Indy vehicles and museums

Exulted Unicron

This goes out to anyone who might know. Until it closed, the Cars of the Stars Museum in Cumbria housed the Truck and one of the staff cars from ROTLA. All cars from the museum, except the Only Fools and Horses Reliant Robin were sold off.

The Ford Trimotor from ToD is currently residing at Fantasy of Flight Museum in Florida. The LC Bikes and Shorty's Deutschenberg Convertable are in the Boneyard on the Backlot Tour at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Does anyone know what happened to the other vehicles? There was a rumour going round that the Mark VIII Liberty in the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset was actually one of the Last Crusade tanks, though it's not been confirmed.

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
Does anyone know what happened to the other vehicles? There was a rumour going round that the Mark VIII Liberty in the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset was actually one of the Last Crusade tanks, though it's not been confirmed.

My post about the 1954 Citroën 11 Légère Cabriolet 'Traction' (and tank) from the Car in Last Crusade thread:

Smiffy said:
It was reported on IMCDB that the actual car is rotting outside Disneyland:

TLC11Lcitroen.jpg

The photo comes from Indy Wikia.

Looks like it has the tank for company (far left).

And Attila's post:

Attila the Professor said:
Huh. That's odd. The tank is in Florida, near the Epic Stunt Spectacular. One of the troop transport trucks for Last Crusade is there next to it. I don't recall the car, although I <I>do</I> have some recollection of there having been three vehicles there at an earlier date. I have recent photos from that spot; I'll have to compare the foliage.

Exulted Unicron

so disney have the LC Bikes, the Deuschenberg, the Citroen and the tank as well. They;re all rotting away. I saw the bikes and I was sad to see them now as sunbleached, rusting hulks. The fans should really step in and save these items.

Mickiana

Exulted Unicron said:
so disney have the LC Bikes, the Deuschenberg, the Citroen and the tank as well. They;re all rotting away. I saw the bikes and I was sad to see them now as sunbleached, rusting hulks. The fans should really step in and save these items.

A full restoration would be a labour of love and expensive too. If the rust is down to the chassis and the pillars then you are looking at metal replacement, so fabrication and welding and painting would need to be done. Then there are the mechanicals, if you want to start the engine and drive it around and then the interiors: custom upholstery and trimming. And new tyres. This is about making them like new again. So, if you have the time and/or money and permission to take them, a bit of cinematic history could be restored.

micsteam

As far as the tank is concerned I can back that up it is at the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular at Disney's Hollywood Studios Disney World in Orlando,FL. I know I'm there 2-4 times a year. I have a restoration, performance, and repair shop in South Florida and it would take considerable time but could be done restoring the cars from the movies and Disney has the resources to do so but they're in high gear for Star Wars and everything else is on the back burner if not addressed at all or for some time.

Stoo

Exulted Unicron said:
This goes out to anyone who might know. Until it closed, the Cars of the Stars Museum in Cumbria housed the Truck and one of the staff cars from ROTLA. All cars from the museum, except the Only Fools and Horses Reliant Robin were sold off.
Interesting. Did you (or anyone else) actually see the truck at the Cars of the Stars Museum in person? If so, did it look genuine? The reason I ask is because the museum closed in 2011 but there is a "Raiders" truck at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. which has been there for quite some time. As far as I'm aware, only 1 was made for the film and, given Disney's mastery at replication, I'm wondering which one is the Real McKoy.

Too bad I was never able to visit Cars of the Stars while it was open to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Such a beautiful machine.
Exulted Unicron said:
Shorty's Deutschenberg
Just so you know for the future, Unicorn, it's spelled, 'Duesenberg'.;)

---
Regarding the tank in the photo with the Citroën that Smiffy posted: If the folks at IMCDB are claiming that the car is at "Disneyland" then they are talking about California. As Attila & micsteam (and my own brother) have reported, there definitely is a tank in Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. Perhaps the IMCDB guys got the name of the park wrong?:confused:

Most of Pale Horse's photos are gone from the Can we get Indy around the globe? thread so I can't remember if he took a picture of the tank in Anaheim or not. If there is a tank in California, then one (or possibly both) of Disney's tanks is a replica. Pale, can you confirm?:confused:
Exulted Unicron said:
The fans should really step in and save these items.
Feel free to start a restoration fund!:D

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Regarding the tank in the photo with the Citroën that Smiffy posted: If the folks at IMCDB are claiming that the car is at "Disneyland" then they are talking about California. As Attila & micsteam (and my own brother) have reported, there definitely is a tank in Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. Perhaps the IMCDB guys got the name of the park wrong?:confused:

The first comment about the whereabouts of the car on IMCDB was made back in August 2004:

Il paraît qu'elle pourrit lamentablement dans un des parcs Disney, à l'extérieur en permanence, ce qui est scandaleux vu sa rareté et son prix.

