Awards & nominations

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah. Awards.

KOTCS won Britain's National Movie Award in the Action/Adventure category.

This appears to be the National Movie Award's second year of existence. As it seems the winner in the alleged categories are determined by people's choice, which makes it some kind of poll.
The biggest shock of the night was HARRISON FORD’s dodgy moustache as he thanked the audience for the Best Action Movie Award for Indy IV by satellite from LA. [The Sun]

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Hmmm - I wonder if this award is proof positive that polls/awards reflect the "truth" (as those exponents of the Moviefone poll would have us believe), and that KOTCS is indeed a great action movie?

Interesting that nothing is ever that black or white... ;)

The Man

Two vastly different criteria between the Moviefone poll and these, ahem, 'awards'*.

What was Crystal Knob categorised with? The Mummy 3? Ooh, tough competition! Was it up against The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Juno, Mamma Mia?

5%, guys. 5%...

*I must confess, though, that this news has cheered my morning. That Crystal Skull won an award is heart-warmingly hilarious...

Darth Vile

Yep - Thought as much. Selective critiquing. I love the smell of cherry picking in the morning. Smells like... defeat. :p

I don't think you can pick and choose with these things. You either believe that awards and polls always reflect quality, or like me, that they are subjective and 9 times out of 10... simply provide a snap shot of popular opinion.

Last edited:

The Man

Darth Vile said:
Yep - Thought as much. Selective critiquing. I love the smell of cherry picking in the morning. Smells like... defeat.

There's nothing selective about it, Darth. Both polls have different criteria, which I've acknowledged. If you're content that Indy 4 can best compete against The Mummy 3, then you're absolutely right. How many voters who watched Indy 4 even saw Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor?

And about this 'truth' business: it was you who attempted the blur the line between that and reality in the Moviefone thread. Do you believe that AOL pollsters are lying? That they're retarded? That they're opinion is beneath consideration?

The reality of last night's event is that Crystal Skull won an award when not competing with the best of this summer's - the year's - movies. Now that's selective...

Truth? Take it away, Jack...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UXoNE14U_zM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UXoNE14U_zM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

graz

Since we're in the habit of using any poll to support our personal viewpoint, I think this pretty much backs up my view that the casual moviegoer in Britain really enjoyed KOTCS - certainly the feedback I have had from family and friends.

Come on The Man, let us have our moment in the sun you old misery! ;)

The Man

graz said:
Come on The Man, let us have our moment in the sun you old misery! ;)

beach_closed.jpg

Darth Vile

The Man said:
There's nothing selective about it, Darth. Both polls have different criteria, which I've acknowledged. If you're content that Indy 4 can best compete against The Mummy 3, then you're absolutely right. How many voters who watched Indy 4 even saw Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor?

And about this 'truth' business: it was you who attempted the blur the line between that and reality in the Moviefone thread. Do you believe that AOL pollsters are lying? That they're retarded? That they're opinion is beneath consideration?

The reality of last night's event is that Crystal Skull won an award when not competing with the best of this summer's - the year's - movies. Now that's selective...

Truth? Take it away, Jack...

C'mon - That wasn't my point and you know it. I don't think Moviefone pollsters were lying; I just don't believe their opinion is in any way a barometer of quality (neither is the British National Movie Awards, but it's as valid as Moviefone). The Moviefone results were being used to demonstrate the ?truth? that some on these boards expose i.e. KOTCS was sub par/inferior? and that?s the ?truth? that I refute.

Two things I have little confidence in as a gauge of quality? polls/awards and box office returns. I?m sure KOTCS will win many a minor award, and I?m sure the final tally of revenue from box office and DVD sales will be colossal? but, in my opinion, it?s a measure of success/popularity only. Quality, if it can be measured objectively, has to be gleaned by other means. I apply the same principle to movies I like and movies I dislike.

Darth Vile

Benraianajones said:
To be honest, I prefer KOTCS to Iron Man, to me that is just another comic book film, and generally crash bang wollop.

Completely agree. There are elements of TDK, for example, that I believe are better than KOTCS... be it the overall drama, the sombre tone or even general calibre of acting on display. But there is nothing in Iron Man (apart from Robert Downey Jnr.) that I see as superior to KOTCS in any way.

