacular. When I'm at WDW, which should be Aug.29-Sept.1, I'll check in here and you guys can put in requests for what you're like to see and I'll accomodate as best possible... you know... between margaritas and pints at the Rose and Crowne !!! ;)

InexorableTash

If you can take a picture using a phone or other device that will tag it with GPS coordinates it would help locating the vehicle(s) on satellite/aerial photos.

(Some obsessive person probably already did this but I'm feeling lazy.)

The truck at DL is under a fairly thick tree canopy so isn't visible, but I'm not sure about the WDW vehicles.

micsteam

So what are you saying you want to see these vehicles from space ?? Like Google Earth ?? I have an IPhone 4 and a 12 mega pixel Sony pocket camera that I use to take pics with, if it's easy to do I'll do it just remember this is a vacation I'm trying to relax and have fun so not too complicated.

InexorableTash

micsteam said:
So what are you saying you want to see these vehicles from space ?? Like Google Earth ?? I have an IPhone 4 and a 12 mega pixel Sony pocket camera that I use to take pics with, if it's easy to do I'll do it just remember this is a vacation I'm trying to relax and have fun so not too complicated.

I was going to say: snap a pic with an iPhone and that'll take care of it. Once you're home and bored you can upload to a service like Flickr that will use the GPS coordinates the phone saved into the image, or look at Photos on the app and pick Maps and it will let you see where every photo was taken.

But then I decided to just search the maps and they're easy to find.

Here is the backlot tour: http://goo.gl/maps/sKg2l - you can easily make out the ship from Flight of the Navigator, a Snowspeeder, Sail Barge, and Herbie the Love Bug.

I believe the tank and jeep are actually tucked away behind the Adventure Outpost store here: http://goo.gl/maps/sKg2l - confirmation would be nice.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
InexorableTash said:
Here is the backlot tour: http://goo.gl/maps/sKg2l - you can easily make out the ship from Flight of the Navigator, a Snowspeeder, Sail Barge, and Herbie the Love Bug.

I believe the tank and jeep are actually tucked away behind the Adventure Outpost store here: http://goo.gl/maps/sKg2l - confirmation would be nice.

You gave the same link twice, but your belief is correct. Those two and, I think, a third vehicle, perhaps a staff car.

Last edited:

micsteam

I've been on the back lot tour twice in the last 2 years, I'll do it again looking specifically for these vehicles. I don't have a Flickr account but I think it's free so if you want when I get back I'd be happy to upload whatever I come accross.

Stoo

micsteam said:
Hey Stoo and all, well I'll be on the lookout on the back lot tour, plus I'll get some better close ups of what's at the Stunt Spectacular. When I'm at WDW, which should be Aug.29-Sept.1, I'll check in here and you guys can put in requests for what you're like to see and I'll accomodate as best possible... you know... between margaritas and pints at the Rose and Crowne !!! ;)
Not having ever seen the Stunt Spectacular in person (it didn't exist yet the 2 times that I went), I'm pretty sure that all of the vehicles used in the show are mock-ups. The flying wing certainly is! Anyway, get what you can. We will all appreciate it.:hat:
InexorableTash said:
That Herbie was rigged to do tricks but it caught fire several years ago and they've never bothered fixing it again.:( (Yes, I'm a closet Love Bug freak!:eek:)

From your 2nd link, I think I can make out the tank amongst the trees. Those other vehicles in the area behind the Stunt arena are probably ones used in the show, hence not genuine. Or am I missing something?:confused:

Here's a great link that Attila provided in my "Indiana Jones and the Disney Connection" thread. It has before & after photos of the tank's restoration and says that it has indeed been relocated next to the Adventure Outpost & the Stunt Spectacular.

http://www.parkeology.com/2011/04/indiana-jones-and-boneyard-tank.html

EDIT: I see that Attila already posted that link while I was writing this.

micsteam

The Stunt Spectacular is a lot of fun, yeah it is for show and none of the props or costumes are authentic (and they're not trying to be, they're trying to wrap up a 2 1/2 hr movie in a very small area)but it is pretty fun, when any of the fire " events " happen you can really feel the heat !!! I don't always go when I go to WDW depending on time frame and what the kids want to do. I'll make it a point to go this summer. I do have pics from an earlier trip (2010-11 maybe) how can I get them on here without sending everybody from a link (these are my pictures) ??

Exulted Unicron

Stoo said:
Good for you, Smiff! Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.:) (Plus, it's nice to know that some people at this forum are NOT Disney Dorks, which was already known but further affirmation is always welcome.)

Hey, Unicorn, you never answered my question. Considering that you started the thread, don't you want to discuss this?:confused: I've searched high & low and can't find any information about the "Raiders" truck being at the Cars of Stars Museum. The one in Anaheim APPEARS to be genuine (albeit, with some repairs & modifications). Unicorn, what is your source of information for it being housed in Cumbria?:confused:

Sorry Stoo, didn't mean to neglect ya. Anyway, as for my sources on the truck being at Cumbria, when the museum was open there, he had a gallery of all the cars he had by film as well as the ones he hired out, like the batmobiles, delorean, the a-team GMC and such like. I wish I'd have gotten a grab of the picture he'd put up before the site got taken down.

Colonel Corey

I hope that the tank is restored and used in the Stunt Spectacular! That would be really awesome. But then again, it may be rotting in some park.

DSCN3014%20(Custom).JPG

Or maybe it has something to do with this? :confused:

micsteam

Leaving tomorrow morning for WDW, be there from Aug. 29th thru Sept. 1st. I'm bringing my laptop and will check in, if there's any requests for pics let me know beyond what we've talked about here already. :)

micsteam

Hi guys, I was able to get picks of the vehicles by the Stunt Spectacular but it looks like indyclone25 beat me to it. I had a great time but unfortunately my niece and nephew and their parents weren't able to make it, I use the kids as a excuse to go on all the rides lol, so we pretty much breezed through the parks and ate and hung out at Epcot at the World Showcase... yes Stoo I had a mango margarita just for you !! Yeah you really had to twist my arm !! Anyway I'll post pics soon. We have the Food and Wine Festival coming up so we'll prob be back there in Oct. or early Nov. Hope all is well !! :whip:

NickTurner

I notice in this picture the 'Hatay star' on the front of the tank appears to have a white outline. Other pictures appear to show a yellow outline which is what I used. I also see the writing - which I added to the flag - also shows in the star. Actually I when I built the tank I didn't see this on the front of the tank - it doesn't show in the movie at all! Just goes to show there is always another detail...

I would also note the tank here looks a lot cleaner than in the movie, when it is liberally covered in dust! Compare this with a screen shot. My 'Hatay stars' are barely visible through the dust layer, so whether the outline is yellow or white is a moot point I guess.

Interestingly I just dug up an older picture (also from Disneyworld) and the 'Hatay star' does not appear at all! Also the tracks appear to painted in the same plain desert yellow as the rest of the tank, whereas here they appear grey. Also this new shot has a lot of 'grime' added. View it here:

tank_headon.jpg