Translation: It seems that it rots miserably in one of the Disney parks, permanently outdoors , which is outrageous considering its rarity and its price.

Two years later, almost to the day, another member posted the picture. Their link is now broken so it's just as well I saved it in my Photobucket.

The news is 7-9 years old, so the situation (and state of the car) may well have changed now.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_3149-Citroen-11-Legere-Cabriolet-1954.html

NickTurner

There was a rumour going round that the Mark VIII Liberty in the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset was actually one of the Last Crusade tanks

Extremely unlikely! First, I know for a fact that Bovington has a real Mk VIII - used to be outside but I believe they have moved it under cover and restored it some. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mark_VIII_Tank_Bovington_Flickr_4535818321.jpg

The Last Crusade tank was based on the Mk VIII, as you can clearly see from the side view. However, the movie tank is much wider to incorporate the turret that was added and also has excavator tracks.

The confusion may arise from the fact that Bovington DOES own a replica WWI tank - it's a Mk IV made for the movie Warhorse. The museum folks were impressed with the reproduction (at least the external look) and it gives them a vehicle that can actually be brought out and driven around. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpuapAeV1bk

Exulted Unicron

Turns of when the Cars of the Stars Museum closed in 2011, the cars were bought by Michael Dezer, who has a motor museum in North Miami. I'm gonna be sending him a message to see if he bought the troop car and raiders truck as well.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
The news is 7-9 years old, so the situation (and state of the car) may well have changed now.
So the statement that the car (+ tank) is at "Disneyland" was yours?:confused: It's highly doubtful that they would bother shipping the rotting hulk of a car across the country from Florida to California so I'm guessing that there is no tank at Disneyland and that the one in Walt Disney World is genuine.
NickTurner said:
Extremely unlikely!
Hurrah! Nick "The Tank Man" Turner steps in!(y)

micsteam

I'll be going to DW this summer, prob. mid August. When I go to the Disney Hollywood Studios I'll pay my respects at the IJ Stunt Spectacular and I'll take pics of everything they have and I'll post them here for your inspection. Everything they use in the actual show is either a mock-up or a sized down prop but I'll get pics of all the surrounding vehicles and what not.:hat:

Mickiana

micsteam said:
I'll be going to DW this summer, prob. mid August. When I go to the Disney Hollywood Studios I'll pay my respects at the IJ Stunt Spectacular and I'll take pics of everything they have and I'll post them here for your inspection. Everything they use in the actual show is either a mock-up or a sized down prop but I'll get pics of all the surrounding vehicles and what not.:hat:

Looking forward to those pics, micsteam!

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Mickey Mouse is all the same to me.
Dunno1.gif
Good for you, Smiff! Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.:) (Plus, it's nice to know that some people at this forum are NOT Disney Dorks, which was already known but further affirmation is always welcome.)
Exulted Unicorn said:
Until it closed, the Cars of the Stars Museum in Cumbria housed the Truck and one of the staff cars from ROTLA.
Exulted Unicorn said:
Turns of when the Cars of the Stars Museum closed in 2011, the cars were bought by Michael Dezer, who has a motor museum in North Miami. I'm gonna be sending him a message to see if he bought the troop car and raiders truck as well.
Me said:
Did you (or anyone else) actually see the truck at the Cars of the Stars Museum in person? If so, did it look genuine? The reason I ask is because the museum closed in 2011 but there is a "Raiders" truck at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. which has been there for quite some time. As far as I'm aware, only 1 was made for the film and, given Disney's mastery at replication, I'm wondering which one is the Real McKoy.
Hey, Unicorn, you never answered my question. Considering that you started the thread, don't you want to discuss this?:confused: I've searched high & low and can't find any information about the "Raiders" truck being at the Cars of Stars Museum. The one in Anaheim APPEARS to be genuine (albeit, with some repairs & modifications). Unicorn, what is your source of information for it being housed in Cumbria?:confused:

