Cité de la Foudre

Stoo

Well, I finished the covers. Here are some comparison images. I sent off the first batch of translations to DIrish for some Americanization.
(Plus, DB, any chance we can get a scan of the Bagheera version's last page? The one with the uncensored "wardrobe malfunction"?)
How do we proceed? Should the new, fixed pages be posted here are only just links to the files? Is bandwidth an issue?:confused:

CiteFoudre_CoverComparison.jpg

CiteFoudre_00_CoverComparison.jpg

DIrishB

Stoo said:
Well, I finished the covers. Here are some comparison images. I sent off the first batch of translations to DIrish for some Americanization.

Whoops! I had the first few pages done, but forgot to do the rest! I'll finish them up this weekend.

(Plus, DB, any chance we can get a scan of the Bagheera version's last page? The one with the uncensored "wardrobe malfunction"?)

Absolutely.

How do we proceed? Should the new, fixed pages be posted here are only just links to the files? Is bandwidth an issue?:confused:

I'm not sure if bandwidth is an issue or not, but I think the safer route is to just post links instead of posting the images. The links work the same anyway. Maybe even collect them all into a PDF file or something like was done with the Secret de la Pyramid translated scans.

Stoo

I think I've found the reason why the Shell/Canadian version changed the date from 1930 to 1933. Gandhi says:

Do not forget the oath of independence that we have made and which declares: ?It was a crime against man and
against God to subject ourselves to British domination.? Since the 26th of January 1930, day where this resolution
was adopted by the congress, we consider this day as the Day of Independence and we celebrate it each year by
deploying a new flag of three colours?but we should mark/note our disobedience once again. We are going to defy
the laws that we consider injust and for this?

The passage doesn't make much sense if the year is 1930 (which is odd that this date was used in the first place).

DIrishB said:
Maybe even collect them all into a PDF file or something like was done with the Secret de la Pyramid translated scans.
Putting them all into a PDF document is a great idea. With all the supplemental pages included, it will be a nice, little package.
(Expect an e-mail soon with the translations of pages 7-17 for you to clean up!)

Rob Dangerous said:
If hosting/bandwidth ever becomes an issue, just send all that stuff to me.
Good of you to offer and I may just take you up on that.:)

DIrishB

Stoo said:
I think I've found the reason why the Shell/Canadian version changed the date from 1930 to 1933. Gandhi says:

Do not forget the oath of independence that we have made and which declares: ?It was a crime against man and
against God to subject ourselves to British domination.? Since the 26th of January 1930, day where this resolution
was adopted by the congress, we consider this day as the Day of Independence and we celebrate it each year by
deploying a new flag of three colours?but we should mark/note our disobedience once again. We are going to defy
the laws that we consider injust and for this?

The passage doesn't make much sense if the year is 1930 (which is odd that this date was used in the first place).

Hmmmm...I'll have to read the rest of the comic to be sure. Is there anything in it which relates directly to that? Only read your translations for the first six pages or so, so I can't offer a valid opinion until the full comic is translated. Or does Ghandi actually appear in the comic saying that (the quote above)? If so it does lean towards a post 1930 year dating (since mention of "celebrate it each year" indicates its been celebrated more than once.

Putting them all into a PDF document is a great idea. With all the supplemental pages included, it will be a nice, little package.

Its Rob's idea...he did it with the Secret de la Pyramid pages and I figured doing the same here just plain makes sense. ;)

(Expect an e-mail soon with the translations of pages 7-17 for you to clean up!)

I'm eagerly awaiting it. You got the first six pages (with my minor changes), right?

Stoo

DIrishB said:
Hmmmm...I'll have to read the rest of the comic to be sure. Is there anything in it which relates directly to that? Only read your translations for the first six pages or so, so I can't offer a valid opinion until the full comic is translated. Or does Ghandi actually appear in the comic saying that (the quote above)? If so it does lean towards a post 1930 year dating (since mention of "celebrate it each year" indicates its been celebrated more than once.
Yes, that's an actual quote from the comic but I've just read more that confirms the year as 1930.
The story takes place during Gandhi's famous Salt March and a quick check (on da global intranetses)
dates that as 16 March - 6 April, 1930. Here's another example where "real-life" events collide with
the Indy-world as it's supposed to be October.

Since October isn't given in the opening blurb of the 1st panel but on the handwritten, preface page instead,
perhaps Indy wrote the story in Oct. about his adventures back in March?:p

Gandhi/Indy Connections: Amrish Puri (Mola Ram) and Roshan Seth (Chatter Lal) are both in the "Gandhi" film
and Indy was to have met him in the un-produced TV episode Bombay, April 1919.

DIrishB said:
You got the first six pages (with my minor changes), right?
Yep, got 'em and will use about 95% of them.;) Thanks, man!:hat: I have no idea what's coming up since I've haven't read the thing in full yet.

Last edited:

Stoo

Correct! As a matter of fact, that's where the term "thug" comes from (even though it's pronounced "tug" & "tuggee")!

DIrishB

Stoo said:
Yes, that's an actual quote from the comic but I've just read more that confirms the year as 1930.
The story takes place during Gandhi's famous Salt March and a quick check (on da global intranetses)
dates that as 16 March - 6 April, 1930. Here's another example where "real-life" events collide with
the Indy-world as it's supposed to be October.