Liberator

...but surely if it's as bad as the "plausibles" make out, it wouldn't have won at all? If it truly is the worst movie ever to befoul the silver screen then surely even Wanted would have kicked it's ass?

I voted in this poll for a giggle, there were a lot more than 3 other films on the list. I can't remember what they were though, which is unhelpful.

Personally I thought The Dark Knight was a mess.

Dr.Sartorius

Darth Vile said:
Completely agree. There are elements of TDK, for example, that I believe are better than KOTCS... be it the overall drama, the sombre tone or even general calibre of acting on display. But there is nothing in Iron Man (apart from Robert Downey Jnr.) that I see as superior to KOTCS in any way.

I thought Indy 4 was 50X more fun than The Dark Knight. It was easily the most fun movie of the summmer (and the year) for me.

I thought TDK's dialogue and villains were more compelling than Indy 4's. But as pure summer popcorn entertainment KOTCS succeeded incredibly well. TDK was kind of a downer.

Indy's brother

You know, there's been a lot of loose talk on these boards lately about the validity of these polls. Why don't we settle it once and for all and have a poll with the same movies/categories, and see what the indy fan demographic has to say about the KOTCS experience?

Niteshade007

Dr.Sartorius said:
I thought Indy 4 was 50X more fun than The Dark Knight. It was easily the most fun movie of the summmer (and the year) for me.

I thought TDK's dialogue and villains were more compelling than Indy 4's. But as pure summer popcorn entertainment KOTCS succeeded incredibly well. TDK was kind of a downer.

Well, of course Indy was more fun. It was an adventure film where the hero gets the girl and saves humanity. The Dark Knight was pretty depressing. A sociopath killing everyone, a white knight gets scarred and loses the woman he loves, as does the film's hero. Not only does he lose her, but it turns out that even if she hadn't died, she still wouldn't be with him. It's a depressing film, but still incredibly well made.

Indy's brother said:
You know, there's been a lot of loose talk on these boards lately about the validity of these polls. Why don't we settle it once and for all and have a poll with the same movies/categories, and see what the indy fan demographic has to say about the KOTCS experience?

Because there will never be a "once and for all," and there can't be. Opinions aren't going to change over a poll. People who disliked the movie won't suddenly love it once they realize that others do. Also, while the Dark Knight was easily my favorite movie of the summer, I don't think it's fair to compare Indy to it. The Dark Knight was a serious film, one that took itself seriously and didn't rush to get to any sort of conclusion. Indiana Jones was made with fun in mind, for better or for worse.

Comparing Indy to the Mummy? Sure. I haven't seen it though. Iron Man? Yeah, it's popcorn and, while it has serious moments, overall the sense of "fun" is there. Mamma Mia? Eh. The Dark Knight? I wouldn't.

Darth Vile

Niteshade007,

I broadly agree with your comments... TDK and KOTCS are not comparable. It's easy to have a preference of course, but it's really apples and oranges.

Also - A further poll on these boards would prove little for the reasons you mention. Besides, we've already had a poll and the majority thought KOTCS was "fair to great" (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

graz

Liberator said:
...but surely if it's as bad as the "plausibles" make out, it wouldn't have won at all? If it truly is the worst movie ever to befoul the silver screen then surely even Wanted would have kicked it's ass?

I voted in this poll for a giggle, there were a lot more than 3 other films on the list. I can't remember what they were though, which is unhelpful.

Personally I thought The Dark Knight was a mess.

Thats interesting, so in other words if KOTCS hadn't been well enough liked it wouldn't even have made the final four (let alone win it). As I've said, alot of good feeling out there from casual British moviegoer...

Darth Vile

graz said:
Thats interesting, so in other words if KOTCS hadn't been well enough liked it wouldn't even have made the final four (let alone win it). As I've said, alot of good feeling out there from casual British moviegoer...

Agreed ? And as I keep rattling on about? whilst it?s no indicator of quality per se, it is an indicator of popularity (just like the Moviefone results). The movie going public, in general, liked KOTCS.

indyrcks

Congratulations for winning the award for best action adventure film Harrison Ford you rock and it just shows Indiana Jones still rocks after 19 years :)