Stoo

micsteam said:
So am I a Disney Dork ??!! :confused:
I don't know, Chris, are you?:confused: I'm a bit of a Disney Dork, myself, so don't worry, it's an affectionate term!:cool:

When you go this August, you might want to take the Studios Back-Lot Tour because there are/were some Indy vehicles there. (See this brief article about it on TheRaider.net: http://www.theraider.net/information/attractions/sightseeing.php)

After my brother went to Orlando about 2 years ago, he showed me a photo of the tank. It was surrounded by bushes and not sitting on a trailer like it is in that article's photo so you'll have to give us a report on where it now is, exactly, in the park.

micsteam

That's about right with the tank, I forget if it's at the entrance or at the exit which, if memory serves, is all relative I beleive you can go into The Stunt Spectacular pretty much the way you come in. I've never given it, the tank, that much thought until all the talk here on the thread, to be honest I thought it was a knock-off prop but when I go in Aug./Sept. I'll get some clear HD photos of it and anything else that looks interesting. Stoo, I've been on the Studio Back Lot Tour and it's mostly former props for older rides/attractions at the park, or other movie props not much in the way of Indy but since I'm going back to the Stunt Spec. I'll go on the Tour again and get some pics for you guys. As far as the " Disney Dork " I get you, I know there's no harm meant. Hey when you can't afford to climb the temple steps at Chichen Itza in Southern Mexico or hike to Machu Picchu in Peru I can always take a 2 1/2-3 hr drive up to Disney World and listen to live Mariachi and sip on Margaritas at the Mexican Pavillion in Epcot or check out the Tower of Terror at the Hollywood Studios !!! I've always been a Walt Disney fan, I grew up with the Wonderful World of Disney... Old Yeller .... Disney Cartoons... etc. you get the point. Even though it's a big corporate money maker the park still holds to Walt's standards and he's still there in essence (to a degree). My enjoyment comes from going with my girlfriend, niece and nephew, and their parents and the experience never lets me down. ;)

micsteam

Hey Stoo,
remember the vehicle thread where I had said I was going to WDW ?? Well I'm going at the end of Aug. (I'll post pics when I get back, if there's anything specific you want let me know)but I wanted to mention this to you, I was on Youtube the other day when they showed videos of DinseyLand and the Indiana Jones Temple of the Forbidden Eye attraction and the truck they have out front looks spot on for the Nazi truck in the chase scene in Raiders. Give a shout when you can.

Stoo

Hey micsteam, saw that you tried to PM me but my Inbox was full.

This is Exulted Unicorn's thread but I'd personally like to see good photos of the often-neglected vehicles, such as the Citroën truck from the desert chase in "Crusade" and the motorcycles. These may still be part of the Back Lot Tour so check it out. Have fun sipping on margaritas in Orlando and looking forward to your snapshots!:D

Yes, I'm also pretty convinced that the truck at the Forbidden Eye ride is genuine. The markings on the door are different but that's probably a replacement door anyway, since the original broke off. Does anyone know if the truck has been there ever since the ride opened in 1995?:confused: I'm still doubting that the real truck was at Cars of the Stars in Cumbria. Perhaps they had it before 1995 and sold it to Disney?:confused:

What's odd is that, even though the windshields, passenger door and grille have been repaired, the hood ornament is still missing!:eek:

RaidersTruck.jpg

---
NEW DISCOVERY!
It looks like the Mercedes-Benz G5 Geländewagen from "Raiders" is in a museum at Melody Ranch Motion Picture Studio in Newhall, Santa Clarita Valley, California which opened in 2001. (Incidentally, the 2nd half of "Young Indy and the Hollywood Follies" takes place in Newhall.;))

Click on this link for more details:
http://www.therpf.com/f45/raiders-lost-ark-other-props-melody-ranch-studio-145980/

raiders-lost-ark-other-props-melody-ranch-studio-rola-car.jpg-91912d1335219691

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
This is Exulted Unicorn's thread but I'd personally like to see good photos of the often-neglected vehicles, such as the Citroën truck from the desert chase in "Crusade"

This one?

Wonder what became of it after that Ebay sale?