Since October isn't given in the opening blurb of the 1st panel but on the handwritten, preface page instead,
perhaps Indy wrote the story in Oct. about his adventures back in March?:p

I think that a safe assumption. His quote is dated as Oct, 1930, but I don't see why the story can't take place in March/April of 1930 to coincide with the real world dates.

I'll apply that to my Indy timeline.

Thanks for clearing that up, Stoo!

Yep, got 'em and will use about 95% of them.;) Thanks, man!:hat: I have no idea what's coming up since I've haven't read the thing in full yet.

Whatever you think is best. After all, they're only suggestions.

Johnny Jones

Stoo said:
Correct! As a matter of fact, that's where the term "thug" comes from (even though it's pronounced "tug" & "tuggee")!
Wait, do you mean you're not supposed to pronounce "thug" with the "th" sound? :confused: Anyway I wasn't sure if the language link would have carried over into French too but figured it was likely. Of course the way they dress, try to strangle Indy and worship the enormous statue of Kali didn't give me any hints :gun:

Although it could possibly raise some continuity issues:
[Five years later]
Willie Scott: What is it?
Indy: Ah, it's just another Thuggee ceremony. But it looks like they've upgraded their evil temple! This time they have a lava pit!
No serious complaints here though. Can't wait to see the finished product!:whip:

Stoo

DIrishB said:
I think that a safe assumption. His quote is dated as Oct, 1930, but I don't see why the story can't take place in March/April of 1930 to coincide with the real world dates.

I'll apply that to my Indy timeline.

Thanks for clearing that up, Stoo!
No problemo, amigo. Gotta set it straight, y'know?

Johnny Jones said:
Wait, do you mean you're not supposed to pronounce "thug" with the "th" sound? :confused: Anyway I wasn't sure if the language link would have carried over into French too but figured it was likely.
That's right. The "h" is not supposed to be pronounced. The film isn't really wrong since the word changed over time
and became westernized. To the N. American ear, the correct pronunciation is close to "tuck" (for a single Thug)
and "tuckee" for the group of Thuggee as a whole. The plural word, "Thugs", is a western creation now synonymous
with "muggers, brutes, hitmen, etc."

Not sure if you know but an "h" in French is always silent (even though it exists in written form). Just to clarifiy.;)
If this stuff interests you, check this amazing thread! Not a lot on Thug pronunciation but chock full of other trivial nuggets.
Spoken Hindi in the Temple of Doom

Johnny Jones said:
Although it could possibly raise some continuity issues:
[Five years later]
Willie Scott: What is it?
Indy: Ah, it's just another Thuggee ceremony. But it looks like they've upgraded their evil temple! This time they have a lava pit!
No serious complaints here though. Can't wait to see the finished product!:whip:
Ha ha! True! How 'bout: "No one has seen this for a hundred years...except me...":p

Johnny Jones

Stoo said:
That's right. The "h" is not supposed to be pronounced. The film isn't really wrong since the word changed over time
and became westernized. To the N. American ear, the correct pronunciation is close to "tuck" (for a single Thug)
and "tuckee" for the group of Thuggee as a whole.
That's how Mola Ram pronounces it ("soon the Tuckee will be all-powerful") but I just sort of assumed for a while that it was part of his accent.
Stoo said:
Not sure if you know but an "h" in French is always silent (even though it exists in written form). Just to clarifiy.
If this stuff interests you, check this amazing thread! Not a lot on Thug pronunciation but chock full of other trivial nuggets.
Spoken Hindi in the Temple of Doom
I did know that once but hadn't remembered, thanks. I took Spanish in high school so I just learned a little French from my mother and from living near Quebec. Thanks for the thread, that was interesting, especially "His life is in my fist!":eek:
Stoo said:
Ha ha! True! How 'bout: "No one has seen this for a hundred years...except me...":p
Ha! Better than mine... I'll bet that's what he says in the French dubbed version!;)

Stoo

Cité de la Foudre - TRANSLATED (Part 1)

It's been awhile but here's the first part of the translated version of "Indiana Jones et la Cité de la Foudre".
Included are both the BAGHEERA and SHELL covers plus a supplemental page from the Shell edition.

The extra, SHELL pages are finished but I figured it would be better to launch straight into the story.
(For completists, I'll post the remaining Shell pages at the end.;) )

BIG, big thanks to Icybro and DIrishB for providing the page scans!:hat:(y) If Rob Dangerous, or someone else,
wants to start compiling them into an available .PDF document, please do so.

CiteFoudre_00_CoverA_ENG.jpg
CiteFoudre_00_CoverA_FRE.jpg

CiteFoudre_00_CoverB_ENG.jpg
CiteFoudre_00_CoverB_FRE.jpg

CiteFoudre_00a_Frontispiece_ENG.jpg

CiteFoudre_00d_GraphicText_ENG.jpg
CiteFoudre_00d_GraphicText_FRE.jpg

CiteFoudre_01a_ENG.jpg
CiteFoudre_01a_FRE.jpg

CiteFoudre_01b_ENG.jpg

CiteFoudre_02_ENG.jpg

CiteFoudre_03_ENG.jpg

DIrishB

Awesome, Stoo. The translations look great! Can't wait to see the rest of the tale posted. And if need be, I can start scanning the third volume's (Grimoire le maudit) pages when you're ready. Great job, Stoo.